Gossip from the Milton Keynes Lego store

Whilst I was buying 10214 today in the Lego I though I would ask what they knew of EOL sets based on what I have read on the this site. 10197 Fire Bridge will go around June time, The Cinema will be released to VIP members mid Feb and everyone else in March 10211 The Emporium will be around at for another year. 10214 will go sometime this year to be replaced by the Sydney Opera House. But he told me that unofficially. I also asked about the LOTR current range going EOL mid this year as it had been rumored. He knew nothing about that and expected them to continue for the foreseeable future. In fact we will be getting a new lot of sets mid year, not sure if that is Hobbit or LOTR related but the range is set to expend, no reduce.

My Lego store guys said they were 110% positive that the DS would done by Oct of last year........I have said it many times the LEGO store employees know nothing, they operate on nothing but speculation like we do here, the difference between us and them is that they state their speculation as facts, which they are far from.

That why I entitled it gossip. But the guy I spoke to acknowledged nothing he had heard was fact, merely "informed" staff opinion. I suspect he is right about FB and the LOTR sets though. Hope so about the latter as I have not bought any yet! Pssst Steve, someone's nicked the S off your the LEGO in your signature! :)

I think it is fun to speculate, but in the end it really means nothing. I do think that the fire brigade is done, but who knows? If it does come back again, I would say it has become the modular set that they will just keep around forever (joking, I hope...). I read something about rumors in 2011 that the Sydney Opera House was going to be the next massive building that lego did. Apparently Lego had been working with those at the Opera House to design the Lego version of it. Get this, apparently it is planned to have over 6,000 pieces in it! Making it the biggest set ever, unless I am forgetting about a set? I personally would rather see them do a Roman Colosseum (current or past), but I wouldn't be upset if the Opera House was next.

I usually just ask the store manager what the stock looks like and if they know what they have coming in on future trucks. They are able to say when a set is retired, or when a theme is confirmed to go, but unless it is set in stone by HQ they know very little. As for the Opera House, I would expect somewhere between $300-400. The TB was $240 with over 4000 pieces, so I would imagine the Opera House following that, especially with the amount of tiny, detail oriented pieces involved with it.

I usually just ask the store manager what the stock looks like and if they know what they have coming in on future trucks. They are able to say when a set is retired, or when a theme is confirmed to go, but unless it is set in stone by HQ they know very little. As for the Opera House, I would expect somewhere between $300-400. The TB was $240 with over 4000 pieces, so I would imagine the Opera House following that, especially with the amount of tiny, detail oriented pieces involved with it.

Overestimated by just a little. Haha. (:

My Lego store guys said they were 110% positive that the DS would done by Oct of last year........I have said it many times the LEGO store employees know nothing, they operate on nothing but speculation like we do here, the difference between us and them is that they state their speculation as facts, which they are far from.

Would not suprise me if the stores do not get bonuses for the amount of monthly sales they do, so they spew crap to customers in hopes they will buy an item that is set to go EOL to increase their sales for the month.

I have no problem with speculation, as I also think its fun. What highly irritates me is the matter of factness that store employees use. On the rumored opera house note.....if it is gonnn be that big can you imagine the enormous price tag that it will carry?

That's one of the reasons I entitled this thread "Gossip" because that's all it is. To give this staff member his due he did confirm what he said is not necessarily definitely happening but gave his opinion based on his own knowledge and what he has heard internally.

I think it is fun to speculate, but in the end it really means nothing. I do think that the fire brigade is done, but who knows? If it does come back again, I would say it has become the modular set that they will just keep around forever (joking, I hope...). I read something about rumors in 2011 that the Sydney Opera House was going to be the next massive building that lego did. Apparently Lego had been working with those at the Opera House to design the Lego version of it. Get this, apparently it is planned to have over 6,000 pieces in it! Making it the biggest set ever, unless I am forgetting about a set? I personally would rather see them do a Roman Colosseum (current or past), but I wouldn't be upset if the Opera House was next.

If this is true, then OMGGGGGG!!!!! I need to relax because I am getting excited about nothing probably.....

Yeah agreed as always, these employees know ZERO..........I remember when they had me 110% convinced the DS and FB were getting retired fall of 2011 LOL. So I panicked and bought, bought, bought, and welp here we are in 2013 and still the "Live Star" and FB are readily available. Readily available at below msrp I might add.

Yeah agreed as always, these employees know ZERO..........I remember when they had me 110% convinced the DS and FB were getting retired fall of 2011 LOL. So I panicked and bought, bought, bought, and welp here we are in 2013 and still the "Live Star" and FB are readily available. Readily available at below msrp I might add.

Hehe when I got to the store, the 3 staff were building one of them. Obviously no one is buying them! :)

Hehe when I got to the store, the 3 staff were building one of them. Obviously no one is buying them! :)

Haha, that's because almost every investor is already sitting on multiples waiting for them to retire. Really no point in tying your money up in more at this point. Then again, the price per piece for the FB at $119 is really, really good! That's only 5 cents per piece roughly, and that's dirt cheap for LEGO. At $119 the FB is almost worth buying to use for building MOC's, etc.