What is a good starting City set to build a city diorama?

lilplasticbrick

This is a good post. I am in the same situation. I think you have to determine what space you have and lay it out. I'm planning on a down town, with a "forest" area to incorporate the outdoor themes like the cabin. I also want to build a sewer with a subway and have the TMNT under my city. I am far away though. I started my downtown with the fire brigade because it is going to retire soon.

I'm trying to figure my layout as well. I'll have modulars for sure but will also have the creator houses and some city themed sets prob. like the fire and police sets, etc. as well as a train or two. And a section of monster fighters, kingdoms castles, lord of the rings, batman, and Star Wars, etc. There's too many good themes to choose from...lol

Start with a Police building. You will have chaos in your city without the cops.

Fortunately in Lego World, there are 9 cops and firefighters for every citizen in the general population, however, there are also 5 crooks for every upstanding citizen. Lego is a strange and cruel world.

Anyway, I would also look to find some mass transit sets and pick up some "great" vehicles so that you have some jobs for your citizens. Good Luck.

Depends on what you enjoy most. If you were looking for the most detailed sets, I would personally start with the Fire Brigade. Should be close to retirement, and if you watch Amazon, it will probably go back down to 120 again. I can verify it is a fantastic set. I even was lucky enough to find a damaged box deal for $90 and I opened it to add a floor to the one I have had built since it's launch. Looks fantastic and because of the addition it gives the Town Hall a run for it's money when it comes to height.

buy up the corner modular buildings. You need lots of corners, unless you are going to have just one long street. Emporium is close to retirement. pick one or two of those up for sure. This is what we have so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzYLMoCi1Q we have started on our moc roads, brick by brick. it is going to take a lot of bricks but looks cooler than plates. Our plan is to build a hill with train tunnels under it for Hogwarts to sit on top of.