Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

27 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:
Hello,
We noticed that you purchased a gift card to Toys”R”Us and/or Babies”R”Us on our marketplace within the last year. Unfortunately, these retailers have indicated that they will be closing a number of store locations in the coming weeks. Toys”R”Us has announced that April 15, 2018 is the last day to redeem unused gift cards.
If you have yet to redeem the value of these gift cards, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Please click here to find a store near you, or visit www.toysrus.com to redeem your eGift cards online.
Here at Raise, we strive to provide the best service and policies for our members. Unfortunately at this time, as stated by our 1 Year Money-Back Guarantee we are unable to provide refunds for brands that have gone out of business. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and ask that you contact Raise Member Services with any questions.
We appreciate your business and hope to continue help make your money worth more for years to come. 
Sincerely,
The Raise Team

I'm sticking this message to the top.  April 15 isn't that far off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

There are two strong independent "Mom&Pop" toy store chains (2-3 stores each) in my area. Both sell LEGO sets in addition to the typical brands you wouldn't find at WM TRU or Target. One of those stores has a LEGO selection that rivals most of the major retailers around them. I think that local Mom and pop shops that sell LEGO sets will do well once TRU shuts it's doors. These stores are all about the hands on play with the product before you buy concept.

Here's a pic taken last year as an example. (there are two more walls that size)

1x9zn2PnGGJBpG_h-BaB2KJrl5FXuPfeTsZ8FiZR

Nice selection...We have nothing like this in central/south NJ...

5 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

There are two strong independent "Mom&Pop" toy store chains (2-3 stores each) in my area. Both sell LEGO sets in addition to the typical brands you wouldn't find at WM TRU or Target. One of those stores has a LEGO selection that rivals most of the major retailers around them. I think that local Mom and pop shops that sell LEGO sets will do well once TRU shuts it's doors. These stores are all about the hands on play with the product before you buy concept.

Here's a pic taken last year as an example. (there are two more walls that size)

It's interesting that there are Speed Champions in your picture.  I thought those were TRU exclusives.  I certainly haven't seen them outside of TRU and the Lego store, and we have a handful of good, but small, toys stores in our area.  (Magic Beans, for example.)

Guest TabbyBoy

Nothing fleeces buyers more than Hamleys which are RPP+ and RRP++ at airports. They must be doing something right. Or... tourists are more gullible than I thought.

30 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nothing fleeces buyers more than Hamleys which are RPP+ and RRP++ at airports. They must be doing something right. Or... tourists are more gullible than I thought.

I believe we fleece buyers more than Hamleys and Toys R Us.

It's fun listening to everyone complain about Toys R Us's pricing and that it's no wonder they go under with their high prices. I'm on the opposite side and think their prices were quite fair for the people that needed them. Most of the people that shop their are either impulse buyers that don't look at prices or are last minute shoppers that don't have time to order. I'm quite sure there's room for a big toy store like this, but one that doesn't have the baggage that has to be carried on their back for decades from bad deals in the past.

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Nice selection...We have nothing like this in central/south NJ...

Small world, I'm in central NJ.  We had a toy store in our downtown close up last year.  Their LEGO selection was WAY outdated and WAY overpriced.  The sales they would run wouldn't even bring it below MSRP.  It didn't surprise me when they closed.  

The other mom and pop toy store  in town has their LEGO so over priced, I'm shocked they're still in business.  The last time I looked, which will most likely be the last, their 50% "clearance" price was just below each set's MSRP.  *sigh*  I don't get that.

11 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

The other mom and pop toy store  in town has their LEGO so over priced, I'm shocked they're still in business.  The last time I looked, which will most likely be the last, their 50% "clearance" price was just below each set's MSRP.  *sigh*  I don't get that.

LOL, and you guys on here are betting your business on the same practice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Went to my closing TRU, now in the 5th or so week of the liquidation process. Last time I went was a week ago, when the LEGO section was still it's normal size, all marked with yellow dots indicating a 10% discount. Only the clearance LEGO sets were 25% off of the clearance price.

This time around, the store had transformed to a post-apocalyptic nightmare. LEGO section was just one wall, almost all still 10% off. Looked like TLG came to collect most of it - I cannot believe it all sold in a week at 10% off (then again, the full liquidation news might have inspired folks). Clearance LEGO was now at 40% off (i.e. SHG High School for $29.99). Only thing clearance left was SHG stuff, and the High Schools had gone down from 20+ copies to 4.

I'm not going back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrickSamurai said:

There is absolutely no sign of any closer or price reductions here in south Florida. They'll keep all until the last minutes and some stores have even raised their prices as well. :)

Welcome to sunny paradise. :)

What part of south Florida are you in?

Sales Start This Thursday at all Toys R US Stores.

6b2b62f9df1582b768406e2bcb638514.jpg

Posted 16 minutes ago by WreckerJack - 374 views

NEW! We have more news regarding Toys R Us going out of business. A quick thanks to Emerje for bringing this to our attention. This news comes to us from Business Insider. Toys R Us is planning to close all of it's stores and liquidate all of it's items. Toys R Us has notified employees that stores and warehouses will be shutting down by May 14th. According to employees, liquidation sales will start Thursday of this week so keep a look out. There is still time for one last visit. If you feel - Read More

• Like 1

On the flip side, here's a report from TheBrickFan:

Also on the memo was the “Do Not Liquidate” list which includes LEGO. From what I saw, it pretty much included all of the newer LEGO sets. It has been talked about around the LEGO community that TRU will be sending all their LEGO products back to LEGO themselves and there will be no sales on the sets, at least the more recent ones. It’s nice to finally see some confirmation and stop with the guessing on whether or not there will be LEGO sales during the liquidation.

Read more here

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:
17 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:
The circle of life continues. The Brick and Mortar killer is eyeing brick and mortar opportunities.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-said-to-be-eyeing-some-vacant-toys-r-us-buildings/ar-BBKro5a?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

I hear there is a toy chain they could buy ....

Too bad the toy chain does not come with its own parcel delivery service :P

1 minute ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Too bad the toy chain does not come with its own parcel delivery service :P

But it does come with LOADS AND LOADS of debt!

Seriously though, Amazon could easily fill all 800 vacancies and have a large storefront footprint, but they wouldn't need to buy TRU to do that.

I was at my local TRU today.  I felt ripped off honestly.  It seemed much of the crap that remained was overpriced or marked up.  A few Chima sets left not worth buying.  Employees were nice, but things were marked haphazardly and in a confusing manner.  We tried to buy a few soccer balls for my son's recess at school and they were way overpriced.  I really don't feel too bad for them now.  

If I didn't know better, I would think they were just trying to quicken their own demise.  I went to TRU this evening and had a similar experience.  LEGO still over priced, not a single sale on anything worthwhile.  The couple of sets marked "clearance" were only 10% down from their already over priced amt.  And they want to blame Amazon for their demise?  I don't think so.

They know people are cashing in their giftcards and will take anything at whatever price at this point just to use their paid for cards. TRU know they are getting very little cash coming in at this point, so why not inflate the prices. They got nothing to lose at this point.

• Like 1