Ideas #022: 21311 - Voltron

Alpinemaps

It’s an ideas set. Fishing store is pretty large. No fan base, except old men who like run down shacks or fishing instead of working (I’m looking in your direction Lord of Lego)

This at least has a fan base, In more than one country (looking at you Dr Who?)

And come on, it is 5 Lego cats that combine in to one large mech with a giant sword. How many 9 yr olds out there can resist that?

At least there are new episodes for kids to get hooked on (looking at you Adventure Time).

So for Ideas sets. This is what the voters want, this is what they get. It has a better chance of being relevant in the next 5 years than any recent independent Idea (looking at you Birds and Maze)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, donbee said:

So for Ideas sets. This is what the voters want, this is what they get. It has a better chance of being relevant in the next 5 years than any recent independent Idea (looking at you Birds and Maze)

I have a flock that refuses to leave, that set is worse than the Canada geese in my backyard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donbee said:

It’s an ideas set. Fishing store is pretty large. No fan base, except old men who like run down shacks or fishing instead of working (I’m looking in your direction Lord of Lego)

This at least has a fan base, In more than one country (looking at you Dr Who?)

And come on, it is 5 Lego cats that combine in to one large mech with a giant sword. How many 9 yr olds out there can resist that?

At least there are new episodes for kids to get hooked on (looking at you Adventure Time).

The sword kicks butt in my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Exo Suit had the small set hoarding blues.  I don't think there's any need to jump on this thing, but I'll have at least 2.

I seem to recall Exo-suit having two big production runs when Ideas sets typically only got one.  Many speculated on the first run and got crushed by the second.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quacs said:

I seem to recall Exo-suit having two big production runs when Ideas sets typically only got one.  Many speculated on the first run and got crushed by the second.

I do recall being alarmed by the hoard jumping on the first run.  I have 6

1 hour ago, Migration said:

I have a flock that refuses to leave, that set is worse than the Canada geese in my backyard.

Had a chuckle after reading your post and then your username. :)    I too have a flock that won't leave.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fantomas007 said:
to make the biggest Ideas set ever from such stupid, old and not worlwide popular theme is a madness from the TLG.

Obviously TLG disagrees. But let’s face it. Voltron was, at the time, the fastest to 10k votes ever. It got there in like 20 days at the time.

Also, it’s not just LEGO’s call. They had to approach two separate licensees and get their approval. If anyone knows the Voltron product it would be them. And I’m guessing they are pretty confident that LEGO Voltron will meet their sales expectations.

6 hours ago, oneknightr said:
Whoa, easy there exciter! Better than the original? That's a tall order to fill. Maybe I'll watch it with my son for the first time together instead of searching for the originals.

I LOVE the original. But come on - it’s the same story every episode, just dressed differently. The new one is fresh and original. Characters have a real backstory, there’s drama and conflict, and it’s serialized storytelling.

Give it a try, because it’s pretty good.

Mod Edit:  Ducking autocorrect...

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I LOVE the original. But come on - it’s the same story every episode, just dressed differently. The new one is fresh and original. Characters have a real backstory, there’s drama and conflict, and it’s serialized storytelling.

Give it a try, because it’s pretty good.

Originals were made for us when we were kids and yes, they were definitely the same structured story every episode. I guess the new one is made for us now that we're adults (big kids as well) and we need more substance in what we watch. I'll definitely give it a try.

• Like 2

Reseller scum will remind you that both Birds and Maze were easy 1.5-2 x RRP flips. Good luck ever getting those returns with Voltron.

I said “relevance in 5 years”
Not that anyone here would hold that long, but if they did...
And those prices seem like Amazon exclusives. Us BrickLinkers aren’t seeing that.

1 minute ago, donbee said:

I said “relevance in 5 years”
Not that anyone here would hold that long, but if they did...
And those prices seem like Amazon exclusives. Us BrickLinkers aren’t seeing that.

They were quick flips on EOL on Ebay, in Europe at least. Much better immediate gains than playing the might do/might not long game.

The price point also makes it hard to achieve the same gains and we will be looking at double the production life too.

Yeah. My fear is that they’ll be around forever. But lego has been fairly disciplined with the ideas sets the last couple years. We’ll see how long Saturn v sticks around. If they don’t do a second wave of that beauty, they should keep this short too.

Guest TabbyBoy
15 hours ago, donbee said:

Yeah. My fear is that they’ll be around forever. But lego has been fairly disciplined with the ideas sets the last couple years. We’ll see how long Saturn v sticks around. If they don’t do a second wave of that beauty, they should keep this short too.

Saturn V could be around for many years as it flies off the shelves at RRP where few other sets do. Voltron has limited appeal and more market specific so the US may hang onto it for longest.

IDEAS is now risky as Ecto-1 and Doctor Who still fail to reach RRP after fees. For me, Voltron is a -50% buy, not a penny more.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, jaylay said:

I can’t believe Voltron didn’t take off in the 70s-80s in Europe while it blew up in the USA, Asia and of course its birthplace in Japan. 

I don't remember Voltron at all, but I do remember Star Fleet (aka X-Bomber). Man I loved that when I was a kid.

https://youtu.be/W6hJr6h7jOk?t=50s

After that came Power Rangers, which was bloody awful, although I guess I was too old for it by then.

Was Voltron before or after Power Rangers?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, binary_storm said:
I don't remember Voltron at all, but I do remember Star Fleet (aka X-Bomber). Man I loved that when I was a kid.

After that came Power Rangers, which was bloody awful, although I guess I was too old for it by then.

Before PR. Voltron was 1980s.

17 hours ago, binary_storm said:

https://youtu.be/W6hJr6h7jOk?t=50s

I've never heard of Star Fleet (X-Bomber), but I have to admit that I watched the entire video you linked in your post. It was pretty amazing! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I've never heard of Star Fleet (X-Bomber), but I have to admit that I watched the entire video you linked in your post. It was pretty amazing! 

That's the first I've seen of it since the early 80s. I've no idea if it has aged well or not but like I said I really enjoyed it when I was a kid! Very much reminded me of the Gerry Anderson shows like Thunderbirds and Stingray, if you've ever seen those.

Thunderbirds Lego, now there's a thought...

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

We had The Space Giants.

https://youtu.be/8iCJdiJObks

You have my pity! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, binary_storm said:

The TV & film buff in me remembers a bit of this when getting into the like of Gerry Anderson's world between Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and The Secret Service to name a couple. Far out.

13 hours ago, exciter1 said:

We had The Space Giants.

There's Goldar again aka Ambassador Magma.