Paypal hit me with a 9% fee ?

I am a seller on Bricklink with a small number of sales - one a month or so and have used paypal for payment.  I have always in the past received a message from paypal with a subject like "<person" send you <amount> , and the body just provides the amount and any note.  When looking at my paypal account there is (as expected) a deduction of around 3.4% from the payment.

This week I sold a small item on Bricklink and got a different email from paypal with a subject line "You've got money" and a different content - but this time it shows a transaction fee in the email - and it a was 9.1% fee.  Wow - on their fee information paypal say it is 0-2500 (or something) at 3.4%. Why did I get such a big fee this time, was the money sent differently by the buyer ?

Thanks , and sorry for being a beginner here - never seen this before over several years.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, TomOOO said:

I am a seller on Bricklink with a small number of sales - one a month or so and have used paypal for payment.  I have always in the past received a message from paypal with a subject like "<person" send you <amount> , and the body just provides the amount and any note.  When looking at my paypal account there is (as expected) a deduction of around 3.4% from the payment.

This week I sold a small item on Bricklink and got a different email from paypal with a subject line "You've got money" and a different content - but this time it shows a transaction fee in the email - and it a was 9.1% fee.  Wow - on their fee information paypal say it is 0-2500 (or something) at 3.4%. Why did I get such a big fee this time, was the money sent differently by the buyer ?

Thanks , and sorry for being a beginner here - never seen this before over several years.

Did you add the 30p as PayPal charge 3.4% plus 30p on top?

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, TomOOO said:

OK - so there is a "fixed" minimal amount of 30p on top of 3.4% - I did not see that in their fee structure and not noticed that on small sales before

Typo... it's 20p on top not 30p ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, TomOOO said:

If your buyer uses PayPal, you’ll have to pay extra fees. PayPal charges you 3.4% of the total sale, for sales of less than £1,500, plus 20p per transaction  : final found this on a non-paypal web page (newspaper) - sorry for being a bit slow in finding that.

Not a problem, I won't be surprised if eBay add some sneaky pennies to their Final Value Fees one day.