Jump to content

21030 - United States Capitol Building

Recommended Posts

I didn't see a dedicated thread for this set, so I thought I might strike up a little conversation.

I have not seen much discussion on this gem of a set. I personally love it! It's an amazing display and a fun build. It hit $75 before Christmas at one point, and now it is there again, sitting at $75.20. It's been creeping downwards. How low will it go?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVGV5H2/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by jaisonline
Keywords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

all arch sets go on sale from time to time.  plus it's a niche theme.

At least 5 times online 25% or more including 17 days after release is a little peculiar though.   Sept 17, Oct 21, Nov 4, Dec 11,  and late April not to count the people who got it in store at B&N as well.  That is a bunch of discounts in the first 7 months.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

At least 5 times online 25% or more including 17 days after release is a little peculiar though.   Sept 17, Oct 21, Nov 4, Dec 11,  and late April not to count the people who got it in store at B&N as well.  That is a bunch of discounts in the first 7 months.

 

lego's new strategy 

release more, discount often, live longer

game on, resellers...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any idea why this set isn't being discounted? STARTING TO PISS ME OFF!!!

There are some Targets out there selling them for $50 each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TabbyBoy

The lowest price I've seen on this was £47.99 on Amazon UK soon after release, where the limit was 1. I've not seen it discounted much since. A very long life me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Treetop said:


There are some Targets out there selling them for $50 each.

That's a pretty broad (probably not true) statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

That's a pretty broad (probably not true) statement.

Exactly. That situation seems to be a unique one at a single store that put them on clearance and kept re-stocking them at the 50% off price. I can't remember who the member was that posted about it, but maybe they will chime in. Definately arm-sweep worthy every time they re-stock.

The best I've been able to do on this set is the random Barnes & Noble sale where architecture sets are not excluded and also using CC rewards at Amazon. It seems that just about every Target store is carrying architecture sets now, so these eventually will hit their clearance cycle, but I wouldn't expect them to last beyond the initial 30% to be honest. The other concern is that each store only seems to have 2-3 of these on the shelf, so if you are looking to stock pile these then other creative (and legal) ways to create discounts will be needed.

It's a beautiful set, and based off the performance of The White House and Lincoln Memorial, it should do very, very well. I wonder if Lego has future plans for The Jefferson Memorial and/or Washington Monument to complete the Washington DC architecture sub-theme?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think now would be a good opportunity for people to start scooping this set up.  B&N only has around 315 units left in their warehouse and I recently chatted with a buyer from another big box chain and she said that there is no more replenishment left so one their inventory is gone they are done.  With stacking discounts you can get this set at B&N for around $85 and lower.  I know that amazon has sold them in the past for $70.  I myself have purchased hundreds of this set at that price point but this sets days are numbered.  I was on the road this weekend and I cleaned out most of the Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, & Kentucky's inventory at $85 a set.  If this sets dries up in December it may spike up greatly similar to what the Eiffel Tower did 3-4 years ago.  ET went from 28 to $70 over night the first week of December when it sold out.  B&N should be the first domino to fall once that set sell out there.  Just a matter of time for the other big box stores after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Porvida said:

What do you stack at B&N to get it down to $85?

10% off on gift cards &10 off with membership. That takes it to 81 but when you add tax you're at $85.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I understand you, buy a gift card and they give you 10% off and then purchase with gift card and membership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Porvida said:

So if I understand you, buy a gift card and they give you 10% off and then purchase with gift card and membership?

Not exactly. You can purchase discounted gift cards at cardcash.com & then go to a b&n. As I've said in previous threads $85 is a very good deal for this set. Once this set is officially retired folks on here will pay full price for this set in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Not exactly. You can purchase discounted gift cards at cardcash.com & then go to a b&n. As I've said in previous threads $85 is a very good deal for this set. Once this set is officially retired folks on here will pay full price for this set in January.

Got it. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I’ve been flagged for using discounted gift cards. Manager came over and OK’d it. Apparently there have been internal emails alerting the stores to be diligent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superlegolover said:

well, I would be careful buying bn gc off cardcash.com or raise.com.

some ppl reported that the gc purchased over there were stolen ones and got his bn account banned.

This is true. I myself have had issues in the past, even being investigated by their loss prevention department, but have never been suspended online from b&n. I approach b&n in a kamakazi way which is different from how I approach every other store. Since there's a limit of 5 online, which is completely stupid, it really wouldn't matter to me if they banned me online when I can buy 100 units online at Target & Walmart. I really haven't had any problems with using the gift cards in stores. In fact I have so much venom for past experiences with b&n I'd probably welcome any flagging/confrontation they would want to have with me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

I think now would be a good opportunity for people to start scooping this set up.  B&N only has around 315 units left in their warehouse and I recently chatted with a buyer from another big box chain and she said that there is no more replenishment left so one their inventory is gone they are done.  With stacking discounts you can get this set at B&N for around $85 and lower.  I know that amazon has sold them in the past for $70.  I myself have purchased hundreds of this set at that price point but this sets days are numbered.  I was on the road this weekend and I cleaned out most of the Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, & Kentucky's inventory at $85 a set.  If this sets dries up in December it may spike up greatly similar to what the Eiffel Tower did 3-4 years ago.  ET went from 28 to $70 over night the first week of December when it sold out.  B&N should be the first domino to fall once that set sell out there.  Just a matter of time for the other big box stores after that.

Not sure if B&N has changed how store employees can see inventory but back in the day’s of the Tumbler there were two warehouses one in NJ and one in Nevada that had separate inventories for sets destined to store Vs online. So when a store employee looks up the available inventory based on your location the 315 would be sets left in the NJ warehouse destined for stores. When I tried to convince other suckers like myself to buy up all of the Tumblers I did not know there were thousands left for online fulfillment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is true. I myself have had issues in the past, even being investigated by their loss prevention department, but have never been suspended online from b&n. I approach b&n in a kamakazi way which is different from how I approach every other store. Since there's a limit of 5 online, which is completely stupid, it really wouldn't matter to me if they banned me online when I can buy 100 units online at Target & Walmart. I really haven't had any problems with using the gift cards in stores. In fact I have so much venom for past experiences with b&n I'd probably welcome any flagging/confrontation they would want to have with me.


Sounds like a situation to avoid.. noted.


Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure if B&N has changed how store employees can see inventory but back in the day’s of the Tumbler there were two warehouses one in NJ and one in Nevada that had separate inventories for sets destined to store Vs online. So when a store employee looks up the available inventory based on your location the 315 would be sets left in the NJ warehouse destined for stores. When I tried to convince other suckers like myself to buy up all of the Tumblers I did not know there were thousands left for online fulfillment. 

Don’t forget UN ;)
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...