40174 - LEGO Chess

Voltron

Lego cant seem to ever get a chess set done with no mistakes doubt they will put the set on hold and do an instructions reprint and reseal the sets like last time.  The set is deceiving it definitely doesn't look like 1,450 pieces (that's more then an ISD)  when you open it and there are only a few small bags.  Build is straight forward, fast and simple.  Finished product looks great and pieces fit inside. Will test functionality this weekend when I play a Match with my dad.   

chess.png

• Like 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Built this a week ago with my 6-year-old while my wife was out shopping.  Went together pretty fast.  Wanted a chess/checkers set that I could keep out to play with our kids and have the wife's aesthetics approval (she's not a huge AFOL)

6-year-old wanted to play that night but it was too late when we finished.  Next day after getting home from work, noticed it had been played.  My wife played checkers with her that day.  Wife approved.  Still sitting on the built-in shelves in the living room with all of the other stuff she likes to buy from her various home stores.

I think this set will do well.  I have my share of Pirate's Chess sitting waiting to sell someday.  Many AFOL will like the themed sets, but there are those of us who are closet AFOL's, grown-up, married with kids, and will need something like this to pass the spouse gate. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy

40174 is £45.99 and also limit 20 in the UK. However, 40158 Pirates Chess isn't doing at all well in the UK so think carefully before ordering 40174 in quantity. I have one for personal use and I think it's by far the best chess set that LEGO have released in recent years. The US seems a better aftermarket than the UK for this one, shame about the international postage. Could it be that less have been shipped to the US than Europe, hence the rarity?

I have a buddy coming over from DFW next month who works for AA cargo, maybe I can tell him to buy 20 to take back home? He has a free 100KG baggage allowance!

40158 was a part-out dream. I made 3x RRP on them and flipped 54 in total, as fast as I could get my hands on them. The minifigs were the gamechanger - with the pirates theme dead and gone, there was a solid year where 40158 had the market cornered for bulk bluecoat & pirate bulk minifigs. Could almost double your money just parting out the mf into a couple of lots, and then get to 3x on the 750 remaining parts.

40174 is a totally different dynamic - adult chess fan appeal as a complete set, which 40158 never really had going for it. They might both be "chess sets", but are still distinct themes, so comparisons aren't terribly valid...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
40158 was a part-out dream. I made 3x RRP on them and flipped 54 in total, as fast as I could get my hands on them. The minifigs were the gamechanger - with the pirates theme dead and gone, there was a solid year where 40158 had the market cornered for bulk bluecoat & pirate bulk minifigs. Could almost double your money just parting out the mf into a couple of lots, and then get to 3x on the 750 remaining parts.

40174 is a totally different dynamic - adult chess fan appeal as a complete set, which 40158 never really had going for it. They might both be "chess sets", but are still distinct themes, so comparisons aren't terribly valid...

Any hints as to which combinations of pirate/bluecoat figures sell well? What bundles did you create?

Any hints as to which combinations of pirate/bluecoat figures sell well? What bundles did you create?

Lots of 20. Combine 2 sets worth of pirates/bluecoats. So it comes out to like 16 generic pirates, 2 queens, 2 redbeards. Then 8 swords + 10 rifles.

Was making about $40-50 a pop on those (which basically covers the cost of the set, leaving 700+ parts as gravy).

That was over a year ago now though, can’t speak to the current market on them, obviously.
  • Like 2

Lots of 20. Combine 2 sets worth of pirates/bluecoats. So it comes out to like 16 generic pirates, 2 queens, 2 redbeards. Then 8 swords + 10 rifles.

Was making about $40-50 a pop on those (which basically covers the cost of the set, leaving 700+ parts as gravy).

That was over a year ago now though, can’t speak to the current market on them, obviously.

Current sold prices for lots of 10 are around $25 including shipping, so that means around $18 in profit. Only lot of 20 that sold was one of the bluecoats with proper hats, which sold for $72 for 20. I still have 11 chess sets, debating if selling the figs in lots or one by one via BL. Maybe I need to do some more research :)
  • Like 1

Current sold prices for lots of 10 are around $25 including shipping, so that means around $18 in profit. Only lot of 20 that sold was one of the bluecoats with proper hats, which sold for $72 for 20. I still have 11 chess sets, debating if selling the figs in lots or one by one via BL. Maybe I need to do some more research

I had 52 sets when it was all said and done. Sold the mf’s individually at first, but found the extra couple percentage points of profit just wasnt worth the hassle of 20 individual sales vs 1.

I was also selling exclusively on eBay, so that may have been a factor as well...

• 3 months later...