Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

My son got the Saturn V for Christmas.  Had our first piece missing from a Lego set.  (Part 22885 Light Gray 1x2x1 2/3 with studs on 1 side)  Took them 3 weeks to send a replacement.  And oddly it was sent from Denmark to the US.  (Indication of production issues, perhaps?)

And now a handful of the 63868 clips are broken (Red Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Clip Horizontal on End).   Granted - my son is 8, but he knows the drill with Legos.  He admires his Legos and rebuilds them vs playing with them, especially his nice sets (fishing store, saturn V, 70404 castle).

Anyone else having similar issues?  Curious if the clips are just an issue with the build?

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like LEGO is slacking, but I'm not surprised as their quailty control isn't what it was. This is a prime example of rushing production when they should just cease and call it a day on this set. I was expecting about 2-3 returns on mine, but I now think it'll be over 5.

Guest TabbyBoy

I have a feeling that when it comes to sell, nearly all buyers won't be opening the set. Then it's not my problem when missing pieces are found ;-) This could be only the third IDEAS set that will probably remain mostly sealed, like the Mars Rover and the hideous monstrosity Delorean.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I have a feeling that when it comes to sell, nearly all buyers won't be opening the set. Then it's not my problem when missing pieces are found ;-) This could be only the third IDEAS set that will probably remain mostly sealed, like the Mars Rover and the hideous monstrosity Delorean.

You forget the holy grail of LEGO Ideas - Adventure Time. I have never heard a rumor of someone who has built up one... :-) 

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

You forget the holy grail of LEGO Ideas - Adventure Time. I have never heard a rumor of someone who has built up one... :-) 

That could be the darkest horse of the theme so far, so I bought 10x by cherry-picking the ones at 50% off on eBay. It's so utterly hideous and ridiculous that it'll become as rare as unicorn scatology. I think "Fugliness" helped the Delorean reach great heights too I think. If it was a nice looking model, sales would've been massive and it may still be on sale now.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

That could be the darkest horse of the theme so far, so I bought 10x by cherry-picking the ones at 50% off on eBay. It's so utterly hideous and ridiculous that it'll become as rare as unicorn scatology. I think "Fugliness" helped the Delorean reach great heights too I think. If it was a nice looking model, sales would've been massive and it may still be on sale now.

It´s such a dark horse that its shadow was made redundant.

Edited by Val-E
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CLMF said:

What are these better offers? I can only think of double VIP points but the promo set seems like a better deal.

If it´s not 100% a SAH exclusive in Canada, then you´ll get better offers from TRU or other shops when they do general promos.

If you are going to pay full RRP, you might as well wait till next November to at least not have cash tied up.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:50 PM, trstnkn said:

My son got the Saturn V for Christmas.  Had our first piece missing from a Lego set.  (Part 22885 Light Gray 1x2x1 2/3 with studs on 1 side)  Took them 3 weeks to send a replacement.  And oddly it was sent from Denmark to the US.  (Indication of production issues, perhaps?)

For some reason, replacement pieces are always sent from Denmark. 3 weeks sounds about right from my experiences.

And now a handful of the 63868 clips are broken (Red Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Clip Horizontal on End).   Granted - my son is 8, but he knows the drill with Legos.  He admires his Legos and rebuilds them vs playing with them, especially his nice sets (fishing store, saturn V, 70404 castle).

Anyone else having similar issues?  Curious if the clips are just an issue with the build?

Those clips are prone to breaking if you put any sideways stress on them. I haven't built the rocket myself so I can't say if the build encourages snapping them into place from odd angles, but you need to be very gentle when taking them apart to make sure you take them apart from 'head on.' From someone with two boys (7 and 10), he may know the drill but it doesn't mean that he's going to be gentle taking things apart or putting them together. :)

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

If it´s not 100% a SAH exclusive in Canada, then you´ll get better offers from TRU or other shops when they do general promos.

If you are going to pay full RRP, you might as well wait till next November to at least not have cash tied up.

It's not exclusive anymore in Canada (TRU, Walmart, Mastermind, Indigo .. everyone sells it now), but good luck getting the best deal or promo from TRU in Canada. At best you'll get 20% off, but the Ideas theme isn't a popular one for discounts at TRU so I wouldn't wait for that to happen.

I think buying this from S@H with VIP points and a good promo (like the 60 year set) are going to be just as good as any discount you'll receive from Canadian stores.

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

It's not exclusive anymore in Canada (TRU, Walmart, Mastermind, Indigo .. everyone sells it now), but good luck getting the best deal or promo from TRU in Canada. At best you'll get 20% off, but the Ideas theme isn't a popular one for discounts at TRU so I wouldn't wait for that to happen.

I think buying this from LEGO Shop at Home with VIP points and a good promo (like the 60 year set) are going to be just as good as any discount you'll receive from Canadian stores.

Yeah whenever there's some bogo sale at TRU, they always say "excludes items ending in .94", which includes the Saturn V along with Creator Expert and UCS sets.

"And the Gimme LEGO Readers' Choice Award for Best Set of 2017 goes to...."

https://gimmelego.blogspot.nl/2018/01/and-gimme-lego-readers-choice-award-for.html

And rightly so! This is such a brilliant set that will be remembered for the ages as one of the pinnacles of LEGO ingenuity. If there's a new book about "Best LEGO Sets Ever" coming out 10 years from now, this Saturn V set will be featured prominently in it. 

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Haay said:

"And the Gimme LEGO Readers' Choice Award for Best Set of 2017 goes to...."

https://gimmelego.blogspot.nl/2018/01/and-gimme-lego-readers-choice-award-for.html

And rightly so! This is such a brilliant set that will be remembered for the ages as one of the pinnacles of LEGO ingenuity. If there's a new book about "Best LEGO Sets Ever" coming out 10 years from now, this Saturn V set will be featured prominently in it. 

I read that too and it's something I suspected anyway. But, did the voters choose between all sets or a selection of a lot less? Seeing "None of the above" in the list makes me think it was a small selection giving little credibility to the result. However, Saturn V will always be the winner in my book.

What are these better offers? I can only think of double VIP points but the promo set seems like a better deal.

If you are looking for small quantities (1 or 2) Barnes & Noble B&M is my recommendation. With an in-store with membership (S25/year) you get a flat 10% discount. GCs are routinely sold in-store for 15%+ or for 6% through Raise (click through this site). And if you wait for their sales you might be able to get another 10-20% off.

I found mine during a 25% off 1 item promo in December. After tax, GC & membership I was in under $80.

To buy one today, 6.5% GC on Raise plus 10% membership: 119.96-10%-6.5% = $100.94+tax.

20171209_124631.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, FM said:

If you are looking for small quantities (1 or 2) Barnes & Noble B&M is my recommendation. With an in-store with membership (S25/year) you get a flat 10% discount. GCs are routinely sold in-store for 15%+ or for 6% through Raise (click through this site). And if you wait for their sales you might be able to get another 10-20% off.

I found mine during a 25% off 1 item promo in December. After tax, GC & membership I was in under $80.

To buy one today, 6.5% GC on Raise plus 10% membership: 119.96-10%-6.5% = $100.94+tax.

I'm in Canada, we have no sales of this caliber out here.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V