eBay 2017 Spring Seller Update - Wow

KShine

The most important stuff for TRS:

eBay Top Rated Seller changes

We’re making changes to the eBay Top Rated Seller program to better meet buyer expectations and retail standards.

Below standard changes

Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017. To make sure you’re meeting eBay’s minimum selling requirements, follow our selling best practices and check your seller dashboardregularly.

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

This is likely directly related to all the "it looks too good to be true but let's just buy it because EBay has my back" purchases people are making.

The stock has been at a 52 week high recently - So I think it is more directly related to the "more $ for ebay is more $ for ebay" theory.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KShine said:

The stock has been at a 52 week high recently - So I think it is more directly related to the "more $ for ebay is more $ for ebay" theory.

A company does not have to be profitable to attract investments (public stock or venture). See Tesla or Uber (especially the latter :) ).

Guest TabbyBoy

It won't be long before we see a 20% FVF at this rate. I remember the "glory days" of 5.25% FVF and I thought that was a piss-take. I think (and hope) that there'll be a massive backlash over this. I've now removed the following statement from my current listings:

"Please do not contact me to offer any deals outside of eBay as it's against their rules and transactions will not be protected."

If I now get an offer out of eBay from a buyer with a good history, I'll be accepting it.

The time will soon be here when eBay will be making more profit than the seller... THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE !!!

So private sellers will still get discounted FVF every month that always dip the prices of the larger sets, whilst the business sellers pay for it. Absolute joke.

I'm glad i'm a small timer that can spread the load across 3 private accounts, as Tabby says, the HMRC don't care as long as it's declared.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/

Still reading through it - But it isn't looking good.

TRS discounts (20%) have been slashed in half (will now be 10%).

TRS+ is officially not worth the extra craps you have to live with to get the discount

Ooo we are removing 3rd party ads. The question is, why the f--- did you have them to begin with ????

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
53 minutes ago, John82 said:

So private sellers will still get discounted FVF every month that always dip the prices of the larger sets, whilst the business sellers pay for it. Absolute joke.

I'm glad i'm a small timer that can spread the load across 3 private accounts, as Tabby says, the HMRC don't care as long as it's declared.

I had no choice to "downgrade" to a business account as I'd have been banned within 30 days. However, I was posting 250 items a month.

My initial reaction is to just say F-it and liquidate the last of my inventory before the end of April.

But I don't think the impact will be all that bad.

1. I've got a 100% "timely tracking upload" metric over my past 642 transactions, so that threshold going from 90% to 95% is a non-factor. I gotta believe I'm hardly alone in that (notwithstanding those with defunct USPS offices).

2. I need to double check the math, but the FVF discount going from 20% to 10% isn't as much a fee hike as it sounds - basically the fees will be going from like 8% to 9% as a result.

If anything I'll probably just tighten down my quantity of listings, and cancel the "store" subscription, since it appears there's not as much incentive for that anymore...

10 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

No doubt it adds up. Just pointing out the 10% discount reduction only translates to around a 1% fee hike. It's not like fees are going up 10%.

A 1%-point fee hike. Fees are going up 12.5% (8% of $100 = $8, 9% of $100 = $9, a 12.5% increase in fee paid).

I know, maffemattics, its harrrd.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1