Craigslist SCAM?!

Legolassy

A local craigslist page frequently pops up with "mint condition" older/discontinued/highly desirable legos for descent prices. I have emailed a few times and they always say to text a certain phone number. So I texted once, and they said they were 500 miles away (Montouk NY and the listing was on Boston Craigslist) and unless I got there before noon, they were selling them to someone else and had "accidentally posted" on the wrong craigslist page. Second time (shame on me-I didnt realize it was the same number til I texted and it linked to the previous message) and they said they were located in Columbus, Ohio. What is going on here? Clearly the legos aren't for sale...or they at least dont want to sell them to me...but I dont see the end game or purpose in posting stuff that clearly isnt for sale or isnt available?!  It looks legit....Am I missing something?  I called and the voicemail belongs to an Asian woman.

This is the link for the current ad they have up:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tag/d/16-lego-sets-droid-technic/6264126537.html

Edited by Legolassy
add information.

10 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

A local craigslist page frequently pops up with "mint condition" older/discontinued/highly desirable legos for descent prices. I have emailed a few times and they always say to text a certain phone number. So I texted once, and they said they were 500 miles away (Montouk NY and the listing was on Boston Craigslist) and unless I got there before noon, they were selling them to someone else and had "accidentally posted" on the wrong craigslist page. Second time (shame on me-I didnt realize it was the same number til I texted and it linked to the previous message) and they said they were located in Columbus, Ohio. What is going on here? Clearly the legos aren't for sale...or they at least dont want to sell them to me...but I dont see the end game or purpose in posting stuff that clearly isnt for sale or isnt available?!  It looks legit....Am I missing something?  I called and the voicemail belongs to an Asian woman.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tag/d/16-lego-sets-droid-technic/6264126537.html

This is similar to other scams we've seen.  I'll probably merge this thread.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Legolassy said:

Yep it is definitely a scam. I've seen similar in the Boston area before. Their original ad they put up was for 4 Creator modulars that were unopened. I emailed, received an email back with a different number, and when I clicked on the link to the original ad in the email the page was changed to the 16 older sets for sale in your link. 

They are most likely looking for numbers, etc. I've been told to call in their email then used *67 to block my number, and they have never answered. 

Also, I've tried marking it as a scam before but hitting prohibited on the ad or in the email link never flags it for removal. 

Edited by Sharkbait

• 1 month later...