10257 - Carousel

siddji

Built this with my daughter during the school half-term break this week (along with the Ferris Wheel).

A beautiful set with some really clever touches. The attention to detail is great: I particularly like the way the frog "jumps" as the carousel turns. Looks fantastic running with the power functions too.

All LEGO need to do now is release a sound brick featuring some suitable fairground music, to go with both sets!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone motorized this yet?

I tried hooking it up to an M-Motor + Train battery box (6xAAA) and its kind of crappy... kills the batteries pretty quick too. I'll probably grab a servo motor from my mindstorms set and try that but thought I'd ask here first. I don't have an L or XL motor to try. The build doesn't really give a lot of room to loosen gears (i.e. too tight or too loose) so I don't think it's binding - using the hand crank is easy enough.

The plan is to create our theme park at one end of our city and motorize it all. I know the mixer and ferris wheel ran OK from just this m-motor+battery box - obviously not sustainable, but it's the easiest to hookup and test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Has anyone motorized this yet?

I tried hooking it up to an M-Motor + Train battery box (6xAAA) and its kind of crappy... kills the batteries pretty quick too. I'll probably grab a servo motor from my mindstorms set and try that but thought I'd ask here first. I don't have an L or XL motor to try. The build doesn't really give a lot of room to loosen gears (i.e. too tight or too loose) so I don't think it's binding - using the hand crank is easy enough.

The plan is to create our theme park at one end of our city and motorize it all. I know the mixer and ferris wheel ran OK from just this m-motor+battery box - obviously not sustainable, but it's the easiest to hookup and test.

Tried the rechargeable battery box? That one lasts longer and allows you to adjust the speed. An XL motor has more torque and runs slower but it seems like overkill.

49 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Tried the rechargeable battery box? That one lasts longer and allows you to adjust the speed. An XL motor has more torque and runs slower but it seems like overkill.

I don't have the rechargeable box .. I do have the rechargeable li-on battery for the ev3 which I will also try.

From the video pstebbing posted, it's clearly the gears are binding or the batteries were bad. (they were new, but several months old) That was an m-motor running it at top speed.

9 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I motorized mine last night. Works great but it's fast. I may pick up the box with the variable speed. 

The variable speed train remote would also work but then you need the IR receiver and more batteries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The variable speed train remote would also work but then you need the IR receiver and more batteries.

I hooked it up that way at first, then I thought perhaps the IR receiver/remote was causing it be slow. Nope ... I guess I should try new batteries, something doesn't seem right.

My thought for hooking up via an IR receiver was that you could organize the rides however you'd like and from one remote, my kids could control all the rides on different dials/channels. Less fingers playing with the buttons the better. But hooking it up via the ev3 module might be even better. It can control 4 motors iirc.

Batteries in the remote last a long time.

10 minutes ago, lego rules said:

You can always just get the rechargeable battery box which has variable speed settings without needing the remote / IR.

Yes, we discussed that too, but many people already have the train IR receiver thus avoiding extra outlay.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

On bags 3 of 5 will definitely be going the motorized route. Any updates @gregpj or should I just order the M motor?  I can pop open a city high speed train set for the battery box, remote and IR but don't think that motor will work. 

This is the motor I connected to it... I think something may be wrong with the motor as it doesn't generate torque worth a damn and squeaks if I push on it. I really have to dig out one of the bigger motors from my EV3 set and try those. It definitely takes a lot of juice to turn it though, even by hand and I'm 99% sure it's put together ok.

image.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

On bags 3 of 5 will definitely be going the motorized route. Any updates @gregpj or should I just order the M motor?  I can pop open a city high speed train set for the battery box, remote and IR but don't think that motor will work. 

If you can find Technic tracked RC 42065 at a deep discount, you get all the stuff you need to motorise the Carousel and can probably part out the excess PF to not make a loss.

12 hours ago, gregpj said:

This is the motor I connected to it... I think something may be wrong with the motor as it doesn't generate torque worth a damn and squeaks if I push on it. I really have to dig out one of the bigger motors from my EV3 set and try those. It definitely takes a lot of juice to turn it though, even by hand and I'm 99% sure it's put together ok.

That is an E-motor and although I don't own one, according to Philo it is does not have much torque.  So there may be nothing wrong with the motor.

Depending on your gearing, a M or L motor should work well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lego rules said:

That is an E-motor and although I don't own one, according to Philo it is does not have much torque.  So there may be nothing wrong with the motor.

Well there you have it ... I just grabbed the first motor that wasn't connected to anything. It worked great for the Mixer but it has far less moving parts so that makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, lego rules said:

M motor is suitable with this one, and Bulky Battery Box 88000 without options of changing the speed of the rotor/carousel or you can  go with 8878 8878?$main$
which is tiny rechargable with DC10 charger (any literally no need to be LEGO) and you can change the speed of spin and rotation.
more expensive but my carousel is flying with this one like a champ butter smooth and I was really happy with the result.

Edited by Shewie
  • Thanks 1

We used the M-Motor & battery box that came with another set we bought (42025 Technic Cargo Plane; the same parts are also in 42052 Technic Heavy Lift Helicopter).

M-Motor: https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-M-Motor-8883

Battery box: https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-Battery-Box-8881

They are pretty cheap by LEGO Power Functions standards, and the one battery box happily powered 2 motors, so we had it running both the Carousel and the Ferris Wheel. Only issue was they seemed to run in opposite directions to each other! (although that's due to the way the sets were designed, not a fault of the battery box & motors).

1 hour ago, binary_storm said:

We used the M-Motor & battery box that came with another set we bought (42025 Technic Cargo Plane; the same parts are also in 42052 Technic Heavy Lift Helicopter).

M-Motor: https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-M-Motor-8883

Battery box: https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Power-Functions-Battery-Box-8881

They are pretty cheap by LEGO Power Functions standards, and the one battery box happily powered 2 motors, so we had it running both the Carousel and the Ferris Wheel. Only issue was they seemed to run in opposite directions to each other! (although that's due to the way the sets were designed, not a fault of the battery box & motors).

Likely the easiest way to fix that is get the Polarity switch.  It is quite cheap.