Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

18 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'll make it to the end of the year 

Lego have said plenty of times that these rumours are false and it will definitely be available in 2018.

the ideas team designers have addressed these rumours directly. Why would they release it and retire it in under 8 months, that's doesn't even fit the regular Ideas one year minimum.

the set isnt too hard to get if you have a physics store nearby

Guest TabbyBoy
14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Are you paying full RRP for these @TabbyBoy?

No... 5 were from LEGO with VIP points and promo and the other 5 were from John Lewis using friends' partnership discounts. Let's say they cost me about £90 each.

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Lego have said plenty of times that these rumours are false and it will definitely be available in 2018.

the ideas team designers have addressed these rumours directly. Why would they release it and retire it in under 8 months, that's doesn't even fit the regular Ideas one year minimum.

the set isnt too hard to get if you have a physics store nearby

I bet they assumed that with the 75912 MF and had to put the general release date back, which must have pissed of thousands of fans. Of course, LEGO can release it for a short run as they did with the Research Institute. The set is hard to get as most of us don't live anywhere near a LEGO store - do they teach physics there? ;-)

The demand for 21309 is astronomical (parden the pun) and I think they'll always struggle with demand. LEGO are producing so many sets now (a lot of which are expensive Disney crap) that they may struggle to schedule extra production for popular sets.

I’ve been watching this set on the John Lewis (JL) website since Tabby notified us it was back in stock on Thursday.

JL must have got a shed load in as it didnt sell out as quick as their last shipment of which I ordered one from. The last shipment didnt last 24hrs once released on their website.

Does that mean that Lego have lots of Saturns waiting to be released at SAH Europe once Double VIP is finished as some suspect.

1 hour ago, Blockbuster said:

I’ve been watching this set on the John Lewis (JL) website since Tabby notified us it was back in stock on Thursday.

JL must have got a shed load in as it didnt sell out as quick as their last shipment of which I ordered one from. The last shipment didnt last 24hrs once released on their website.

Does that mean that Lego have lots of Saturns waiting to be released at SAH Europe once Double VIP is finished as some suspect.

So many investors concentrating money into 21309.  But the winner will be somewhere else.  As always is. Still love 21309 and believe in good freeze.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
33 minutes ago, Hayttees said:

So many investors concentrating money into 21309.  But the winner will be somewhere else.  As always is. Still love 21309 and believe in good freeze.

Nobody knows how many 21309 investors there are. The UK may be safe due to only JL & LEGO (AFIK) selling these and imposing limits. Let’s hope that TRU don’t get there grubby paws on it!

It’s been selling for the biggest % above RRP of any current set so all bodes well.

Of course, there’s other “gems” out there, but very difficult to nail down. I have an idea what they could be, but I’ll keep to myself for now. All I’ll say is that it ain’t Modulars, Friends, City, Pooper Heroes or Star Wars ;-)

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nobody knows how many 21309 investors there are. The UK may be safe due to only JL & LEGO (AFIK) selling these and imposing limits. Let’s hope that TRU don’t get there grubby paws on it!

It’s been selling for the biggest % above RRP of any current set so all bodes well.

Of course, there’s other “gems” out there, but very difficult to nail down. I have an idea what they could be, but I’ll keep to myself for now. All I’ll say is that it ain’t Modulars, Friends, City, Pooper Heroes or Star Wars ;-)

That's ok, you're not buying anyway.  We're all safe!

dog-panting.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nobody knows, that true. I have my picks too. 21309 is one of them :)

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

The demand for 21309 is astronomical (parden the pun) and I think they'll always struggle with demand. LEGO are producing so many sets now (a lot of which are expensive Disney crap) that they may struggle to schedule extra production for popular sets.

The question is have Lego done more idiotic things? Yes therefore it is always a possiblty that it won't come back.

Common sense has never got in the way of desicions made by Lego.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hayttees said:

I nominate this post for the post of the year.  If there are any new BP's out there I encourage you to break apart each sentence and repeat it over and over again.  I'm getting flashbacks of 2 years ago when everybody was falling all over each other trying to grab The Tumbler.   After my 70+ Saturn V's I got, two days before the release date mind you, I'm not touching anymore.  As I've said ad nauseam I was grabbing Imperial Hotels at $86 each while everybody was paying full MSRP for The Tumbler and the IH's have a better ROI. Sure we don't know how many resellers are hoarding this set but seeing that there are now 64 pages to this thread in less than 5 months is telling.  Now I have no doubt that I and many others will be making money on this set, but like I said I'm not buying anymore.  I'm in the process of buying hundreds of 3-4 sets and none have not been talked about on this forum for months and I'm confident they'll allbring a better ROI in a shorter amount of time.  My point here is the point I've tried to make many times on this forum, don't follow the heard.  Breakout a Excel spreadsheet and punch numbers into a calculator to discover the undervalued sets that nobody is talking about.   You will quickly get ahead of everybody else.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

I nominate this post for the post of the year.  If there are any new BP's out there I encourage you to break apart each sentence and repeat it over and over again.  I'm getting flashbacks of 2 years ago when everybody was falling all over each other trying to grab The Tumbler.   After my 70+ Saturn V's I got, two days before the release date mind you, I'm not touching anymore.  As I've said ad nauseam I was grabbing Imperial Hotels at $86 each while everybody was paying full MSRP for The Tumbler and the IH's have a better ROI. Sure we don't know how many resellers are hoarding this set but seeing that there are now 64 pages to this thread in less than 5 months is telling.  Now I have no doubt that I and many others will be making money on this set, but like I said I'm not buying anymore.  I'm in the process of buying hundreds of 3-4 sets and none have not been talked about on this forum for months and I'm confident they'll allbring a better ROI in a shorter amount of time.  My point here is the point I've tried to make many times on this forum, don't follow the heard.  Breakout a Excel spreadsheet and punch numbers into a calculator to discover the undervalued sets that nobody is talking about.   You will quickly get ahead of everybody else.

Wait, buying 70+ is cutting it short? :D I knew I was small time, but I didn't realize how small. :P

All the shops that should stock it here have it available now. The only exception is SAH. Therefore, Lego ARE producing more, but maybe they have changed tack with this set and are experimenting with a new distribution strategy and fulfilling shop orders before end consumers. October is the last chance for many shops to get their Xmas orders in. I guess once they have fulfilled those, the next batch will show up on SAH.

I would not touch it at full RRP at this moment with 130 listings on EU Ebay alone and baseline just 10 euros above RRP.

47 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I would not touch it at full RRP at this moment with 130 listings on EU Ebay alone and baseline just 10 euros above RRP.

Agreed. This set will be available throughout 2018. I'm convinced of that. It's a waste of money to buy this set at RRP now and have your money stuck for more than a year from now.

I do agree that after 21309 officially retires it will be an iconic Lego set that will keep growing in value in the years after. Maybe slowly and gradually, but still. This set will go down in history as one of the very best sets EVER made by Lego!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

I’m a novice at all this stuff, if its exclusive to Lego Stores/SAH and John Lewis in the UK how can I get discounts?

(I dont have access to anyone working for JL to get employee discounts plus we dont have JL in Northern Ireland or a Lego shop for that matter)

I’ve been waiting for the Lotus to come down in price at JL or Lego SAH but never see it below rrp. Therefore I expect the Saturn to be the same.

The only ideas sets I managed to get discounted were Ecto1, Wall-e and Doctor Who when they were on sale/discounted last year.

1 hour ago, Haay said:

It's a waste of money to buy this set at RRP now and have your money stuck for more than a year from now.

Disagree with you on this, I think this is going to be a hard to get set for it's life time and if you want a good number then buy now. This is the archetypical set for Emazers tactics of buy up regularly to get your number.

The only place I can buy it is SAH, so average buy in so far of about €83 with promos, VIP, etc is about as good as I can get.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blockbuster said:

I’m a novice at all this stuff, if its exclusive to Lego Stores/SAH and John Lewis in the UK how can I get discounts?

(I dont have access to anyone working for JL to get employee discounts plus we dont have JL in Northern Ireland or a Lego shop for that matter)

I’ve been waiting for the Lotus to come down in price at JL or Lego SAH but never see it below rrp. Therefore I expect the Saturn to be the same.

The only ideas sets I managed to get discounted were Ecto1, Wall-e and Doctor Who when they were on sale/discounted last year.

Here in The Netherlands we're in a similar boat. There's no Dutch Lego store, and Lego Ideas sets are not sold by any of the big retail toy stores here. So the only way to get Ideas sets is either through LEGO Shop at Home or if they show up on Amazon or other foreign retailers like FNAC.

If you buy through LEGO Shop at Home while there's a nice promo going on, and then sell the promo to use that sale as a discount on the purchase of the Saturn V, you may get a better price than through any other way.

Edited by Haay
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Why would a hot selling set like 21309 ever need to be discounted? If I easily shifted all the stock I wanted to, I'd certainly not offer any discounts. It's simply the best LEGO set I have seen since I came of the dark ages - period!

You have to realise that this set is remarkable value for money and a bargain at £109.99 IMHO. I just need that switch in my brain to flick over and I'll clear out John Lewis!

TTBOMK the only turkey in the IDEAS theme has been the Exo Suit with Adventure Time being a possibility. Doctor Who and Ecto1 have a loyal following and will take time, but will get there.

Edited by TabbyBoy

2 hours ago, Blockbuster said:

It´s all about contacts and knowing where to look.....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Why would a hot selling set like 21309 ever need to be discounted? If I easily shifted all the stock I wanted to, I'd certainly not offer any discounts. It's simply the best LEGO set I have seen since I came of the dark ages - period!

By the same rule of thumb, why would Lego retire it early?

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
9 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

In the UK there are no signs of it being sold anywhere outside of Lego except John Lewis.

Anyone seen any of these in the wild elsewhere?

No, even though I heard that TRU and Smyths will be stocking it - I've not seen it elsewhere yet and hopefully it stays like that.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Val-E said:

By the same rule of thumb, why would Lego retire it early?

Production schedules? Finite production amount as agreed by licence? Who knows?

21104 Mars Rover was a very hot set, often OOS and yet they retired it. However, there's nothing to stop them resurrecting it.

On 10/16/2017 at 7:42 AM, TabbyBoy said:

Hang on, you're charging your friends and family extra (your post implies you shifted at a significant personal gain)? That's pretty low.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V