Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

38 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I don't know if some bulk buyers came in at some point, but basically nothing was moving at 30% off for a couple weeks, I hadn't been in in a week and a half or so, but I pop in yesterday and just scraps remain. Hell, there were even like 10 Angry Birds castles a couple weeks ago, only one of those left as well as LEGO Batman Movie stuff, NEXO Stuff, and a couple random odds and ends. (Polybags, a few Elves sets, Quake Mechs, Star Wars Buildables, U-Wings). Dimensions at 70% off, get your Laval Fun packs for $1.50 ;) Jay and Fantastic Beasts fun packs $4.50. Still not biting. Fantastic Beasts story pack at like $14 is somewhat tempting. All the Speed Champions stuff was gone, and this is stuff that wasn't moving at 30% for a couple weeks. 

I did grab a couple scraps, and snagged 4 Buck Palaces at like $35, which isn't great since they can be had for $40 online right now. Also a Salvage MEC and few other small sets. But I doubt big sets will get much lower than 40%. 

Less than 3 weeks left to go, you wonder if they become more aggressive with markdowns at this point, maybe weekly?

I'm wondering if they shipped some stuff back or sold it elsewhere, because this seems to be the case almost everywhere.

I had seen a lot of posts from people showing how empty their TRU stores were, and the two that are near me have had quite a bit of LEGO inventory through most of the 30% off sale. I went at one point two weeks ago and the entire section was full. I went two days ago (before 40% hit), and nearly everything was gone. LEGO is down to 1 aisle, they have maybe 3-4 Star Wars sets. Same thing at the other TRU here. Same thing as the one by my parents house (different state).

Sure, it's possible someone came into these and bought them all up (though strange, I'm not sure who would buy the First Order Scout Walker at that price), but this all happened while it was still at 30%.

Edited by thegraverobber
  • Like 1

The NERF Rival stuff, which wasn't flying off the shelves at 40% off, is all gone now at 50% off also. I was waiting for that stuff to drop to grab for personal use. Other NERF Guns still in store though. The Tri-Strike which is a funnish/bit bulky gun that shoots all 3 types of NERF Darts was already discounted, and is a good buy at like $18 now.

5 minutes ago, Achilles said:

The NERF Rival stuff, which wasn't flying off the shelves at 40% off, is all gone now at 50% off also. I was waiting for that stuff to drop to grab for personal use. Other NERF Guns still in store though. The Tri-Strike which is a funnish/bit bulky gun that shoots all 3 types of NERF Darts was already discounted, and is a good buy at like $18 now.

My son about hit the floor when he walked back to the Nerf aisle and it was all gone.  I think they shipped a bunch of stuff off to someone.

I did get a couple Snowspeeders, a Ninjago Ultimate Ultimate Temple, Misfortune's Keep, and a Technic Yacht.

Wow, none of the TRU around me have ANY UCS sets.  Can't believe the deals y'all are finding.  I was thrilled to pick up a Saturn V and Speed Champions Ferrari Garage @ 30% off.  There were ten more Saturn Vs on the shelves when I bought mine.  I decided I needed to scrape together the money for another.  Went back three days later and all ten sets were gone.  Not only those, but EVERY large LEGO set (Ninjago, SW, etc.)  I almost jumped onto here and asked which brickpicker found my stash?  lol

Went again yesterday and  below is what I found.  Three days earlier those same shelves had sets on every shelf and the shelves to the left and other side.  Once it hit 40%, they flew.  That is now the only self with sets left in the entire store. 

I picked up two Creative Toolbox (Boost) sets @ 40% off.  One was on the shelf and I found the other one in a TRU cart full of merchandise employees were restocking shelves with.  Apparently, someone thought about buying it but left it at the register.   Admittedly, the only reason I picked these up was 1) because of its integration with the roller coaster and 2) I doubt it'll reach 40% off again after LEGO releases the future wave of LEGO sets using the boost for lighting and sounds.  In other words, Boost wasn't selling so LEGO had to create a need for it with traditional sets.  Adding the boost to all the amusement park sets could create quite the display.

TRU 40 off.jpg

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

Wow, none of the TRU around me have ANY UCS sets.  Can't believe the deals y'all are finding.  I was thrilled to pick up a Saturn V and Speed Champions Ferrari Garage @ 30% off.  There were ten more Saturn Vs on the shelves when I bought mine.  I decided I needed to scrape together the money for another.  Went back three days later and all ten sets were gone.  Not only those, but EVERY large LEGO set (Ninjago, SW, etc.)  I almost jumped onto here and asked which brickpicker found my stash?  lol

Went again yesterday and  below is what I found.  Three days earlier those same shelves had sets on every shelf and the shelves to the left and other side.  Once it hit 40%, they flew.  That is now the only self with sets left in the entire store. 

I picked up two Creative Toolbox (Boost) sets @ 40% off.  One was on the shelf and I found the other one in a TRU cart full of merchandise employees were restocking shelves with.  Apparently, someone thought about buying it but left it at the register.   Admittedly, the only reason I picked these up was 1) because of its integration with the roller coaster and 2) I doubt it'll reach 40% off again after LEGO releases the future wave of LEGO sets using the boost for lighting and sounds.  In other words, Boost wasn't selling so LEGO had to create a need for it with traditional sets.  Adding the boost to all the amusement park sets could create quite the display.

The revelation that Boost incorporates with the roller coaster is the only reason I want one, and even then I'm not interested until 40-50% off.  My TRU had several last time I was there so I'm hopeful there is still one left when I hit it up after work.  

• Like 1

People are just grabbing the scraps now as its all that's left. Yesterday, one particular store had about 10 U-Wings, down to 2. Several Elves Dragon sets, down to one, I saw people walking around with them in their hands. Gram's buying kids Nexo as that's all that's left.

3 Flying Foxes were left M and Tues, and all were gone by today. Atlantis' slowly dripping out, and the Easter Egg and Poly Bags not really moving - Nor are Dimensions even at 70% off, except for the Fantastic Beasts story packs. 

Point being, if there's anything you want, I'd strongly encourage you to get it before the weekend. I doubt much of anything will survive past it. 

I am also convinced that the failure of Toy to Life items like Dimensions, Infinity, Skylanders and the relative failure of the recent wave of SW Merchadise is a major cause of TRU going out of business. ;) 

42 minutes ago, Phil B said:

And a $6B debt load

And inflated prices

And rude/disinterested employees

I think the buyout 12 years ago or whenever was the primary reason. They could have probably lasted another 10 years if they would have been managed by a better parent company, and streamlining their online sales of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I think the buyout 12 years ago or whenever was the primary reason. They could have probably lasted another 10 years if they would have been managed by a better parent company, and streamlining their online sales of course.

It came down to greed.  An LBO could be done with less debt.  However, with less debt, there have to be more equity in the capital structure.  With more equity in the capital structure, the LBO sponsor's returns are lower.

The LBO sponsors were greedy and they got burned ... and the employees became the collateral damage.

It's unmarked, but LEGO hit 50% off today. Couple stores I hit were wiped out of the scraps they had between last night and this afternoon, all that is remaining is Rogue One buildables, and Dimensions Starters, Fantastic Beasts, Laval, Teen Titan, And Laval fun packs. 

One store had 4 quake mechs yesterday at 40% off, and all poofed by this afternoon. 20 or so of the Easter Egg hunt, down to 4. Etc etc.

You can get Chirrut Inwe for $5 and Jyn Erso for $7.50 if you want em though ;)

One store told me 6/27 was the official last day for them. Not necessarily chain wide though.

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

It's unmarked, but LEGO hit 50% off today. Couple stores I hit were wiped out of the scraps they had between last night and this afternoon, all that is remaining is Rogue One buildables, and Dimensions Starters, Fantastic Beasts, Laval, Teen Titan, And Laval fun packs. 

One store had 4 quake mechs yesterday at 40% off, and all poofed by this afternoon. 20 or so of the Easter Egg hunt, down to 4. Etc etc.

One store told me 6/27 was the official last day for them. Not necessarily chain wide though.

Thanks, picked up a few scraps.

74DC2EF9-0D68-4C24-A693-0D6AB2045600.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Achilles said:

Its true.

All of it.

2 minecraft Mountains for the price of one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Achilles said:

Which state?

Thanks.

You can get Chirrut Inwe for $5 and Jyn Erso for $7.50 if you want em though

Were all shelf tags marked at 40% or did any have 30% still?