10257 - Carousel

siddji

9 minutes ago, KShine said:

Since this thread is about a set that is a rumor, that can't be seen/evaluated based on it's attributes, and we are primarily a group of people who invest in LEGO - I am not so sure that these discussions can (or should) be avoided.

I would actually love to see and have a beautifully updated Carousel set.

It's like Cafe Corner vs. Assembly Square. With the advancement  refinement in building techniques, LEGO could really do something special here.

13 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Mods... Would it be worth having a "Letting Off Steam" or "LEGO made me lose my shirt, wife, house, car, kids and dog" thread for some of the cantankerous old farts like me and then have it set so that only those wishing to rant can view and post? Just a thought...

There was a time when all threads were like non-stop dance parties (with the occasional foreseers of doom), today it is the doom (with the occasional optimists).

I think it is helpful to be able to gauge the overall sentiment, so I wouldn't change things.

I would also love for someone to turn the music back on (and I could just go back to complaining about the noise).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Mods... Would it be worth having a "Letting Off Steam" or "LEGO made me lose my shirt, wife, house, car, kids and dog" thread for some of the cantankerous old farts like me and then have it set so that only those wishing to rant can view and post? Just a thought...

You can check into making a private group for this.  I'm sure we don't need a visible thread for general members with pages and pages of gloom and doom.  Get a room!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CM4Sci said:

Any other particular mentions? 

The only other thing I remember was the tentative set number was not in the Fairground theme sequence but in the Disney Castle sequence so I was thinking Tea Cups or Disney World Carousel  

Update From Tragic Banjo: 

June 1st is indeed the release date. No VIP early access as far as I know, and I also don't know when it will be officially announced. I'm assuming it'll be soon, since it's likely to be pictured on the June calendar. 

• Like 1

as an AFOL who spent more than MSRP for the original grand carousel, its going to take a lot to make it an upgrade.  10196 is huge.  i do not regret buying it since this was a set i never had any intention of selling.  some brickpicker can score it in the late 20xx's at an estate sale.

i'm imaging/praying  more of a $99 set upgraded "summer" village carnival complete with grandish carousel that the city park people can mill about it.

if you're still holding onto significant quantity of 10196 you are just filthy rich or you have hoarding issues.

still, all these refreshes/remakes should point out that there is a right time to sell when price appreciation and cagr have peaked , adapt or hang it up.  crying won't change it.

Kenny Rogers is right yet again.  investing in price arbitration and toy futures is a lot like gambling .  except if you lose, at least the child side of your psyche won't be disappointed with all those boxes of colorful bricks.  meanwhile your kid is shooting the next beanie baby viral video about how his college education fund was blown to smithereens by 10188.

Edited by cladner

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Isn't that what the Bubble thread is for?

Exactly.

On topic... Why are people so surprised with a new carousel set?  With the Mixer and Ferris Wheel and this "Fairground/Carnival" subtheme, it was only a matter of time.  Yes, it does suck for resellers and investors, but it was not completely unexpected.  Yes, it does hurt the market, but LEGO won't remake all major sets.   The Chinese might, though..LOL.  

The LEGO secondary is changing and what worked for years, won't work as well or at all now.  We can all sit around and moan and complain about it and talk about the "good ole' days" or we can come up with new strategies and ideas.  Your choice...

• Like 8

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Exactly.

On topic... Why are people so surprised with a new carousel set?  With the Mixer and Ferris Wheel and this "Fairground/Carnival" subtheme, it was only a matter of time.  Yes, it does suck for resellers and investors, but it was not completely unexpected.  Yes, it does hurt the market, but LEGO won't remake all major sets.   The Chinese might, though..LOL.  

The LEGO secondary is changing and what worked for years, won't work as well or at all now.  We can all sit around and moan and complain about it and talk about the "good ole' days" or we can come up with new strategies and ideas.  Your choice...

I welcome the new carousel as I missed out the first time. Yes, it may hurt investors, but LEGO may as well reintroduce a popular set (or variation of) if the demand is there and there's profit to be made. After all... LEGO already have the moulds, manuals and box art, right? I did hear a rumour a couple of years ago about LEGO being able to remake any retired set on demand as long as the buyer accepts a plain box and downloadable instructions. Of course, the cost would be higher, but still a lot less than from resellers. I've heard nothing since and I hope it stays that way.

My strategy has certainly changed and I play my best cards close to my chest. There's a lot more opportunities out there apart from LEGO and other toys which I've taken good advantage of. Speculation in cryptocurrencies being one of them. We've never had it so good, we just have to get in early ;-)

I hope they do remake it. I was a reseller at the time it came out but I thought it was too much money and it didn't sell very well. Same with the Falcon 10179 which did not sell well but I bought several anyway. I would like a remake for personal collection. Even if a remade carousel  doesn't sell well with users, there will be enough resellers buying it to keep it afloat. lol

I did hear a rumour a couple of years ago about LEGO being able to remake any retired set on demand as long as the buyer accepts a plain box and downloadable instructions. Of course, the cost would be higher, but still a lot less than from resellers. I've heard nothing since and I hope it stays that way.

What do you mean? Is that not what our friends in the Far East are exactly doing?

LEGO can't remake any retired set exactly because some pieces are no longer produced due to evolving safety and quality practices.  The "legal connections" rules change over time.  Licensing expires.  And LEGO for a couple recent years has had the molding machines running at full capacity, so even if the original mold hadn't yet been buried in cement, they really didn't have production time available to run old parts.

So all of this means that any "reissue" needs to actually go through redesign, with engineers, QA, then get new instructions to reflect the changes, new box art, etc. etc.  Look at the Winter Toy Shop.   it was very similar to the original, but had some changes.   And it burned the slot for the Winter set that year because it consumed all of those resources in the company to get it released.

So its never going to happen in the current LEGO corporate world.   However, I think that there is a possibility some day that that a Christiansen family member wants to create a spinoff "Legends" company to do just that -- like the family member that tried to bring back Modulex.  Grab a couple old molding machines in Billund, borrow some retired molds, and crank out small batches of discontinued pieces.  It could conceivably happen.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
28 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

What do you mean? Is that not what our friends in the Far East are exactly doing?

I can't recall where I read it, but there was an article about LEGO considering the production of retired sets on demand for an additional fee depending on th level of interest. To save costs, they were going to try using existing elements as much as possible, use plain boxes and electronic manuals. It was quite a while ago and I think would've been live by now if it was feasible. This was the genuine LEGO product but, not in pretty boxes. However, they could probably reproduce the whole thing including box these days with the modern printers and laser cutters available. Even though there's still demand for old sets, LEGO probably think it's not enough.

I'm personally not worried about this as most investors want the mint box and original elements. Chinese knock-offs on the other hand.....

20 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I can't recall where I read it, but there was an article about LEGO considering the production of retired sets on demand for an additional fee depending on th level of interest. To save costs, they were going to try using existing elements as much as possible, use plain boxes and electronic manuals. It was quite a while ago and I think would've been live by now if it was feasible. This was the genuine LEGO product but, not in pretty boxes. However, they could probably reproduce the whole thing including box these days with the modern printers and laser cutters available. Even though there's still demand for old sets, LEGO probably think it's not enough.

I'm personally not worried about this as most investors want the mint box and original elements. Chinese knock-offs on the other hand.....

That's the key point to the entire secondary market.  If LEGO thought they could continue their profitable pace by reissuing every major set, they would have done so.  They realize people want NEW and BETTER.  That is what enables them to remain current.  They not only want a new UCS Falcon, but a better one.  I am in that boat.  So are most LEGO fans.  

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

That's the key point to the entire secondary market.  If LEGO thought they could continue their profitable pace by reissuing every major set, they would have done so.  They realize people want NEW and BETTER.  That is what enables them to remain current.  They not only want a new UCS Falcon, but a better one.  I am in that boat.  So are most LEGO fans.  

I'll still buy new UCS MF if it's a 100% (or better) remake along with the carousel I missed out on. It'll be interesting to watch the prices of the previous versions.

C'mon Brickset... leak that photo ;-)

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

A new "Grand Carousel" would easily cost $300...if not $350-$400.  I'm just wondering if the scale and price of the Mixer and Ferris Wheel would indicate a smaller version.  

I would have to agree... especially if this new release is a Fairground Carousel vs. the previous "Grand" Carousel. :)

A new "Grand Carousel" would easily cost $300...if not $350-$400.  I'm just wondering if the scale and price of the Mixer and Ferris Wheel would indicate a smaller version.  

That's what I pondered back in January. Something a bit smaller, in that price range.

We got a really small carousel in the Winter Village Market a couple years ago. If you keep it in line with the $150-$200 price point of the other fairground sets, then you could do something between the Winter Village one and 10196 that would fit comfortably with the other two sets.

19 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I thought the Saturn V was supposed to come out June 1st? Surely they wouldn't spring two large D2Cs on us in one day.

Saturn V will be hard NOT to find. Don´t worry about that.

A whole bunch of other sets will be released on 1st June too.

Edited by Val-E

13 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

The recent trend has been to higher prices and piece counts even on themes like Minecraft, Ninjago and Nexo.

It would not surprise me at all for it to be in that price range.

11 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The recent trend has been to higher prices and piece counts even on themes like Minecraft, Ninjago and Nexo.

It would not surprise me at all for it to be in that price range.

Yes, LEGO is very good at inflating piece counts.  They love using 2 bricks where 1 would suffice.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

LEGO... How hard can it be to print the weight of contents on the box? More smaller pieces for more £ and $ fools nobody. I know I'm not the only one that judges value by weight not quantity.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

LEGO... How hard can it be to print the weight of contents on the box? More smaller pieces for more £ and $ fools nobody. I know I'm not the only one that judges value by weight not quantity.

They will only print it if legislations requires it.

Sometimes it is better for resellers that they don´t -  I always avoid those US boxes with the part count when an item has  a ridiculous part per cent ratio like SSN or Lonely Mountain.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Weight is the best gauge of value IMO.  

• Like 1