My BrickHeadz designs were stolen and are being sold by "LOZ"

CM4Sci

Question

I just saw a post on Instagram showcasing some knockoff BrickHeadz models, and whaddya know! Two of them are very similar if not directly taken from mine!

I had a feeling this day would come!

The originals are here, click the pics and they should take you to the MONTHS OLD pictures

BH 6 - Link & Princess Zelda

BrickHeadz scrap - Harley and Barbara

Does anyone know if I can do anything about this?

• Sad 1

15 answers to this question

Short answer: No

Smart ass answer: See LEGO's fight with that bogus bricks company we shall not name. If they can't stop it you can't.

You could list them for sale - put the LDDs on Bricklink for example. Try to cut into his market.

But yeah, you don't have anything you can really do. On the brightside you're just like some of the other designers out there who've had their designs stolen.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:34 PM, CM4Sci said:
I just saw a post on Instagram showcasing some knockoff BrickHeadz models, and whaddya know! Two of them are very similar if not directly taken from mine!

The originals are here, click the pics and they should take you to the MONTHS OLD pictures

Yes, never ever post your designs on the internet again.

You could go on the offensive, draft a cease & desist letter, and send it over to the seller to see if you can bluff them away, but unless you have tons of money to spare and willing to take the financial risk there's not much you can do.

15 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

His designs fall under fair use.  He designed them for personal use, and wasn't selling the designs.  So not a big deal.

I think he means against the copyrights that Nintendo and DC hold. If that other guy is selling them it's infringement against those companies.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/artist-alley-network-international/copyright-infringement-contact-list/540746886097306/

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I think he means against the copyrights that Nintendo and DC hold. If that other guy is selling them it's infringement against those companies.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/artist-alley-network-international/copyright-infringement-contact-list/540746886097306/

That makes better sense than what I thought :lol: 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

This is correct. But to @Alpinemaps point, it's naive to think that rights holders don't try to punish people who publish designs that ought to be OK under fair use. There's a risk they might try to shoot the messenger.

Edited by mizeur

LOZ? What the heck sort of name for a company is that? It sounds like a deliberately 'trolly' name where they took how some people say "LOL" but slur at the end with a "Z". Well unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do really in this case. On the plus side (if you could consider one), your designs were good enough to get noticed ....and copied. ....I know, a lousy 'positive' but "thieves gonna thieve" and nothing will change that. Besides anyone who follows your progress should recognize your work like a signature.

I just realized LOZ is also the initials for Legend Of Zelda. Okay, now I'm :angry:.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:00 PM, TheOrcKing said:

LOZ? What the heck sort of name for a company is that? It sounds like a deliberately 'trolly' name where they took how some people say "LOL" but slur at the end with a "Z". Well unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do really in this case. On the plus side (if you could consider one), your designs were good enough to get noticed ....and copied. ....I know, a lousy 'positive' but "thieves gonna thieve" and nothing will change that. Besides anyone who follows your progress should recognize your work like a signature.

I just realized LOZ is also the initials for Legend Of Zelda. Okay, now I'm :angry:.

Better than DeCool. I mean, what on earth?!

On 9/13/2017 at 11:34 PM, CM4Sci said:

What happened with this? Did you get a resolution?

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:34 PM, CM4Sci said:

Not to get political, but the US should just ban all trade with China. Probably wouldn't make economic sense, but I am so sick of all the knockoffs. Don't they have any original ideas of their own? They have to copy and produce cheap and toxic knockoffs? Really fed up with it.