Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

31 minutes ago, gregpj said:

As long as the little guy doesn't think it's a fire hydrant or a tree! :)

He has a brother as well so it was a short lived photo op or I have a feeling a puppy wrestling match would of ensued knocking it over.  

Not sure where I will display it. Has stands too but think I'd need a bigger desk.  Executive style and all...

1 minute ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Does someone recall how many sets of an IDEAS project LEGO produces/sells or how much profit a fan designer gets overall with his 1% of the net revenue of all of his sets being sold?

Japan U Boot - 10000 sets

Mars Rover - 20000 sets

Saturn V - 1000000 sets (estimated)

1% profit for the fan designer.

Edited by mauro23

5 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Does someone recall how many sets of an IDEAS project LEGO produces/sells or how much profit a fan designer gets overall with his 1% of the net revenue of all of his sets being sold?

In the doc about Birds, the designer mentioned having made enough to buy a  car so far. We don´t know if that means a Porsche or a Tata and more units might have been produced after the film was made.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

In the doc about Birds, the designer mentioned having made enough to buy a  car so far. We don´t know if that means a Porsche or a Tata and more units might have been produced after film was made.

I believe he said a family car (probably around the £10k mark) but that was something like the first or 3rd month after it had relased.

Edited by Will 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

In the doc about Birds, the designer mentioned having made enough to buy a  car so far. We don´t know if that means a Porsche or a Tata and more units might have been produced after the film was made.

...or maybe it was even a used Tata. So "car" sounds pretty vague altogether, I'll have a look at the documentary. thx

"He then sold his idea to Lego and has already received about £20,000 in royalties for just three months of sales. An estimated 50,000 boxes containing his robin, hummingbird and jay have been sold around the world since their release in January. The box is priced at £39.99 in Britain."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3123117/Bricks-feather-Lego-lover-Tom-s-home-birds-fly-shelves-landed-wife.html

20,000 GBP are indeed 1% of 50,000 sets sold at 40 GBP. But LEGO says the designer gets 1% of NET PROFITS - so I guess the royalties should be lower. In the end LEGO could just pull off some Hollywood accounting and pay the designer ZERO. Since you as a designer have no other choice but to accept the deal on net profit, there's no alternative of course. But whenever you do have the choice you should opt for percentage of GROSS revenue, just sayin.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Am I reading this correct?...1969 pcs for $120 USD!!!
That's a great deal.
Guess their trying to makeup for some of those overpriced city sets......ie..Service Stations & Fun at the Park.

Can I sell you 1969 cheese-slopes for US$120 ? ;)  Piece count isn't a good indicator when the majority of pieces are rather small. 

• Like 3

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V