70618 - Destiny's Bounty

HandyHand

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Reminds me of the shuttle Tydirium . Great looking set and was always available at discount during its life and now over a year after retirement it’s struggling to get over RRP.

Not me. One is a true masterpiece and the other is, boring, over-priced, space junk ;-) 

The brick bounty a £80 / 745 part ship, is now selling at £100-£125.    A set that was readily available at 50% discount.  I know because I bought at mine at sub £50. 

So sure no reason to expect a set with 7 figs, 2256 parts at nearly 3kgs of Lego and bricklink part value of nearly $320, is going to sell at above £110 in the aftermarket, no reason at all.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, feed said:

So sure no reason to expect a set with 7 figs, 2256 parts at nearly 3kgs of Lego and bricklink part value of nearly $320, is going to sell at above £110 in the aftermarket, no reason at all.  

There are more than enough  QFLL´s happy to make 5 GBP profit with a 1 GBP FVF to help make 70618´s performance fall in line with 70738 - a 1200 part set easily found at 60% off with an 18 month life and still selling for well below RRP one year after EOL.

Playing the long game could work but there is going to be way more stock of this than Bounty V1.0 and there will be another version around sooner or later.

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

There are more than enough  QFLL´s happy to make 5 GBP profit with a 1 GBP FVF to help make 70618´s performance fall in line with 70738 - a 1200 part set easily found at 60% off with an 18 month life and still selling for well below RRP one year after EOL.

Playing the long game could work but there is going to be way more stock of this than Bounty V1.0 and there will be another version around sooner or later.

Are you really saying you expect after market demand for 70618 to be the same as the demand for 70738.  Guess you’ll be staying away then.    
But I’ll be putting my money where my mouth is and going all in, later - i do agree it's too early.  If only because the thing is so damn big.  

1 hour ago, Ciaraf76 said:

How do you get notifications?

In The Netherlands we have a site called Brickwatch. You can create an account there in order to add specific sets to your watch-list, and when there's a discount on any of those sets you automatically get an email notification. They also send emails for sets not in your watch-list which got a significant discount, just in case you might also be interested. ;) 

The site is in Dutch, English, German, French and aimed at those markets, depending on your chosen language and location. Example for Destiny's Bounty: https://www.brickwatch.net/en-GB/set/70618/Destiny-s-Bounty.html

• Like 1

I expect supply and demand for 70738 and 70618 to be more or less the same and the UK price point, release dates and production life are close enough to make a valid comparison. The main differences are part count, box size and shipping costs. We can hope that 70618 generates more AFOL interest but I have discounted extra hoarding against that already.

9446 is from the golden ages before reseller scum became what it is now.

I hve 2 DB´s so far. One was an AWD for 85 euros that I built and the other MISB 97 euros. I´ll get more closer to EOL and closer to 70 euros or I´ll stay away as Ninjago is a real ballache to sell here.

Edited by Val-E

10 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I expect supply and demand for 70738 and 70618 to be more or less the same and the UK price point, release dates and production life are close enough to make a valid comparison. The main differences are part count, box size and shipping costs. We can hope that 70618 generates more AFOL interest but I have discounted extra hoarding against that already.

9446 is from the golden ages before reseller scum became what it is now.

I hve 2 DB´s so far. One was an AWD for 85 euros that I built and the other MISB 97 euros. I´ll get more closer to EOL and closer to 70 euros or I´ll stay away as Ninjago is a real ballache to sell here.

I think the main difference is that the new DB has desirability beyond Ninjago fan's.

It's the only Ninjago set I've ever built, as it's just a really nice display set, FFODB was much more targeted at fans of the series and wasn't great as a standalone display piece.

9 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

It's the only Ninjago set I've ever built.

I´m in the same boat!

However, I am a pragmatic investor and I am aware that lots of others expect this type of AFOL demand and have been stocking up. As it´s no exclusive, buy-in will be a determining factor and prices won´t shoot up. In fact, have they for any recent play set that has been widely available and discounted for more than a year?

Edited by Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy

Being a LEGO Ninjago movie set, it won't be around for as long as you think. If the total fugly turd that was the Sea Cow did OK(ish) as soon as it retired, the DB can only do better. It's a hell of a lot of plastic for the money and a beautiful model compared to the other heavyweight rubbish that's out there right now. The DB is an absolute masterpiece and any fan of Oriental boats will love it. I'm going all-in every time I see it for >25% off and I'll see all you party-poopers on the other side!

This set, Ninjago City, and Temple of Airjitzu should not really be considered with the rest of the Ninjago sets. Totally different appeal to them. I'm not interested in the TV show, or the movie, but these sets are excellent, so I bought them.

Me too. I've bought them all as well and can't wait to build and display them. I'm looking forward to adding the Ninjago City Docks too.

• Like 1

UK buyers might like to make a comparison between this and Saturn V. Similar part counts, boxes and RRP´s and likely to have similar lives.

Would 3 Bounties at 40% off do better than 2 Saturns at full RRP with VIP points? And would the Porsche 911 trump both?

There are going to be a lot of interesting choices to make this year for those that can´t invest heavily in all of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

UK buyers might like to make a comparison between this and Saturn V. Similar part counts, boxes and RRP´s and likely to have similar lives.

Would 3 Bounties at 40% off do better than 2 Saturns at full RRP with VIP points? And would the Porsche 911 trump both?

There are going to be a lot of interesting choices to make this year for those that can´t invest heavily in all of them.

I like the Porsche (given its probably starting a kind of a new "luxury" sport cars line with a newly announced Chiron).. Just not sure if cca 168 GBP for purchase on Amazon Co uk is the lowest price possible.

Edited by crayxlp

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Being a LEGO Ninjago movie set, it won't be around for as long as you think. If the total fugly turd that was the Sea Cow did OK(ish) as soon as it retired, the DB can only do better. It's a hell of a lot of plastic for the money and a beautiful model compared to the other heavyweight rubbish that's out there right now. The DB is an absolute masterpiece and any fan of Oriental boats will love it. I'm going all-in every time I see it for >25% off and I'll see all you party-poopers on the other side!

wish you were right with that short life.. but the same could easily apply to Batman movie sets - and look at those.. even the very first one with number 70900 is still readily available in stores.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

A nice problem to have I think :)

4 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I like the Porsche (given its probably starting a kind of a new "luxury" sport cars line with a newly announced Chiron).. Just not sure if cca 168 GBP for purchase on Amazon Co uk is the lowest price possible.

125gbp would be the Uk record, 114 euros in France IIRC

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

If I had £1 for every time it was available at about £170, I wouldn't need to bother investing in it!

1 minute ago, Captain_chaos said:

If I had £1 for every time it was available at about £170, I wouldn't need to bother investing in it!

well yeah.. but you dont face unpredictable exchange rate .. I might be purchasing in in GBP but at the end I would pay in CZK and given diferent views how UK economy would go on after brexit the GBP/CZK/EUR pair could either shoot up .. or go under.  so that plays quite a role in my decisions.