Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

Our store had Lego 10% off with a bonus 10% today. We picked up a few small Duplo sets and a Lego batman set for the kiddos. I left behind a UCS Snowspeeder. Also grabbed some Playmobil Ghostbusters sets. The best deal we found was the Radio Flyer landspeeder for $150 (originally $500). I kind of want to build a fleet of them!

• Like 2

Has anyone stopped in TRU today?  I saw they sent another email with some percentage off changes.
Nothing left worthwhile in my TRUs since they went to 10% off... Definitely no Diners or other valuable sets as reported by others.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally stopped by my local Toys R Us yesterday to see the amazing deals... and most of the shelves were still packed. I quickly found out why as nearly all of the premium brands were severely marked up in price. My favorites were the $19.99 Super Hero Mighty Micros, and the 50+ 75155 U Wings marked at $109.99.

I decided to ask a manager what was up with the prices. I showed them the U-Wing on the Lego SAH site and let them know the MSRP was $79.99. The manager started yelling "THE PRICE ON THE SHELF IS THE PRICE LEGO SOLD IT TO US AT!!!!! WE ARE TAKING A LOSS AT 30% OFF SO BE GRATEFUL!!!". I did a little facepalm and headed towards the door.

Now this is a store I have never had an issue at. I guess emotions are high strung trying to maximize profit while tricking the fools into believing they are getting a deal. It was clear why so many people were walking out of there without buying anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

So I finally stopped by my local Toys R Us yesterday to see the amazing deals... and most of the shelves were still packed. I quickly found out why as nearly all of the premium brands were severely marked up in price. My favorites were the $19.99 Super Hero Mighty Micros, and the 50+ 75155 U Wings marked at $109.99.

I decided to ask a manager what was up with the prices. I showed them the U-Wing on the Lego SAH site and let them know the MSRP was $79.99. The manager started yelling "THE PRICE ON THE SHELF IS THE PRICE LEGO SOLD IT TO US AT!!!!! WE ARE TAKING A LOSS AT 30% OFF SO BE GRATEFUL!!!". I did a little facepalm and headed towards the door.

Now this is a store I have never had an issue at. I guess emotions are high strung trying to maximize profit while tricking the fools into believing they are getting a deal. It was clear why so many people were walking out of there without buying anything.

I feel bad for the employees, but that's straight up lying to people. Not cool.

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

I feel bad for the employees, but that's straight up lying to people. Not cool.

Which is why I don't feel bad from the manager level up.  This attitude permeates the entire organization and is a major reason to their downfall.  I went in yesterday since Lego was at 30% (didn't buy any) and employees caring left the station long ago.  

I just came back from 2 TRU in North NJ. 

One will close its doors for good at the end of day May 28.  Not a single Lego set left.

Another doesn't have an end date.  Lego @ 30% off.  Only Lego sets left are Star Wars buildable figures, several Ninjago Movie sets, several mindcraft sets, several Angry Birds sets, and 2 Technic Bucket Excavators.

Picked up 4 minty carousels at 30% off almost left then went to check the dimensions and they were sitting inside the glass video game cases. Ymmv but it’s a worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
At my TRU that closed last month they had Mindstorms 31313 in the same place, as well as Anki Overdrive. Mindstorms was discounted from waaay over MSRP, but it did hit $175 towards the end. Contemplated buying all 3 sets but mistimed my visit and arrived the day they had closed :(. Did get the Overdrive sets at 60% off (as reported here earlier).

The only set left at my store worth considering is 70618 Destiny's Bounty at $112 (30% off). I've only got one so far so I might go back later to scoop them up. There is no telling when they will be discounted further, and at 50% they will go quick. I was never able to find any at WM for 50% during their winter clearance. Other than that it's just scraps and my store is about half full of empty racking and shelving. It's kind of depressing.