Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

29 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Anyone ever figure out how an eBay seller in China can sell something for $0.99 (with free shipping to the United States) and make a profit? The cheapest I could ship the same item across town is $2.61.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/12/the-postal-service-is-losing-millions-a-year-to-help-you-buy-cheap-stuff-from-china/

sadly I can't remember the last time I went to TRU with my kids.  I would go every xmas when shopping... they were still a decent place to shop for video games and browse Lego and Thomas The Train.  In recent years I would only go looking for the Masterpiece Transformers for which they have the US exclusive on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, labfreak7 said:

If Toysrus goes under it would be a real tragedy, and the retail landscape will be forever changed for the worse. There is no substitute for going to a store devoted to only toys as a kid. It's the last of its kind. I hope they survive the bankruptcy, tweak their business model, and are around long enough for me to take my grandkids there to shop.

Going to Toys R Us is a miserable experience for my kids. They see all this crap they want and their Daddy says, "Let me check Amazon" or "Wait for a sale, you don't need that right now."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

Going to Toys R Us is a miserable experience for my kids. They see all this crap they want and their Daddy says, "Let me check Amazon" or "Wait for a sale, you don't need that right now."

Yeah yeah yeah, blame TRU you cheapskate. Next time have aunt or uncle go with them. They can't say no ;) 

2 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Your kids must have the same Dad as mine.

Another one :) lol

"Restructuring that debt would give Toys R Us the financial flexibility to continue its turnaround. Initiatives include improving its website and revamping its Babies R Us business, by focusing on items like cribs that are less likely than diapers to be sold on Amazon."

Two thoughts:

1) you have to file chapter 11 to improve a web site?  Basic ecomerce isn't complex like healthcare.gov, folks.

2) I've spent way more money on diapers than cribs at bru.  After all, I don't suddenly run out of cribs and have to make an emergency run to find cribs. But I shop around for car seats and buy them on Amazon or whoever is cheaper.

• Like 3

According to the press release (https://www.toysrusinc.com/press/toysrus-inc-commences-court-supervised-processes-to-implement-financial-restructuring):

• bankruptcy filing is for US and Canadian operations and not for those in the rest of the world
  • the FAQ indicates that they will continue to honor gift cards & the Rewards R Us program
    https://www.toysrusinc.com/restructuring

You can always use the gift cards now and return items within 60 days to get another gift card if it all works out, right?

For worried non North Americans:

The company said it will continue to operate as usual its approximately 1,600 Toy R Us and Babies R Us stores around the world. The company's operations outside of the U.S. and Canada are not part of the protections proceedings, it said.

Edited by Val-E

3 hours ago, tacsniper said:

I can't wait for the massive clearance coming up ;) 

If TRU does close, another will come and take its spot. There will always be a need for a brick and motor toy store. Majority of the sales are definitely from impulse buy.

Kids are throwing away physical toys for digital playground. Trend is changing, I'm doubtful that there will be another player in game with same offering. Kids are spending majority of the time playing games on pc, consoles, mobile phones. And the entry level for this entertainment is getting lower and lower. Even 3-4 year old kids are demanding own phone or console.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Shewie said:

Kids are throwing away physical toys for digital playground. Trend is changing, I'm doubtful that there will be another player in game with same offering. Kids are spending majority of the time playing games on pc, consoles, mobile phones. And the entry level for this entertainment is getting lower and lower. Even 3-4 year old kids are demanding own phone or console.

Case in point: when my daughter was turning 8 earlier this year she asked for money as birthday gifts, so she could buy a tablet for herself.

At least I managed to get some of her friends (or rather, their parents) to chip in together to give her the Lego Friends Adventure Camp Tree House (which I had acquired at 50% off). :P 

2 minutes ago, Haay said:

Case in point: when my daughter was turning 8 earlier this year she asked for money as birthday gifts, so she could buy a tablet for herself.

At least I managed to get some of her friends (or rather, their parents) to chip in together to give her the Lego Friends Adventure Camp Tree House (which I had acquired at 50% off). :P 

Did they chip in based on the RRP and you pocketed the other 50%?  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, g3man said:

According to the press release (https://www.toysrusinc.com/press/toysrus-inc-commences-court-supervised-processes-to-implement-financial-restructuring):

• bankruptcy filing is for US and Canadian operations and not for those in the rest of the world
  • the FAQ indicates that they will continue to honor gift cards & the Rewards R Us program
    https://www.toysrusinc.com/restructuring

Maybe it's because I'm in panic mode but I  saw nothing mentioning get they would honor gift cards. Why would they? It's a debt.