Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

Same scenario as Exciter.

My TRU is slammed. Lots of people shopping there for one reason. Checking off their lists.

ToysRUs is still THE place to go to for most towns in terms of a great place to shop for toys of all types. This time of year people care more about getting everything on their list than snagging a sale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

It almost seemed like TRU took on more sales opportunities this season from any in the past that I can remember.

But I guess too little, too late. 

I though the same until they ban me 2 weeks ago. they also have the buying limit at eBay. I though they want to sell more but i guess i am wrong. 

3 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

It almost seemed like TRU took on more sales opportunities this season from any in the past that I can remember.

Yeah TRU Canada has been pretty aggressive this season, which is pretty rare for the Canadian market.

However Amazon.ca also stepped their game up and mostly kept me away from TRU.

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, LegoEdison said:

I though the same until they ban me 2 weeks ago. they also have the buying limit at eBay. I though they want to sell more but i guess i am wrong. 

TRU really hasn't got a clue on how to run a business or treat a customer. I'll never forgive what they did to me and news of their likely collapse in the UK is music to my ears. I can't understand buying limits if they need to shift stock quickly unless LEGO are making them enforce it. Does anybody know if LEGO enforces Amazon Direct's limits as it used to be 5 and is now 2?

5 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

Same here, been buying from them constantly for the last 3 months in-store and online. Took a risk a few months ago as i always had bad experiences with packaging from them. To be fair i have never had better packaging from any retailer online than TRU lately.

As you say too little too late.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42409254

2 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think Amazon just enforced that limit so more customers got/saw the offers before they were scooped.

My worry is, as competition dwindles, Amazon monopolize the market and there's never any discounts because there's no-one to price match.

Thats my fear also and if you notice Amazon is  not as cheap as it used to be. Used to be 30-40% off retail in certain department now its 10-15%.

My store just announced that it is closing. They are no longer honoring sale prices and at 10%, most of the Lego sets aren’t a great deal. I think they stopped getting stock, because the store is very picked over. I’m going to check back after Christmas to see if there is anything left.

I visit up about 8-10 different TRU in my province in Canada. Most stores are picked with people over the last few weeks with all the BOGO 50% off sale. Most of the LEGO that is slated to retired soon are mostly gone. I can't even find much Minecraft Ice Spike anymore!

I fear if TRU close down stores, there will be less discounts available. Walmart in Canada rarely do discounts on specific themes. It now only does rollbacks and the occasional clearance. TRU is a huge source for my inventory when they have a whole theme on sale or BOGO. Amazon is not so ideal place to purchase anymore with the limit of 3. You should all try to shop at TRU more if possible in order to maintain a source for us all to buy our inventory.

Guest TabbyBoy
11 hours ago, tacsniper said:

I visit up about 8-10 different TRU in my province in Canada. Most stores are picked with people over the last few weeks with all the BOGO 50% off sale. Most of the LEGO that is slated to retired soon are mostly gone. I can't even find much Minecraft Ice Spike anymore!

I fear if TRU close down stores, there will be less discounts available. Walmart in Canada rarely do discounts on specific themes. It now only does rollbacks and the occasional clearance. TRU is a huge source for my inventory when they have a whole theme on sale or BOGO. Amazon is not so ideal place to purchase anymore with the limit of 3. You should all try to shop at TRU more if possible in order to maintain a source for us all to buy our inventory.

It's a catch-22 situation in the UK. I'd happily buy at TRU to help keep them open if they provided decent customer service, used proper boxes and didn't throw or kick boxes in bin-liners to each other or onto the vans. I think the fatcats at TRU have made their money and now want out.

I guess the situation won´t change till February as January is probably their second strongest month, what with people spending gift vouchers and Xmas money.

It will be interesting if they do start marking down items to clear in store or they prefer to make some arrrangement with suppliers or creditors.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

I guess the situation won´t change till February as January is probably their second strongest month, what with people spending gift vouchers and Xmas money.

It will be interesting if they do start marking down items to clear in store or they prefer to make some arrrangement with suppliers or creditors.

January is a dead month in toy industry. 3rd worst month in whole industry's performance comparing to the rest of the year.
That's why in January we have so many clearance events across the globe.

Edited by Shewie

2 minutes ago, Shewie said:

January is a dead month in toy industry. 3rd worst month in whole industry's performance comparing to the rest of the year.
That's why in January we have so many clearance events across the globe.

Depends where you live. Some countries like Spain and Russia celebrate their gift giving in January so there is a lot of last minute shopping. As I also mentioned, people have money to spend after Xmas.

I reckoned August and September were the worst months as people are on holiday and travelling. Feb has nothing much either.