Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

3 hours ago, Sandwraith said:

I agree, If i want to buy a "common" set here in Canada i can usually count on TRU to put it at %20 off in a week or so. Walmart's clearances are few and far between, and most of the times hardly clearances. Amazon is practically useless and usually only price matches other peoples sales.

Target was great, their clearances were more unified across all locations and more frequent... still so sad they left Canada :( TRU seems to be in a good place up here. Indigo has been trying to have an online presence in the Toy dept, but their brick and mortar stores selection in usually pretty weak.

While all that is true, I am still more likely to find a deal above 20% at other places, be it Superstore, Walmart, even Indigo once they get around to a sale. If you're a specialty store, you should be able to say you have the best prices on your class of product on top of selection, otherwise why go?

I also miss Target. You could count on 50% off numerous sets every quarter. Guess that was a sign they were in trouble but those were good times. 

• Like 1

If TRU does indeed go under it will be like losing a part of my childhood.  My kids have grown up on TRU too.  I still have the Coleco hockey table I got there when I was a kid, that was closest version of what I call the "bubble" hockey that I played at the arcade.  I still remember the electric football game I had.  To to this day I think I never completed a pass with the little foam football.  Argh!  Every year I got to go to TRU for my birthday and that traditions continues with the next generation.

Even now, when I walk into the store with my kids the place still seems magical, they get excited and then wonder why Dad disappears into the Lego section.  It will be a very say day in my family if TRU closes its doors...

• Like 3

If they go bankrupt, who's going to remove the security spider wraps from my online purchases?

TRU has no one to blame but themselves.  I remember when they used to carry a more diverse inventory that appealed to folks of all ages -- more of a true hobby store.  At one time, as a kid, I could go in and buy real model train supplies -- like track!  Now, if you want train track, you have to buy the wooden variety.  So, maybe the idea was to focus on a particular base of customers, but they chose poorly.  The parents with young kids are more likely to take their shopping online to save time and avoid the headache of shopping with young kids in a toy store (I'm one of those parents!)

Their policies are absolutely as stupid is as stupid does.  Remember the Infinity Power Discs?  Or any other item where you would routinely have a legitimate need to buy more than 5 at a time, but the store policy is to cap customers at 5 of *anything*.

A web sites that don't work half the time on my phone.  I'd like to buy, but the website won't let me.

Yes, so many restrictions on any coupon.  I wonder how many customers learned their coupon was invalid at the checkout?  How many of those felt duped into coming into a dump of a store only to pay more than retail?

I hate to see Amazon push out some good B&M stores just because the B&M doesn't have the resources to battle Amazon on a pricing and inventory selection.  But, with TRU, I find myself rooting for Amazon just to ensure that their are good business school case studies of what not to do so that we have a chance of gaining or improving what's left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

I Hear Eddie Lampert is going to bail them out with one of his private loans.................  The new name will be:  Sears 'R' US

I'd be alright with that if they adopted the SYW program as well.

Edited by KvHulk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

With the recent article about them possibly going bankrupt this week, and someone on Reddit saying their local store is having 30-75% markdowns, how long will gift cards be good?

When Blockbuster Video went bankrupt the first time, they re-emerged still in business but all gift cards were zeroed out. They then starting selling new gift cards that looked just like the old ones. I would use them ASAP. Usually when a company goes bankrupt, those gift card funds are taken first.  

On 9/16/2017 at 7:02 PM, emazers said:

Toys  R US will never Close

People thought the same of chains like Circuit City too...  Or how about an unbeatable model like KB Toys in Malls?  Both long forgotten.

The large footprint retail model is an endangered species as long as cheap shipping is a thing.  10yrs from now we'll all be complaining about how Amazon manipulates is all and we have no alternative :)

15 hours ago, Val-E said:

Yes but perhaps they are doing better in non US regions where there is little or no competition.

The brand name is interesting enough for another company to buy it and restructure, trimming all the fat off. Especially a company that wants to break into the US or European markets.

Not sure there is a whole lot worth buying tho.  Retail Real Estate isn't nearly as desirable as it used to be.  Distribution network?  It seems to be TRUs worst aspect.  Brand-Name?  You could buy that and just operate as an online site.  But everyone is learning even that is hard to build customer loyalty to if you are selling commodity products that can be bought through aggregates who have customer retention through bundling and other economies of scale.

I think the role will die off to only be covered by Walmart...

1 minute ago, flynnibus said:

People thought the same of chains like Circuit City too...  Or how about an unbeatable model like KB Toys in Malls?  Both long forgotten.

The large footprint retail model is an endangered species as long as cheap shipping is a thing.  10yrs from now we'll all be complaining about how Amazon manipulates is all and we have no alternative :)

I remember both of those chains. I already hate Amazon, and online shopping in general. The current model of "more styles available online" makes my flying by the seat of my pants lifestyle VERY difficult. I understand that online marketplaces open new avenues, but as a result, brick & mortar stores have significantly scaled back their selections. I really hate it.

Oh yeah! Regarding TRU (and BRU), as a mother of 4, I only shopped there to buy things that the discount stores didn't have. The prices were consistently high, so I tried to work as many BOGO offers as possible when TRU was the only seller.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poly 30286 said:

I remember both of those chains. I already hate Amazon, and online shopping in general. The current model of "more styles available online" makes my flying by the seat of my pants lifestyle VERY difficult. I understand that online marketplaces open new avenues, but as a result, brick & mortar stores have significantly scaled back their selections. I really hate it.

That is a new backlash I foresee coming... the lack of curation in online retail listings leading to 'too many choices' and people shutting down in frustration.  Amazon and others are suffering this now as more and more etailers sell the direct from china/HK stuff.  You'll see 200 variations of the same thing... and people are going to get more and more burned buying junk and blaming Amazon/eBay/etc.  That was part of what you got when you bought from a reputable store... you had an expectation of a certain quality based on where you were.  That is showing signs of breaking down and no longer is just in product categories like 'cell phone cases'.  The more that stuff bleeds into non-tech... the more middle america is exposed to it and the problem will increase.

I love having the choice... but when the choices make even simple buying decisions difficult..  the backlash will come.

• Like 1

If Toysrus goes under it would be a real tragedy, and the retail landscape will be forever changed for the worse. There is no substitute for going to a store devoted to only toys as a kid. It's the last of its kind. I hope they survive the bankruptcy, tweak their business model, and are around long enough for me to take my grandkids there to shop.

Edited by labfreak7
  • Like 4