Amazon & Online Retail's Brick&Mortar victims

Phil B

Came across this on CNN today: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/investing/retail-stress-great-recession-amazon/index.html?iid=EL

The number of distressed U.S. retailers has tripled since the Great Recession and now stands at the highest level since the end of the downturn, according to a recent Moody's Investors Service report. These companies are grappling with intense competition, "erratic management" and limited financial flexibility, Moody's said.

The 19 retail and clothing companies on the distressed list include Sears and Kmart owner Sears Holdings (SHLD), J. Crew, Payless, Claire's, Rue21 and True Religion.

<snip>

Recent weeks have provided new evidence of the struggles of traditional retail. Sears stock recently plunged to an all-time low, JCPenney (JCP) announced plans to shutter up to 140 stores, and Target (TGT) shocked Wall Street with terrible holiday sales.

<snip>

The other clothing companies on the distressed list are Gymboree, Nine West, NYDJ Apparel, Toms Shoes, David's Bridal and Totes. The other retailers are Fairway Market, Tops, Bon-Ton Stores, 99 Cents Only Stores, Savers thrift stores, Tucker Rocky and Charming Charlie.

Bold highlight is mine - You'd think perhaps if they had sold their Dimensions score for a few times higher, they could have paid off some debt?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I saw someone post this on facebook. "Amazon bought Target hurr durr." Then I searched news. EVERY result was "Amazon is NOT buying Target" or "Some Guy thinks Amazon may buy Target at some point." :smile:

I'm not sure why it's swirling through the rumor mills.

10 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm not sure why it's swirling through the rumor mills.

Because some guy said it may happen. An influential analyst, as it were. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon attempts to. But I WOULD be surprised if DOJ allowed it.

Edit: Gene Munster. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-02/amazon-will-buy-target-this-year-loup-s-gene-munster-predicts

Edited by minicoopers11