Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Any idea when is this set retiring?

Based on what we have seen of Ideas sets in the past. Safe bets would say end of next year, popular set and likely easy license to keep. The gambling man would bet on this year, given most Ideas dont last more than 2 calendar years.
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
10 hours ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Thanks, will order one.

It's a superb set and you won't be disappointed if you end up keeping it for years. I've heard (grains of NaCl) that the 21104 Mars Rover (with a new set number) could be making a return early next year which tells me that the Saturn V isn't quite done yet. It's a no brainer at a good discount as I don't think you can possible lose, even if 1,000,000 are made. The more NASA is in the news, the better.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's a superb set and you won't be disappointed if you end up keeping it for years.

If you start to exclude holding time when talking about profits, every set becomes a winner. But if you INclude holding time, the Saturn V could turn out to be just an OK investment. Too much hype, (probably) too many produced, too many buyers - plus: if TLG is in fact beginning to revive NASA sets, too (like you suggested), then I wouldn't recommend buying this at all even if you are OK with holding the set for many years.

What if TLG retire the Ideas rocket end of 2018 - only to bring it back as a Creator set in 2019 for years and years to stay?... Could well be the Saturn V is such an extraordinary cash cow for them that TLG end production on the original set early (=2018) so they can right away: a) re-release it with a +50% price increase and b) don't have to pay the Ideas designer his share any more...

Edited by Frank Brickowski

5 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

There is some talk about First Man getting a fair number of Oscar nominations, and since it features a Saturn V, it should be a nice bump in sales. I doubt LEGO will retire the set anytime soon.  

Off topic but I'm tempted to take my son, age 8.  I'm worried it might be too intense, but we'll see.  

Besides, this generation needs some inspiration for space exploration ... Musk can't do it on his own!

9 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

If you start to exclude holding time when talking about profits, every set becomes a winner. But if you INclude holding time, the Saturn V could turn out to be just an OK investment. Too much hype, (probably) too many produced, too many buyers - plus: if TLG is in fact beginning to revive NASA sets, too (like you suggested), then I wouldn't recommend buying this at all even if you are OK with holding the set for many years.

What if TLG retire the Ideas rocket end of 2018 - only to bring it back as a Creator set in 2019 for years and years to stay?... Could well be the Saturn V is such an extraordinary cash cow for them that TLG end production on the original set early (=2018) so they can right away: a) re-release it with a +50% price increase and b) don't have to pay the Ideas designer his share any more...

) too many produced, too many buyers - you meant sellers, right?

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

September 21, you saw it here first:

Creator_Saturn_Web.jpg.82832946861cbbff5

Great job photo shopping this! Sorry but you made a mistake, 780 points equates to a $119.99 price tag if this was REALLY $179.99  the VIP points would be 1170. What is the point of you trying to trick people? or is this some kind of joke? Also, on the left side of the box there should be a set number right after the title at the top and there is none. Looks like you erased it and didn't add one in because it is too hard. You can make any excuse you want but this is fake and you can't prove that it is real unless you give me a URL which has a domain of lego.com. Even if you did give me URL why would you photoshop an image instead of using the real life one?

Great job photo shopping this! Sorry but you made a mistake, 780 points equates to a $119.99 price tag if this was REALLY $179.99  the VIP points would be 1170. What is the point of you trying to trick people? or is this some kind of joke? Also, on the left side of the box there should be a set number right after the title at the top and there is none. Looks like you erased it and didn't add one in because it is too hard. You can make any excuse you want but this is fake and you can't prove that it is real unless you give me a URL which has a domain of lego.com. Even if you did give me URL why would you photoshop an image instead of using the real life one?
Ban Frank. Heard it hear first.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V