Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

7 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

My Son (age 7) wanted a Nintendo Switch for his birthday.....and all he asked for from the extended family were Toys R Us giftcards to buy it with.  He got 250.00 worth of them.  I don't expect them to be getting any more Nintendo Switchs in (does anyone think they will?)....so I guess I'm just going to buy them from him and give him the money to go buy the Switch from a reputable merchant.

They said they'll have the SNES Classic, so they'll probably keep getting stock of Switch as well.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/19/16335420/snes-classic-toys-r-us-nintendo

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

My Son (age 7) wanted a Nintendo Switch for his birthday.....and all he asked for from the extended family were Toys R Us giftcards to buy it with.  He got 250.00 worth of them.  I don't expect them to be getting any more Nintendo Switchs in (does anyone think they will?)....so I guess I'm just going to buy them from him and give him the money to go buy the Switch from a reputable merchant.

The thing that sucks is that when I went to the local TRU today to start using the GCs.....they had a sign up that said their "giftcard, merchant card and debit cards systems were down.....but they were working on the problem". I'm burning a toy store down if I can't use these things.  

The System has been down since Saturday on you can't use GC and Coupons, and you could not but Gift cards Either, This was a Nationwide problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Problem or intentional?

This was a problem, Toys R Us lost a million dollars or more because they can't even sell gift cards with the system down, why would they do this on purpose and loose money on selling gift cards, not counting the people with gift cards always have to spend more money.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, emazers said:

This was a problem, Toys R Us lost a million dollars or more because they can't even sell gift cards with the system down, why would they do this on purpose and loose money on selling gift cards, not counting the people with gift cards always have to spend more money.

exactly.  unlike lego and ticketmaster who (i honestly think don't mind their website POS problems ), TRU needs every last drop.    They just hire incompetent IT staff.  TRU hasn't had a quality website since they stopped using amazon.com.

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Interesting that LEGO isn't mentioned at all with other toy maker debtors. I wonder if they were the only ones actually getting a check. Habro and Mattel both appear to be taking big hits in this deal. At the end of the day, one has to wonder if these toy makers will continue to supply Toysrus with product or try and hold orders to try and force their owed money. Once that supply chain ceases to run smoothly, death will approach quickly. 

On 9/18/2017 at 11:31 PM, Average Guy said:

I have nearly 2k in TRU gift cards. I' m sweating bullets right now.

I cashed in my chips today. I only had 1k instead of the 2k I thought. I hate paying retail price but at least now I have no worries and I won't regret it either. If the ship is listing to the side I don't go back to my cabin, I get off. If a plane hits the building I don't go back inside to my office, I take a sick day. 

• Sad 1

I'm sure Playmobil, Lego, Fisher Price, etc. are all of the same mindset.

I never had Playmobil as a kid, but I'm tempted to buy all of the Ghostbusters sets and put them away for when the kids are older. They are on sale and I can't find any "hard to find" lego sets in stores to burn my gift cards on. 967d412649b1af0361edef52828967f1.jpg8fc734ea172f0086bd176f0991ad5df0.jpg876bec938199bf6c3ff1d227dacee4a6.jpg
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Average Guy said:

I cashed in my chips today. I only had 1k instead of the 2k I thought. I hate paying retail price but at least now I have no worries and I won't regret it either. If the ship is listing to the side I don't go back to my cabin, I get off. If a plane hits the building I don't go back inside to my office, I take a sick day. 

Awful analogy. Just awful.

• Haha 3

Via our Friends over at The Brick Fan:

As we know by now, Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy but what will happen with the company and all the LEGO exclusives we could get from them? As an employee of Toys R Us/Babies R Us, what I’ve been told by my manager is that we’ll still be running normally like we’ve been running. No stores will be closing in the short term but may close poor performing stores after the holiday season. As for reports that a lot of vendors have refused to ship products, those are only for the smaller companies. I believe the larger companies like Mattel, Hasbro, and even LEGO are still getting products to the stores. There won’t be any “going out of business” sales because this isn’t a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and TRU is not going out of business at this time.

So what happens with all the LEGO products at Toys R Us? There shouldn’t be any change with the selection. For those here in the US who are waiting for the Bricktober 2017 sets, you should still be able to find them in a few weeks. There will still be various sales going on and TRU does price match Amazon and other retailers.

The Toys R Us bankruptcy comes just weeks after LEGO reported lower profits and layoffs themselves. It looks like that the whole toy industry isn’t doing well as a whole as more kids are gravitating to electronics and video games. We’ll see what happens after the holiday season but this is scary news especially since I’m an TRU/BRU employee but I feel that things will work out slowly, hopefully.

The post Toys R Us Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy appeared first on The Brick Fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Via our Friends over at The Brick Fan:

As we know by now, Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy but what will happen with the company and all the LEGO exclusives we could get from them? As an employee of Toys R Us/Babies R Us, what I’ve been told by my manager is that we’ll still be running normally like we’ve been running. No stores will be closing in the short term but may close poor performing stores after the holiday season. As for reports that a lot of vendors have refused to ship products, those are only for the smaller companies. I believe the larger companies like Mattel, Hasbro, and even LEGO are still getting products to the stores. There won’t be any “going out of business” sales because this isn’t a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and TRU is not going out of business at this time.

So what happens with all the LEGO products at Toys R Us? There shouldn’t be any change with the selection. For those here in the US who are waiting for the Bricktober 2017 sets, you should still be able to find them in a few weeks. There will still be various sales going on and TRU does price match Amazon and other retailers.

The Toys R Us bankruptcy comes just weeks after LEGO reported lower profits and layoffs themselves. It looks like that the whole toy industry isn’t doing well as a whole as more kids are gravitating to electronics and video games. We’ll see what happens after the holiday season but this is scary news especially since I’m an TRU/BRU employee but I feel that things will work out slowly, hopefully.

The post Toys R Us Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy appeared first on The Brick Fan.

1413477041_.png

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

It looks like that the whole toy industry isn’t doing well as a whole as more kids are gravitating to electronics and video games.

lol, yeah no. This excerpt is like cnbc or marketwatch grasping at straws for a dumb reason why the market moved the way it did on a certain day. 

Edited by minicoopers11

1 minute ago, minicoopers11 said:

lol, yeah no. This excerpt is like cnbc or marketwatch grasping at straws for a dumb reason why the market moved the way it did on a certain day. 

Agreed. One of the contributing reasons, that I heard on NPR on the way home last night, was that 30% of all toy sales are done online. This is hurting the B&M stores toy sales.

NPR didn't mention TRU's pricing practices, but did say that they need to accommodate shoppers better during the non holiday season (other 9 months) by allowing the demo of toys etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

by allowing the demo of toys etc.

I thought this specifically was something TRU supposedly was to have implemented in the past decade...anecdotally the only thing I've seen is the removal of the Thomas wooden train tables or the lack of any wooden engines to play with (guess I can blame humanity for that one, lol). I still love how the TRU brand (imaginarium, I think) train table is displayed, but covered in a hard plastic case.

7 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

I thought this specifically was something TRU supposedly was to have implemented in the past decade...anecdotally the only thing I've seen is the removal of the Thomas wooden train tables or the lack of any wooden engines to play with (guess I can blame humanity for that one, lol). I still love how the TRU brand (imaginarium, I think) train table is displayed, but covered in a hard plastic case.

yeah that is cool. Last time I was there this just happened to be charged. (their elec ride ons typ dont have a charge).

razor-mx350-24-volt-dirt-rocket--AE6F121

It was a blast to zoom up and down the aisles

• Haha 1

"The Toys R US System to Use Gift Cards and Coupons is all Fixed and ready to use Thursday, Since you can't use the coupons on Lego, I have been buying The Voltron Toys R US Exclusive Collector case $100.00, The Power Ranger Ninja Steel 20" Lion Fire Fortress $100.00 and the Power Ranger Limited Black Edition Legacy Titanus Carrier Zord. $149.00 But with 20% Coupons and being Thursday and plenty gift cards, I have been getting these pretty cheap, now won't be selling this year, but these usually rise in price in a year or so.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:26 PM, flynnibus said:

In the states they are usually stand-alone locations or strip mall locations in my experience.  The property itself is probably why part of the buyout last time was a real estate firm... but now the outlook for retail footprint is so bad... I guess it really depends on what kind of properties they are and what kind of re-development potentials they have.  But you have to imagine at such scale, the number of duds would outweigh the diamonds in the rough.

Saw this yesterday and it has a bit about how TRU first tried to leverage their vast real estate holdings but were rebuffed. Funny how so many businesses' main assets isn't what they're in business for. 

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/us-business/how-5-billion-of-debt-caught-up-with-toys-r-us/article36319912/