75188 - Resistance Bomber

HandyHand

No topic yet for this set, which might mean the interest in this set is low. But I still like it enough and think it deserves its own topic. :) 

75188_alt1.thumb.jpg.555a2db2f3fd386ecc6965adb85d392c.jpg

75188_alt3.thumb.jpg.026a6b7bb613950721196cd4c38a2daf.jpg

Official LEGO Product animation video, which may be showing a scene where the Resistance Bomber will be used in the movie:

And the review by JANGBRICKS:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brickbuilder.g said:

I think it's the best looking set..However, it's way overpriced. $110 is ridiculous. $80....maybe $90 max.

I concur with this assessment. I also think it's also a bit more of an original design and pretty well-designed with the play features.  Now if it were $20-30 cheaper, then I'd say it'd be a reasonable retail price.  Otherwise...I'll wait six more months.

I think this set will create an unprecedented level of frustration for parents who are constantly reconstructing this top heavy thing bound to fall on its side after their child haphazardly tries to balance during play.

And I get the nice play features/not all pieces are created equal thing, but I would love to understand how they came to conclusion this kit should be priced nearly double that of the recently released, very popular, and not much smaller Y-Wing.

Edited by carini26

This set immediately caught my eye when the first pictures were leaked. After I saw Jang's review video I'm even more positive about this set. But ... as Jang mentions as well, this set is overpriced. So I'm going to wait this out till I can get it at a good discount. 40% off should be attainable by waiting for the right promo/discount to come along. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm standing in the store yesterday staring at this set. I just can't figure out why it is over $100. Ok, so it has a printed cockpit and some of those bigger wing plates but you've got the Star Destroyer and Walker that are nowhere near as out of whack as this set. Put this set at $90 and it sells, $110 is just ridiculous. I'm going to wait until the inevitable price drops.

18 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I'm standing in the store yesterday staring at this set. I just can't figure out why it is over $100. Ok, so it has a printed cockpit and some of those bigger wing plates but you've got the Star Destroyer and Walker that are nowhere near as out of whack as this set. Put this set at $90 and it sells, $110 is just ridiculous. I'm going to wait until the inevitable price drops.

Clone Turbo Tank, Vader's Tie vs A-Wing, Captain Rex's At-Te, it's hardly something new for Lego to ridiculously over estimate the pricing of these Star Wars (and other theme) sets.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Cos when it drops to 70% off people will think it is great value.

Maybe not, though because it is so ugly it makes OT B wing look like "insert name of attractive model".

Edited by Val-E

3 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I'd have thought it's been 30% for at least a year. How many €100 sets do you think are worth more than €70. Bar BB8, I can't think of many.

It´s not just the sticker price, though. A lot of these sets are blink-and-you´ll-miss them in the movies and just don´t register with the fans. Your BB8´, AT AT and ISD will always be popular but these things come ten-a-dime and people just could not care less - completists apart.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s not just the sticker price, though. A lot of these sets are blink-and-you´ll-miss them in the movies and just don´t register with the fans. Your BB8´, AT AT and ISD will always be popular but these things come ten-a-dime and people just could not care less - completists apart.

My wife was looking at the quad jumper and asked if it was actually in the movie. After I explained it she was like "oh" made me realise, explanation probably hurt it more than just acting like it had a semi important role that I was too lazy to explain

9 minutes ago, Floriano said:

In general, I think all TLJ sets are overpriced, don't you?

Considering Disney is currently battling Altice cable systems for the renegotiation of their broadcast and cable networks as well as pulling all their content when their Netflix deal expires in favor of their owned and operated streaming service...yes, they are looking to squeeze as much juice as possible on all their properties so I bet the licensing fees are through the roof for this round of merchandising.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:16 PM, Floriano said:

In general, I think all TLJ sets are overpriced, don't you?

This markup over the last 2 years doesn't make much sense, and I think as we saw last year Lego's profit margins dropped quite a bit.  I suspect it will be even worse this year. 

Before the new Star Wars films came out, some of us were saying that there would be a burn out phase starting around the 3rd film release, and sure enough we are beginning to see it.  Even at that, i'm only buying two sets from this lineup.  I'll eventually pick this up for my son, and i'll get Kylo's Silencer, but I really want to wait for the movie to see how important these are in the films. 

I have noticed few of these last jedi sets are flying off the shelves, and I think many of us are waiting for the prices to drop 30% or more before we even begin to bite..  If I were to rank this launch i'd say Resistance Bomber > Kylo's Silencer > BB8 > Gorilla AT-AT > Finalizer > Weird Spider Walker Mathingy > Half Pod

Hopefully the winter wave of Last Jedi sets have something more interesting.  A Luke Skywalker mini would be nice...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

This markup over the last 2 years doesn't make much sense, and I think as we saw last year Lego's profit margins dropped quite a bit.  I suspect it will be even worse this year. 

Before the new Star Wars films came out, some of us were saying that there would be a burn out phase starting around the 3rd film release, and sure enough we are beginning to see it.  Even at that, i'm only buying two sets from this lineup.  I'll eventually pick this up for my son, and i'll get Kylo's Silencer, but I really want to wait for the movie to see how important these are in the films. 

I have noticed few of these last jedi sets are flying off the shelves, and I think many of us are waiting for the prices to drop 30% or more before we even begin to bite..  If I were to rank this launch i'd say Resistance Bomber > Kylo's Silencer > BB8 > Gorilla AT-AT > Finalizer > Weird Spider Walker Mathingy > Half Pod

Hopefully the winter wave of Last Jedi sets have something more interesting.  A Luke Skywalker mini would be nice...

True, Lego is getting more and more expensive everywhere lately. I also agree with you on the two top choices for this TLJ wave; Putting the UCS BB-8 aside, Resistence Bomber and Kylo's tie are the one most worthy of my coins.

Edited by Floriano
mistake

• 2 months later...
On 05/09/2017 at 9:10 PM, Haay said:

This set immediately caught my eye when the first pictures were leaked. After I saw Jang's review video I'm even more positive about this set. But ... as Jang mentions as well, this set is overpriced. So I'm going to wait this out till I can get it at a good discount. 40% off should be attainable by waiting for the right promo/discount to come along. 

Putting my money where my mouth is :P. Saw this set available at a sale for 42% off (Dutch RRP), so I ordered one for my own personal build. :)  

4 minutes ago, Haay said:

Putting my money where my mouth is :P. Saw this set available at a sale for 42% off (Dutch RRP), so I ordered one for my own personal build. :)  

So deep so soon suggests it is a poor seller. If you keep it sealed you should be able to return it and rebuy much lower after Xmas.

I´d also wait and see if it actually gets more than 10 seconds of air time before being blown up in the movie.