How do you handle your Star Wars UCS collection concerning the remakes?

How do you handle your Star Wars UCS collection concerning the remakes?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you handle your Star Wars UCS collection concerning the remakes?

• I collect both, the original and the remade sets
    • I collect only the remakes and sell the original versions.
    • I collect only the original sets
    • It depends on the remade set (give an explanation below)
    • It doesn't really matter to me.

Assuming the remake is an improvement in quality/detail/structural integrity; i will always go for the remake and offload the previous model to pay for the new one. I don't have sentimental value in the sets themselves, but the ships/vehicles/scenes they depict. So if the new one looks better then i'm all for it.

10188 and Toy Shop not included of course, their differences are minuscule.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on the person.

I have a friend whose goal in life is to have a complete set of every single LEGO SW thing ever.

He's down to about 10-15 items these days.

Yes, he had 10188. Yes, he bought the remake. No he did not sell 10188.

I have no doubt he will continue this. I know he has 10179 and I'm positive 75192 will be purchased day one if he can swing it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Guess it depends on the person.

I have a friend whose goal in life is to have a complete set of every single LEGO SW thing ever.

He's down to about 10-15 items these days.

Yes, he had 10188. Yes, he bought the remake. No he did not sell 10188.

I have no doubt he will continue this. I know he has 10179 and I'm positive 75192 will be purchased day one if he can swing it.

We stopped our each and every Star Wars set/minifig collection back in 2012 - Too much space and it was quickly becoming clear that it was going to get out of hand (with re-releases, etc).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KShine said:

We stopped our each and every Star Wars set/minifig collection back in 2012 - Too much space and it was quickly becoming clear that it was going to get out of hand (with re-releases, etc).

What kills me about this friend of mine, is that he's a day one buyer for everything SW.  Doesn't matter that we all know the sets will go on sale down the line.  He starts buying new sets the day they come out.

22 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

What kills me about this friend of mine, is that he's a day one buyer for everything SW.  Doesn't matter that we all know the sets will go on sale down the line.  He starts buying new sets the day they come out.

Your friend is lucky to care about it so much - I wish I still cared ☹️

Unfortunately I only came out of my Lego Dark Ages way too late to even have a chance to get many of the beautiful UCS Star Wars sets at retail or even below. Sets I missed that I would have wanted to have are: 

10019 Rebel Blockade Runner

10134 Y-Wing

10174 Imperial AT-ST

10175 Vader's TIE Advanced

10212 Imperial Shuttle

10225 R2-D2

10227 B-Wing 

In the past I would also have wanted to have the 10129 Snowspeeder, but now I'm glad I can get the 75144 Snowspeeder instead which in my opinion is a better model.

So who knows with Lego doing remakes of old UCS sets, we might at some day also get rereleases of some of the sets mentioned above...

1 minute ago, Haay said:

Unfortunately I only came out of my Lego Dark Ages way too late to even have a chance to get many of the beautiful UCS Star Wars sets at retail or even below. Sets I missed that I would have wanted to have are: 

10019 Rebel Blockade Runner

10134 Y-Wing

10174 Imperial AT-ST

10175 Vader's TIE Advanced

10212 Imperial Shuttle

10225 R2-D2

10227 B-Wing 

In the past I would also have wanted to have the 10129 Snowspeeder, but now I'm glad I can get the 75144 Snowspeeder instead which in my opinion is a better model.

So who knows with Lego doing remakes of old UCS sets, we might at some day also get rereleases of some of the sets mentioned above...

And what have you done regarding 7191 and 10240?

Just now, mauro23 said:

And what have you done regarding 7191 and 10240?

I never got the 7191 X-Wing, but I did buy a couple of 10240. While it's quite conceivable that the UCS X-Wing will get another remake at some time in the future, I doubt it is high on the priority list of LEGO UCS team right now. :P  So for the next several years that set is safe to slowly grow in value. 

Just now, Haay said:

I never got the 7191 X-Wing, but I did buy a couple of 10240. While it's quite conceivable that the UCS X-Wing will get another remake at some time in the future, I doubt it is high on the priority list of LEGO UCS team right now. :P  So for the next several years that set is safe to slowly grow in value. 

But how would you have decided if you would already have 7191? 

It’s made my mind up to sell them all.  I don’t really have all that many SSD, R2, Shuttle, Yoda, I do I’ve a stack of non UCS which I’ll also move, as I’m done with holding any SW for personal. Actually I’m done with pretty much everything except Modulars and some Vehicles – Mini/VW etc.  

Edit. I may hold onto the Slave as it is a lovely piece, that doesn't take up too much room.

Edited by feed

I buy all the UCS. They don't cost that much that it would make me concerned. If the remake is clearly better I sell the old one to save space (except 10179, I keep that for emotional reasons). I am out of investing since 2015. Now I live in a small apartment and my parents store my stash. My goal is that when I have kids and a family home I have a nice collection.

12 minutes ago, feed said:

It’s made my mind up to sell them all.  I don’t really have all that many SSD, R2, Shuttle, Yoda, I do I’ve a stack of non UCS which I’ll also move, as I’m done with holding any SW for personal. Actually I’m done with pretty much everything except Modulars and some Vehicles – Mini/VW etc.  

Edit. I may hold onto the Slave as it is a lovely piece, that doesn't take up too much room.

It seems that there are many people which think in the same way at the meantime. I have also reduced my collection by around 100 sets... It simply does not make sense to collect them all due to time restrictions...

17 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

It seems that there are many people which think in the same way at the meantime. I have also reduced my collection by around 100 sets... It simply does not make sense to collect them all due to time restrictions...

It’s space for me. 
That’s my SSD.  It’s been under a cloth in a corner for two years.  I really don’t want to dismantle it and rebuild it again and I just don’t have the room to put it anywhere else.  It’s not likely to get remade but sooner or later people are going to stop caring about it. 

253 002.jpg

1 hour ago, mauro23 said:

But how would you have decided if you would already have 7191? 

I don't really know as I wasn't present back then when 10240 was released. So how did people (collector's and UCS investors) react when set 10240 was revealed? And was there ample warning before the official release, or did it get released out of nowhere? 

If I'd had a 7191 for my own collection back then, I would probably have sold it (at a profit, hopefully) and then used that profit to buy the 10240 as replacement. A MISB 7191 I would definitely have kept at least one box of. Although I do think 10240 is an improvement, there is something truly special about the 7191 which together with 7181 were the very first two UCS sets!

17 hours ago, KShine said:

I didn't jump in until my sons first year of his life, then I was like "holy moly I have a son, and he must grow up on star wars" and so I started buying lego sets and figures for him.  While I haven't gone back and divulged in the old sets from 2000 to 2010 (although do have many minis from this era), I'm now feeling the oversatuartion point today as we start seeing remakes of sets that were just out a few years back.  Do I need another MF just because it has 4 new pieces, and a slightly changed color scheme with 3 new minis.  No. 

As much as i'd like to have a museum filled with every star wars set ever made, it's not feasible... We have just about every SW set from 2011 to present (except for clone wars and rebels) and already it takes up a lot of space.  Then add in my boy also liked the JW, Scooby Doo, Batman Movie, Lego Movie, Modulars, etc... it all can get too crazy too quickly.  In the end... i'm now at the point where we just buy 3 or 4 new sets a year, and then pick and choose minis from sets we like.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I didn't jump in until my sons first year of his life, then I was like "holy moly I have a son, and he must grow up on star wars" and so I started buying lego sets and figures for him.  

It can never be said enough times.

Enjoy your kids - it all goes by so fast.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

10030 would be my first test to this as I had long sold my 10179 before having to worry about a remake and never had the other sets that were remade.  10030's remake will have to be killer for me part with it.  I can see having both, but would only sell 10030 if the new one far surpassed it .  

I'm almost in the same exact boat. Sold my 10179 over a year ago and the only other set I have that was remade is the Deathstar, which I hated anyway and sold recently. If 10030 was remade, I think I would buy it hands down. I don't think a remake would be too much smaller than 10030 and that's the best part about the set...it's a behemoth!