70618 - Destiny's Bounty

HandyHand

11 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

The 70618 looks fantastic (better than that disgusting half-arsed Silent Mary monstrosity) and is bigger than you think. At £109.99 RRP (not £119.99) RRP in the UK which is great value, I just could't resist today's 2xVIP and promo set. I can't wait to build it and I may even get another once the first one "ships".

Even though this set is available everywhere, there's no reason why it can't do well, especially if big discounts are common. AFOLs may initially dismiss it as it's NINJAGO, but then realise that it's a good representation of a Chinese Junk. I remember seeing the Black Pearl everywhere, but I wasn't playing the game back then - oh, the benefit of hindsight!

I am really looking forward to building my own 70618. Ever since I saw the first photos of this beautifully done Chinese Junk in LEGO I knew I wanted it for my own collection! I usually save a big set like this for building during the Christmas Holidays, but now I have just bought a 10225 R2-D2 which I also want to build, so I have to choose which set to build during Christmas, and which one to build in November. :P 

Regarding the availability everywhere ... I remember back in 2015 I saw the Star Wars sets 75054 (AT-AT) and 75055 (ISD) just everywhere in all toy stores selling LEGO, and at decent discounts as well. And I wondered the same thing: how could such an ubiquitous set that everybody and their grandmother could get at a discount ever do well after retirement ? But both sets did do really well, while they're not even that brilliant.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Ninjago does not have the fanbase that SW OT has. Don´t expect miracles with this, or any NM set -  just expect deep discounts and buy one for personal enjoyment.

I don't care about Ninjago. Not seen the show, not going to see the movie unless it is foisted upon me. 

I still want this set. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Ninjago does not have the fanbase that SW OT has. Don´t expect miracles with this, or any NM set -  just expect deep discounts and buy one for personal enjoyment.

Nearly all the kids I know that are too young to appreciate Star Wars fully are very big into Ninjago. They’ll love this ship even more when they get older and it’s EOL. Deep discounts, bring it on. I remember the Black Pearl at 50% off. If LEGO give this a short life due to current production issues (eg. 21309 & 75192 selling out), there’s happy days ahead. It’s also a hell of a ship for the money, I can’t say that about any Star Wars set.

I now have this set and I may want a lot more! ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nearly all the kids I know that are too young to appreciate Star Wars fully are very big into Ninjago. They’ll love this ship even more when they get older and it’s EOL. Deep discounts, bring it on. I remember the Black Pearl at 50% off. If LEGO give this a short life due to current production issues (eg. 21309 & 75192 selling out), there’s happy days ahead. It’s also a hell of a ship for the money, I can’t say that about any Star Wars set.

I now have this set and I may want a lot more! ;-)

I was also amazed by the amount of detail and overall look of this set! Got two at 50% off (compared to Dutch prices) from amazon.co.uk and wished I could have ordered more. I think Tabby is pretty dead on about the interest of young children in Ninjago. If you manage to hold this set for a really long time it will likely be in the same price range as the late 80s, early 90s pirate ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legojona said:

I was also amazed by the amount of detail and overall look of this set! Got two at 50% off (compared to Dutch prices) from amazon.co.uk and wished I could have ordered more. I think Tabby is pretty dead on about the interest of young children in Ninjago. If you manage to hold this set for a really long time it will likely be in the same price range as the late 80s, early 90s pirate ships.

You´ll still need a good buy-in, same as with the SW sets from last year. AT AT, ISD, X Wing and Falcon are blue chip sets. The rest, meh.

19 hours ago, Val-E said:

You´ll still need a good buy-in, same as with the SW sets from last year. AT AT, ISD, X Wing and Falcon are blue chip sets. The rest, meh.

A good buy-in with a set that already has a low price/brick price will surely help this being a winning investment. I'll keep ordering it when it is below 100 euro (-40%)

20 minutes ago, Legojona said:

A good buy-in with a set that already has a low price/brick price will surely help this being a winning investment. I'll keep ordering it when it is below 100 euro (-40%)

I really don´t want to knock this set more than I have already done but it seems like a trap to us Lego taxed countries due to the low UK price and favourabel exchange rate. Everyone will be in on it when Amazon discounts it heavily and I am not sure about future demand. The previous DB is not doing well, despite a reasonably short life as everyone was thinking it would be like DB 1.0

At 40% off Uk price, you´d be looking at around 80 euros shipped if you buy multiples.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I really don´t want to knock this set more than I have already done but it seems like a trap to us due to the low UK price. Everyone will be in on it when Amazon discounts it heavily and I am not sure about future demand. The previous DB is not doing well, despite a reasonably short life as everyone was thinking it would be like DB 1.0

Come on ... why would anyone in their right minds pay premium over RRP for Last Flight of DB (70738) when they can get this gorgeous highly detailed DB that utterly destroys 70738 in every way for even less money? 

A poor remake of a set will not harm the older, better, version. Compare the Star Wars MTT: everybody agrees 7662 from 2007 wipes the floor with 75058 from 2014, so 7662 is still going strong in valuation. But in this case 70738 can't hold a candle to 70618. And it's highly unlikely that Lego will ever release a new Destiny's Bounty that is better than 70618. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Haay said:

Come on ... why would anyone in their right minds pay premium over RRP for Last Flight of DB (70738) when they can get this gorgeous highly detailed DB that utterly destroys 70738 in every way for even less money? 

A poor remake of a set will not harm the older, better, version. Compare the Star Wars MTT: everybody agrees 7662 from 2007 wipes the floor with 75058 from 2014, so 7662 is still going strong in valuation. But in this case 70738 can't hold a candle to 70618. And it's highly unlikely that Lego will ever release a new Destiny's Bounty that is better than 70618. 

9446´s values have not collapsed due to either of the remakes - mainly due to rarity.

70738 was just everywhere and overhoarded as people expected the same results but were not expecting another remake so soon.

70618 is brilliant value for money for us and is the best of the three so 70738 seems caught betweeen a rock and a hard place. However, the investment potential for 70618 is probably not going to be as high as 9446 due to all the above.

• Like 1

Super low buy in price on the 70738's.  

I have 6 of them, at an average of £45 each.  Picked up Nov last year from TRU.  With all of the new and movie ninjago sets, i'm surprised it's doing as well as it is.

I agree with Haay, i don't think think 70738 is a good comparison set for 70618.  70738 isn't really a ship, it's more of a playset and it'll be the ship collectors that pick up 70618.  The only real question is how long will it be in production.  If the, "if it sells it stays", mantra is in operation, i could be a long while before a return.  

2 minutes ago, feed said:

Super low buy in price on the 70738's.  

I have 6 of them, at an average of £45 each.  Picked up Nov last year from TRU.  With all of the new and movie ninjago sets, i'm surprised it's doing as well as it is.

I agree with Haay, i don't think think 70738 is a good comparison set for 70618.  70738 isn't really a ship, it's more of a playset and it'll be the ship collectors that pick up 70618.  The only real question is how long will it be in production.  If the, "if it sells it stays", mantra is in operation, i could be a long while before a return.  

I reckon all the Ninjago Movie sets will be done by December 2018.

I agree that the metric for future values for this set will be the usual mix of availability + deep discount + production runs / demand.

There probably won´t be anothe Bounty along for a while after this one.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

The previous DB is not doing well, despite a reasonably short life as everyone was thinking it would be like DB 1.0

You can't compare it to the previous DBs, this is a different class to them. I'm sure many AFOL's have this on their Christmas list because it's such a beautiful looking set, doesn't matter what theme it's from.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I'm sure many AFOL's have this on their Christmas list because it's such a beautiful looking set, doesn't matter what theme it's from.

Many said the same about the Temple of Airjitzu.....

To be honest, parter-outers are going to be the happiest with this sets as the PPC ratio is better than an XXXL box.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

it's a ship dammit

I was reading this thread and before I got to your post that is exactly what I thought. Then I got to @Val-E post and almost thought the exact same thing except since I am still sitting on all of mine it was "so IS the Sea Cow".  I just checked the price on the SC for only the second time this year and it continues to sink. I got mine for 42% off from target but still don't want  to let them go and they take up a lot of space. Another set I loaded up on is the Brick Bounty because well it is a ship. I got those fr M TRU for 38% off or better.  It did great out the gate but has stalled with no growth in 2017. 

70618 is a great set for many reasons PPP, build, play, display and blows away that joke of a set 70738 but it would be hard to invest in these unless there is a big short lived discount IMO. 

Guest TabbyBoy

The DB is an accurate looking junk while the SC is an awkward looking monstrosity which ain’t really a ship. Also DB has bann discounted where SC never was.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

The DB is an accurate looking junk while the SC is an awkward looking monstrosity which ain’t really a ship. Also DB has bann discounted where SC never was.

SC (NOT Sopwith Camel ;-) ) is horrible like all the other Lego Movie sets...

Ninjago/Ninjago Movie is also not my favourite theme but there are already 3 beautiful must have sets for AFOLS there:

ToA, DB and NC...

It is really, really to bad, that ToA has the Ninjago label on it, otherwise it would be the winner of this year... (beside 21309)

Edited by mauro23
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

My DB just arrived from LEGO with the VIP set, a mini Batmobile polybag and... a sodding parrot polybag! They must've been reading my comments!

However, there's a nasty ding in the top of the box as the set is so big that there's not enough room for the airbags to do their job when manhandled by YODEL. However, I'm building it anyway and thought that I'd mention it as ordering 2 would provide a better chance of a factory box.

Those that live near a non-London LEGO store don't realise how lucky they are as I'd consider speculating again if I lived near one. London is NOT near me as it involves the horrific tube and crowds of impatient people, not to mention the queue to get into the store and the chaos once inside.

53 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

My DB just arrived from LEGO with the VIP set, a mini Batmobile polybag and... a sodding parrot polybag! They must've been reading my comments!

However, there's a nasty ding in the top of the box as the set is so big that there's not enough room for the airbags to do their job when manhandled by YODEL. However, I'm building it anyway and thought that I'd mention it as ordering 2 would provide a better chance of a factory box.

Those that live near a non-London LEGO store don't realise how lucky they are as I'd consider speculating again if I lived near one. London is NOT near me as it involves the horrific tube and crowds of impatient people, not to mention the queue to get into the store and the chaos once inside.

That parrot had sure better appreciate for the deal to be better than when Amazon/Smyths reduced the set!

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, Val-E said:

That parrot had sure better appreciate for the deal to be better than when Amazon/Smyths reduced the set!

It could be a very limited polybag of 100 and LEGO sent me them all. I’m open to PMs if anybody wants the rarest polybag to date for £100 posted ;-)

I’ll keep an eye out for bigger discounts on the DB as I want to keep one boxed and need 3 for Xmas presents.

Even though the Ninjago theme is as non-AFOL as it gets, I think the DB has good mojo. Of course, it has to be £55 or less!

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I reckon 60GBP is a definite next year. Smyths were all over themselves to mark it down 1 month after release.

I think it might hit that around Black Friday. Hits upon the issues with TLG's current pricing strategy. This set, to me, is worth £109.99. However, I know that it will be substantially discounted, so I won't pay the RRP for it. Even when it went to £75, I didn't buy, as it will go even lower.