10257 - Carousel

siddji

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

A new "Grand Carousel" would easily cost $300...if not $350-$400.  I'm just wondering if the scale and price of the Mixer and Ferris Wheel would indicate a smaller version.  

Spot on. I don't see this costing more than $250. I am not sure about the demand for a $400 carousel. I expect something entirely different to the GC.

• Like 1

I think it will be another, smaller carousel, not remake, because:

- remake should have price around EUR 300 - too much for a set, which is expendable (no serie as modulars, no strong fan base as SW),

- name "fairground carousel" sounds like something matchable with the fairground mixer, so should be smaller

I hope I am right - otherwise my purchase of the grand carousel for EUR 800 few years ago would be wasted + investment future is dark because of a risk of many remakes...

• Like 1

probably similar price point as the Mixer and a like for like replacement.  Can see this being popular and hopefully we'll get a similar style roller coaster, helter skelter etc.  If this does happen, those who have a few copies of the mixer may be sitting pretty since this wasn't heavily hoarded and there will always be people who missed it and will want a complete collection.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chillreign said:

or am I thinking too big?

I'd aim price point about 100-120USD similar to current line of modulars. Can't ballpark the piece count but I'd aim about 1500 pieces or so.

But I like it, plenty of details and reasonable scale.

Edited by Shewie

Pros:

- not remake of Grand Carousel, what would have a devastating effect to the collectors, who own the previous one (like me) and for investment in lego

- very nice set

Cons:

- dilemma for owners of Grand Carousel -  whether to buy it, since it is similar and smaller, or whether to sell the GC and buy this cheaper version - since keeping both is a luxury.

- downsizing trend, where TLG is making rather smaller version to keep the price available for masses. It is also strong sign that we cannot expect such big millenium falcon as 10179 was.

- downsizing trend, where TLG is making rather smaller version to keep the price available for masses. It is also strong sign that we cannot expect such big millenium falcon as 10179 was.

I don't agree with this. We have 75105. I still expect a similarly sized new UCS MF compared to 10179. Same as the old and new UCS DS.

I would rather say the new carrousel is in the same scale as the other sets from the fairground and winter holiday series.

I am under the assumption that it will have the possibilities to be motorized (like the Fairground Mixer and Ferris Wheel) and will really look forward to the Lego designer reveal video. I like the animal choices too: Flamingo, Swan, Tiger, Elephant. I'm just not sure about the safety of the child on top of the Flamingo, lol! This might not be a massive set but it looks pretty sharp and in line with the other "fair" sets. This will definitely be a purchase for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarthBall said:

I don't agree with this. We have 75105. I still expect a similarly sized new UCS MF compared to 10179. Same as the old and new UCS DS.

I would rather say the new carrousel is in the same scale as the other sets from the fairground and winter holiday series.

I am talking about AFOL items - exclusives, standard sets are not priced EUR 200 and more, where is a problem for TLG to produce big sets for good ratio price / piece number, since they increased this ratio last years. Plus, 75105 is almost the same as 7965.

UCS DS is another story - the set was good selling, they wanted to keep it, but wanted to increase the price due their "inflation" policy and grab more money, but it would look unfriendly to just increase the price - so they made a fake EOL, put some some redundand pieces more, and then they can easily increase the price.

If they produce same UCS falcon with 5200 pieces, it should have either the "old" price EUR 500 or new inflation price EUR 600-650 - both option are unacceptable for TLG. They rather produce a falcon in range 3000-4000 pieces for EUR 350-400, with many play options, put the 75105 to EOL and make the new falcon available for both collectors and children. Maximum what we can see is set with 4500 pieces for EUR 500. No way to expect something bigger for extreme price EUR 600 - this is out of their limits, no one set will go for more than EUR 500, too risky for them.