TRUTH Tactics : and now the end is here

Alpinemaps

Does anyone have info on JW restock at TRU, specifically IR?  I was using 25% coupon + TRUTH + GC to purchase for <$90.  Flip the dino + minifigs and I am left with a pretty solid part-out.  I was buying one per week, but all TRU (and apparently WM and most Targets) in my area have been wiped out.  Curious if they will restock before the 25% coupon expires.

Edited by baschloinka

So TRUTH noob here. I just got my card in the mail and have a question about partial payment. Does the partial payment have to be put on the card first before the gift card or does it not matter?

It's first. The screen will ask you if you want to partial pay. Then you scan the GC for balance.

I'm not positive it matters.  They need to know you will be using your TRU CC.  I have been getting the 10% with the sequence of: ring up purchase, give cashier coupon(s), tell cashier I will pay with TRU CC but that I need to get rid of some GC, use GC to deduct from the order total, pay balance with TRU CC.  I think the key is that the cashier knows you will be putting at least part of the purchase on your CC.

I'm not positive it matters.  They need to know you will be using your TRU CC.  I have been getting the 10% with the sequence of: ring up purchase, give cashier coupon(s), tell cashier I will pay with TRU CC but that I need to get rid of some GC, use GC to deduct from the order total, pay balance with TRU CC.  I think the key is that the cashier knows you will be putting at least part of the purchase on your CC.

the last couple of cashiers I've had told me they needed to do the partial pay first in order for to 10 % off to work. Not sure if that's true or if they just don't know how else to do it.

Since I recently got my card and have been using it on overdrive.

I have them

- Scan Rewards R Us Card
- Scan Product
- Tell them 10% TRU cc discount they hit a key
- Have them apply other coupons
- Get total
- Swipe TRU cc
- Hit Partial pay $1-$5 varying amounts to not be too repetitive on authorizations
- Hand them gift card sheet to scan or key in or whatever
- Get receipt
- Rinse and repeat if the coupon was 25% off one item
- Have the line of people pile up behind me
- Have my TRU friends say Ma'am or Sir we are going to be a while if you want to go to see xxxxxx in electronics right there they will check you out

• Like 3

I have them

- Scan Rewards R Us Card
- Scan Product
- Get total
- Swipe TRU cc
- Hit Partial pay $1-$5 varying amounts to not be too repetitive on authorizations
- Get receipt
- Have my TRU friends say Ma'am or Sir we are going to be a while if you want to go to see xxxxxx in electronics right there they will check you out

Thanks for this. Are you using the 25% on your phone or do you have the physical coupon? If you are using on your phone, when you say rinse and repeat-are you going through 1 transaction and then doing a whole new transaction using the same coupon on your phone? Do they not give you crap about that?

I saw the new Friends: Heartlake Jet and Pop Star Stage at TRU today, but came back empty handed again.  I have one 20% off coupon left and some discount gift cards to use, but they are pretty low on old stock and the big stuff is mostly gone.  All else fails, I'll buy a Shuttle Tydirium next week.

I saw the new Friends: Heartlake Jet and Pop Star Stage at TRU today, but came back empty handed again.  I have one 20% off coupon left and some discount gift cards to use, but they are pretty low on old stock and the big stuff is mostly gone.  All else fails, I'll buy a Shuttle Tydirium next week.

same here, did not find anything too compelling after scoring on target and walmart clearance.  new city, friends and elves sets are tempting, but with so much else available and coming im not sure im ready to gamble on them.  my regular store was wiped out of the larger JW sets, and I have my fill on SW till the new sets hit (or we see better than ~30% off).  Saving my gift cards for SW:FA sets.  

I did notice online there are a lot of discounts, of a few bucks here and there, some sets even bellow RRP.  will be curious to see if we see a decent instore clearance in august.

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 1

Lays night a cashier I've had once or twice before saw me and said "Ahh, it's lego day!", which I initially wrote off as being a comment about the 3 boxes I was buying. Then she said "have your rewards card? of course you do!"....hmmm...getting more familiar. Then as I was leaving, "see you next Thursday!" Seems as though she has me pegged :blush:

• Like 3

Lays night a cashier I've had once or twice before saw me and said "Ahh, it's lego day!", which I initially wrote off as being a comment about the 3 boxes I was buying. Then she said "have your rewards card? of course you do!"....hmmm...getting more familiar. Then as I was leaving, "see you next Thursday!" Seems as though she has me pegged :blush:

perhaps she'd like you to take her out for a nice steak dinner?

• Like 1

do all TRU stores have that option of donating some money to Alex's Lemonade Stand? I've been throwing a few bucks to that with every purchase and one cashier in particular is elated every time and gives me rock star treatment. Nice little win-win.

when I saw that the last time I went I wasn't familiar with the organization. Now I know that it raises money for children's cancer. Next time I go I will contribute.

Last night I had my first difficulty with using the bar code on my phone.  The cashier looked like a typical young bored male employee, so I figured it would be another easy transaction.  But when I pulled out the phone and said that I also have a coupon to apply, he was the first employee I've had who even paused to look at the screen instead of just scanning it.  He then asked me where I got it and seemed like he was going to refuse it.  But I just said I found it online and then asked him if he could just scan it to see if it works.  He was reluctant, but did anyway, then said "you're paying with your TRU card, right?"  I said I was and then didn't have the nerve to partial pay and use a gift card too, since he was already looking at me like I was pulling a fast one, so I just paid the entire amount on my card. At least now I know which cashier to avoid in the future.

last Thursday my account didn't update till Monday . 

I had the same experience last week where I didn't see my Thursday purchases in my account until Monday, but this morning, my purchases from last night are already there.

I have them

- Scan Rewards R Us Card
- Scan Product
- Get total
- Swipe TRU cc
- Get receipt

Thanks for the run down. So you do as many different transactions as you want one right after the other? This has not gotten you in trouble? In other words, you buy x number of items one at a time all at the same time?

Last night I had my first difficulty with using the bar code on my phone.  The cashier looked like a typical young bored male employee, so I figured it would be another easy transaction.  But when I pulled out the phone and said that I also have a coupon to apply, he was the first employee I've had who even paused to look at the screen instead of just scanning it.  He then asked me where I got it and seemed like he was going to refuse it.  But I just said I found it online and then asked him if he could just scan it to see if it works.  He was reluctant, but did anyway, then said "you're paying with your TRU card, right?"  I said I was and then didn't have the nerve to partial pay and use a gift card too, since he was already looking at me like I was pulling a fast one, so I just paid the entire amount on my card. At least now I know which cashier to avoid in the future.

Just tell him it's the magical coupon which brings the item back down to retail price.

Edited by I am Niko