Is 2017 the best ever year for large Lego sets?

Is 2017 the best ever year for large Lego sets?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is 2017 the best ever year for large Lego sets?

• Yes
    • No (please post a comment why)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2017 at 05:06 PM

So 2017 has given us  new and improved SW UCS Milf and Snowspeeder, a massive Ninjago Cty, a rocket, the biggest ever modular and Minecraft sets, a London Bus, Fishing Store and that POTC ship that seemed to be love or hate, amongst other sets. We even got a big Nexi castle. It´s been a weak year for Technic and Architecture fans, though.

Is this the strongest year so far for 1000 part and above sets or can you remember a better one NOT FROM AN INVESTMENT STANDPONT but rather as a fan of Lego? If you can, please say which and why stood out for you.

Edited by Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy

No, more like one of the worst to be honest. There's been too many remakes and little originality with the only exceptions being 21309 and 75192.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

No, more like one of the worst to be honest. There's been too many remakes and little originality with the only exceptions being 21309 and 75192.

I don´t get you, 75192 is a remake.

Regarding plus 1k piece sets, the only remakes I have on my list are the ISD, AT AT, Snowspeeder and MF - all Star Wars. Have I missed any obvious ones?

I have only been back into the present Lego era since end of 2015 so my knowledge might be limited...but from a pure Lego fan point of view this has been an amazing year so far:

Saturn 21309: An amazing set with a fantastic display value. De build has been said to be fantastic. And last but not least, great history!

Fishing Store 21310: Great looking IDEAS set

Carousel 10257: I am a huge fan of the Creator Expert Fairground sets, the carousel is awesome

London Bus 10258: Not my fave but definitely a solid set.

Snowspeeder 75144: A must have for my collection, love this set.

Silent Mary....love it or hate it.....i love it!

Destiny Bounty 70618: Aarghhh...another beautiful set...absolutely love it.

Ninjago City 70620: I need this one for sure..I love the busy Asian cities and this is a masterpiece

And the Falcon....no words needed, thank you Lego...you hammered it!

Edited by Brenner
silent mary
  • Like 3

I can't give it to 2017, two UCS remakes disqualifies it. I like 2010 quite a bit. Imperial Shuttle, Imperial Flagship, Tower Bridge, Motorized Excavator, Grand Emporium, Hogwarts, At-At Walker, and Shuttle Adventure were all cool sets and great investments (except for immortal Tower Bridge)

2008 had Taj and GG but I think 2010 is deeper. 

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I can't give it to 2017, two UCS remakes disqualifies it. I like 2010 quite a bit. Imperial Shuttle, Imperial Flagship, Tower Bridge, Motorized Excavator, Grand Emporium, Hogwarts, At-At Walker, and Shuttle Adventure were all cool sets and great investments (except for immortal Tower Bridge)

2008 had Taj and GG but I think 2010 is deeper. 

Well, 2010 was certainly special but the more we go through time, the more potential for remakes there are.

• 3 weeks later...

The Star wars Millennium Falcon is one of the largest set according to me. It has 6 mini figures that make it more appealing for star wars lovers.

Few Interesting Sets:

LEGO Star Wars Carbon-Freezing Chamber
LEGO Minecraft The Cave 21113
LEGO Creator Lakeside Lodge
LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon
LEGO City Volcano Exploration Base 60124
LEGO Creator 31053 Building Toy
LEGO Star Wars Eclipse Fighter 75145
LEGO Star Wars AT-ST Walker 75153
LEGO Creator Corner Deli 31050 Building Toy

List Source: Kidsnewhub

Some Other Sets I love: 

Assault on Hoth

LEGO Old Fishing Store

Assembly Square

Detective’s Office

Absolutely, a truly amazing year! So many sets that appeal to my personal taste.

However, there's a danger with it as well: Flooding the market and making people feel it's suddenly unrealistic for them to acquire all sets they want. Personally, I'm almost there mentally.

These are the sets that have had the most appeal to me this year: Assembly Square, Apollo, Old FIshing Store, London Bus, Carousel, Winter VIllage Station, Ocean Explorer, BB-8, Jedi w/ Hyperdrive, Guggenheim + some smaller ones like Arc de Triomphe, London, Chicago, Sydney, CMFs, Arctic Roller, Pizza Van.

I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and really have to prioritize, meaning I will go into 2018 with a lag of sets from 2017 etc etc.

EDIT: And had I been a fan of the bigger Technic and Ninjago sets that were also released, it'd been even more overwhelming. I don't think this development is good for LEGO.

Edited by bagalux

On 8/31/2017 at 2:11 PM, Val-E said:

So 2017 has given us  new and improved SW UCS Milf and Snowspeeder, a massive Ninjago Cty, a rocket, the biggest ever modular and Minecraft sets, a London Bus, Fishing Store and that POTC ship that seemed to be love or hate, amongst other sets. We even got a big Nexi castle. It´s been a weak year for Technic and Architecture fans, though.

Is this the strongest year so far for 1000 part and above sets or can you remember a better one NOT FROM AN INVESTMENT STANDPONT but rather as a fan of Lego? If you can, please say which and why stood out for you.

You’re forgetting TLG’s first ever modular ship, Destiny’s Bounty. 

• Like 2