eBay - Is fraud on the increase?

Guest TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

I thought I'd create a new topic as this isn't really "fruitcake" stuff, more like scamming bar stewards!

Out of the last 16 Star Wars UCS sets that I've sold, 4 have been "purchased" using compromised sellers' accounts - that's a shocking 25% fraud rate! Since this appears to be on the increase, I suggest you contact the buyer to confirm purchase and maybe wait 48 hours before posting any valuable item as it gives eBay/PayPal a chance to flag the transaction and advise you. I know this delays shipment, but any genuine buyer will understand.

This has only affected Star Wars sets so far as it's seems that the fraudsters aren't too interested in Modulars or Sea Cows. Then again, who is interested in a Sea Cow? ;-)

I've found another 10225 R2-D2 and 10221 SSD if anybody in the wants to PM me for a PayPal F&F or cash deal. I can post the R2-D2 but, I'd prefer the SSD to be collected.

Be careful out there, eBay security is going way downhill ;-(

Edited by TabbyBoy

Worrying to say the least, especially as i offer next day delivery if ordering before 12 noon. It's the only way i can compete as i refuse to undercut. So I can't really wait 48 hours, but i always check that both addresses match. Maybe I should write in the T&C's that a 5 delay will happen if there is a problem with the address or the buyer has more than 1 negative feedback in the last 12 months.

I made the decision to avoid large sets starting from this year, all my best performers are smaller sets, and they're easier to store, sell and ship. Plus scammers tend to go for the larger sets to make the scam worthwhile.

• Like 1

if you follow the rules then I've found you're covered.

I sold an ucs r2, shipped parcelforce and was signed for.

about a week later paypal chargeback. Supplied evidence of delivery and was sent to paypal verified address that also matched ebay.

I even called the mobile on the buyers account and he confirmed he'd been scammed, account hacked and purchased on his credit card. Parcel must've been intercepted at delivery as he didn't have it and signature wasn't his name. Maybe parcelforce cocked up by giving it someone else.

Paypal credited it me back so guess its left for them to chase and or his cc company

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, John82 said:

Worrying to say the least, especially as i offer next day delivery if ordering before 12 noon. It's the only way i can compete as i refuse to undercut. So I can't really wait 48 hours, but i always check that both addresses match. Maybe I should write in the T&C's that a 5 delay will happen if there is a problem with the address or the buyer has more than 1 negative feedback in the last 12 months.

I made the decision to avoid large sets starting from this year, all my best performers are smaller sets, and they're easier to store, sell and ship. Plus scammers tend to go for the larger sets to make the scam worthwhile.

In my last case, BOTH eBay and PayPal addresses matched and it was still a scam. I now have no choice, but to ask the buyer of a high value item to either call me or confirm their address which I can check via the electoral register (a mate has access). Considering eBay's high fees (esp. on postage!), they should really do a lot more to help sellers.

At least my new strategy is to sell what I have and only keep the smaller (often more profitable) sets which are easier to store and post.

I'm going to post the scammer a photo of my R2-D2 to remind him of his failure to get it ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, roxio said:

if you follow the rules then I've found you're covered.

I sold an ucs r2, shipped parcelforce and was signed for.

about a week later paypal chargeback. Supplied evidence of delivery and was sent to paypal verified address that also matched ebay.

I even called the mobile on the buyers account and he confirmed he'd been scammed, account hacked and purchased on his credit card. Parcel must've been intercepted at delivery as he didn't have it and signature wasn't his name. Maybe parcelforce cocked up by giving it someone else.

Paypal credited it me back so guess its left for them to chase and or his cc company

There you go, sodding Star Wars again!

When it first happened to me, it took me 6 weeks to get the payment released to me via PayPal (A UCS B-Wing this time) even though shipping was tracked with signature. It's so tempting to give these cretins a visit but, it'll only get messy. Again, the police don't want to know even though I have proof of fraud and the address of the recipient.

It still happens when addresses show as verified or confirmed so there's no way to check unless you make contact wth the genuine buyer first.

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

There you go, sodding Star Wars again!

When it first happened to me, it took me 6 weeks to get the payment released to me via PayPal (A UCS B-Wing this time) even though shipping was tracked with signature. It's so tempting to give these cretins a visit but, it'll only get messy. Again, the police don't want to know even though I have proof of fraud and the address of the recipient.i

It still happens when addresses show as verified or confirmed so there's nio way to check unless you make contact wth the genuine buyer first.

they were trying to stall and hold my funds while they investigated, but once I quoted their own t&c to them they gave funds back

I have had several in the past year. Several UCS Star Wars, a Tumbler, and a Technic Crane 8043. In all cases paypal protected me. 

I don't keep money in pp long so when the backcharge does happen I get a negative balance. It usually takes two weeks for them to sort it out. The first time it happened I was upset but now I don't sweat it. All part of the game. Credit Card fraud is a billion dollar problem, if you sell online it's going to happen to you. 

Have i missed something?  As far as i understand it, if you ship (tracked or signature) to the confirmed address given by ebay you are covered and got nothing to sweat.  There might be a delay in the funds arriving (withheld) but you would be protected under the Seller Protection thingy.

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've found another 10225 R2-D2 and 10221 SSD if anybody in the wants to PM me for a PayPal F&F or cash deal. I can post the R2-D2 but, I'd prefer the SSD to be collected.

Your inventory skills are good enough for you to be hired by Lego Shop at Home!

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Your inventory skills are good enough for you to be hired by Lego Shop at Home!

It's from the old days where I bought them before setting up a Brickfolio.

Twice now my listings for a Tumbler have been purchased by a Chinese scammer.

A few weeks ago, a listing was purchased. Before I sent it, PayPal asked me to stop shipment and hold the item.

Last night, a purchase was made. It's going to a very odd name at a forwarding company in Portland. When compared to the PayPal account holder the names aren't even close.

Of course, PayPal is no help. They told me I'm protected and I could send it. I told them it's obviously fraud and they should investigate. Their response - just cancel if your concerned.

I haven't heard back from "the buyer" but I went ahead and cancelled the purchase on eBay with a "address problem" as the reason.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I had 4 fraud cases in the last two months.  2 for death stars and two for maersk ships.  eBay and PayPal caught both quick.  I was out no money and no sets.  Still makes me nervous.  I think PayPal was hacked and they are trying to get it under wraps.

I had 2 fraud cases for maersk ships too... and one for a ewok village. I had already shipped the ewok set though, they sided with me as I had no reason to expect fraud as the person had over 100 transactions and had over 5 years with the account. Scary thing is it was 20 min away from me. I use a P.O. Box though and have an excellent alarm system, but can never be too careful.

13 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Fraud is on the rise.  eBay and Paypal protections are BS and very easy to circumvent.  Even for the so called slamdunk fraud cases, you will loose if the claims are handled by certain moronic agents at Paypal.  Good luck appealing with them because they do not reverse their decisions. :mad:

I had a case where they sided with me. Ladies son purchased a set and did not tell her or something. 3 months later was upset and claimed fraud. I sent shipping info and waited at least 2 weeks. Pay pal sided with me but then still took the money from me. I waited on hold for over an hour before they reversed my funds. The lady then tried to claim fraud again.... pay pal took care of it from there.

Tried to get me on Friday.  Someone bought 2 Grand Hotels, at above RRP.   Checked and PayPal showed it was a confirmed address.  Yet the Spidey sense was tingling so I had the staff hold it and not let the mail carrier pick it up.  Sure enough, Friday afternoon I get the unauthorized reversal from PayPal.  They didn't win this one.  I credit BP for keeping up the awareness of this fraud activity.  Thanks guys.

• Like 2

eBay GSP fraud was rampant prior to the holidays. Very easy to spot new eBay member signed up that day with multiple purchases and 0 feedback, also crazy long member names with multiple special characters and same for email. I would call ebay to report it as fraud and you know what they would say, "Ship it anyway we have to give our new members a chance". As long as it makes it to Erlanger I get paid so no real risk on my end but someone ebay, paypal, a bank are eating that loss and it gets passed onto us in fees. 

Big theft items in EU were electric razors like 10x more prevalent then lego. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Twice now my listings for a Tumbler have been purchased by a Chinese scammer.

A few weeks ago, a listing was purchased. Before I sent it, PayPal asked me to stop shipment and hold the item.

Last night, a purchase was made. It's going to a very odd name at a forwarding company in Portland. When compared to the PayPal account holder the names aren't even close.

Of course, PayPal is no help. They told me I'm protected and I could send it. I told them it's obviously fraud and they should investigate. Their response - just cancel if your concerned.

I haven't heard back from "the buyer" but I went ahead and cancelled the purchase on eBay with a "address problem" as the reason.

I had a sale to the same Portland address I think. Buyer had 5 feedback but I waited a couple days to ship. Got no email from Paypal or Ebay on any problem so I shipped it. Funny thing is seller became unregistered right after but so far no chargeback.