Hello - I'm New Here

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community.  I buy and sell collectibles and recently got involved in the world of LEGO.

I was made an offer I just couldn't refuse...roughly 500 complete sets that used to be owned by a young cancer survivor who was ready to sell them and move on.

He and his father sold the entire lot to me for what I feel was a good price.  Each set was only assembled one time by the youngster and was then put away for safe keeping, unfortunately that did not mean putting them back in bags and back in their original boxes.  I have dozens of huge storage bins in my garage loaded pounds and pounds of raw pieces, a few more storage bins with numerous manuals, and loads of empty boxes.

That said, I'm positive this was a great investment.  I just need to figure out how to best sort through all that I have and then the best way to offer it up for resale.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I know I'm new to the Lego community, but I've been an avid collectibles buyer for years, I know how VERY important it is to take care of everything and that's exactly what I'm doing with these Legos.  I don't even want to touch them until I know the best way to approach things.

Once I get started on this huge project, I will be posting much of the collection up for sale, but I must admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by the mountain in my garage at the moment.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time read this and I hope you have a great Lego day!

Welcome TAK!  First, I would try to sort sets based upon mini figures.  That is one of the best ways to figure out what you might or might not have.  When I buy bulk (unsorted), I pull the mini figures and start researching to see what sets they belong to and then what other minis belong to the same set.  If you have all the minis (or majority) of a specific set, indications are pretty good you have that set in the mixed parts.  I would try to find the most valuable sets to sort them first and starting selling.  I do not wait until I have them all sorted and such before selling.  If you have the manuals, they are a big help with mini figure and piece identification (BrinkLink https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page will be your best friend otherwise).

I normally sort all the mini figures and accessories, then stickers/printed parts and then followed by sorting all the rest into corresponding color piles.  After that I typically wash all of those piles (excluding printed/sticker pieces) and let the fun begin!

3 hours ago, Halfrig said:

Welcome TAK!  First, I would try to sort sets based upon mini figures.  That is one of the best ways to figure out what you might or might not have.  When I buy bulk (unsorted), I pull the mini figures and start researching to see what sets they belong to and then what other minis belong to the same set.  If you have all the minis (or majority) of a specific set, indications are pretty good you have that set in the mixed parts.  I would try to find the most valuable sets to sort them first and starting selling.  I do not wait until I have them all sorted and such before selling.  If you have the manuals, they are a big help with mini figure and piece identification (BrinkLink https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page will be your best friend otherwise).

I normally sort all the mini figures and accessories, then stickers/printed parts and then followed by sorting all the rest into corresponding color piles.  After that I typically wash all of those piles (excluding printed/sticker pieces) and let the fun begin!

Thank you.  That's good to know.  I've just started sifting through the collection.  It still seems overwhelming to me, but I'll figure out to how to get my arms around them.  :)