Biggest let down of 2016 retirees - Early Knee Jerk Reaction

The biggest disappointments for me are the 3 big TRU exclusives that are still on some shelves and pop back online every now and again...Deep Sea Ops Base, City of Stiix, and Technic Racing Truck.  My buy-ins are very low due to stacking the sale price with Bricktober promo/TRUTH/$25 GC promo, but they are all still performing terribly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redcell said:

The game is hardly over. You just have to learn what to pick and what to avoid. My general rule of thumb lately has been to avoid any set that is openly discussed here unless I can get it at a serious discount.

Is NASA rocket 21309 an exception to this rule  because of its scarcity and appeal? Page 51 and counting...

Edited by Villager Chris

I notice that no Canadians have replied to this thread yet...

The game IS over up here...  we don't get (or super rarely get) discounts below 20% off so we just can't compete with US sellers and the number of resellers on Craigslist is astonishing!  Almost impossible to sell on ebay due to fees, HUGE shipping costs, and the aforementioned US competition.

I know that I'm not buying anything anymore except for personal building and collecting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moppy said:

I notice that no Canadians have replied to this thread yet...

The game IS over up here...  we don't get (or super rarely get) discounts below 20% off so we just can't compete with US sellers and the number of resellers on Craigslist is astonishing!  Almost impossible to sell on ebay due to fees, HUGE shipping costs, and the aforementioned US competition.

I know that I'm not buying anything anymore except for personal building and collecting.

I have not purchased a LEGO set for "investment" since ... I can't remember it's been that long. I have a few purchases at steep discounts, but even those landed in the "we can just build them if we want" pile. I have purchased for personal use though.

I don't have an easy way to get stuff from the US or ship to the US (i.e. I'm not close enough to a border) so I'm sitting on my old stock and getting ready to offload over the next 12 months. I also don't do the used LEGO (no time to sort and build) and don't part out (where I think the money is if you're established on Bricklink).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

i thought the MM and MMansion would have been out performing the light house

and Raptor Rampage is worst performing JW set? it has main character, a motorcycle and two raptors

76 sellers on Mystery Machine...26 sellers on lighthouse. When the theme first came out everyone agreed that the lighthouse was crap, so hardly anyone stocked up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Migration said:

76 sellers on Mystery Machine...26 sellers on lighthouse. When the theme first came out everyone agreed that the lighthouse was crap, so hardly anyone stocked up.

I'd say it differently: Everyone agreed that the MMachine was the most recognizable, and the MMansion had the rare characters. So everyone jumped on those. Again, the set that nobody talks about is the one to invest in. I had 4, originally bought for part-out purposes, sold them a while ago. Found one more last week at KMart, already up on FBA :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'd say it differently: Everyone agreed that the MMachine was the most recognizable, and the MMansion had the rare characters. So everyone jumped on those. Again, the set that nobody talks about is the one to invest in. I had 4, originally bought for part-out purposes, sold them a while ago. Found one more last week at KMart, already up on FBA :)

Murphy´s laws of Lego investing:

The number of pages per set thread on Brickpicker prior to retirement is normally inversely proportional to the number of sets hoarded by Brickpickers. If there is no actual thread created for the set, then it is an almost set on winner.

The number of pages per set thread on Brickpicker prior to launch is normally inversely proportional to the appreciation of the set post retirement.

Edited by Val-E

18 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The number of pages per set thread on Brickpicker prior to retirement is normally inversely proportional to the number of sets hoarded by Brickpickers. If there is no actual thread created for the set, then it is an almost set on winner.

The number of pages per set thread on Brickpicker prior to launch is normally inversely proportional to the appreciation of the set post retirement.

Somebody forgot to apply this rule to Superheroes! 

On 30/08/2017 at 10:15 PM, Migration said:

Not the impression I got at the time. Jangbricks gave the Lighthouse a good review and many agreed with his assessment. 

On 8/30/2017 at 11:36 PM, Val-E said:

The Stiix tread was pretty quiet......

• 1 month later...