I've officially divested from LEGO

10 hours ago, Bat man said:

The writing is on the wall, I decided to get out now while market prices are still (marginally) profitable. Feels good, and the free’d space in the house is a plus. From here forward all LEGO sets will be those we actually want to build. 

Count me out as well.  My profit margin has been seriously reduced by the Lego remakes and fakes.  I did have my fun over the past few years buying/flipping 30-40 10179's, Carousels and Taj Majals for serious profit especially to international buyers.  I have been selling off my 500 plus sets for a year now.  Down to about 300.  I'm a lifelong Lego fan and will remain a collector.

• Like 4

I sold 600 sets to one buyer in last month and a half. I have another 100-150 sets to go. After that I will have maybe 50 sets left. It feels great, but I'm not out. As a "non-Amazonian" I will just rethink my whole investing strategy. Hopefully pick up more buyers like that one (Amazon seller) and continue with wholesale operation. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Emazers will outlast us all!

I told you guys a few years ago about how people Crack investing in Lego, and there are alot of guys from 3 years ago that are not on this site no more, there always be people who crack. "As For Emazers well he will start to crack in about 5 years, I said I would stop buying when I was 70, so thats a year and a half. I figure it will take me a good 5-8 years to sell all my stuff. so I will take my half million dollars that I made, if I am still living I guess I will still be doing what I do now, except no selling.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, emazers said:

I told you guys a few years ago about how people Crack investing in Lego, and there are alot of guys from 3 years ago that are not on this site no more, there always be people who crack. "As For Emazers well he will start to crack in about 5 years, I said I would stop buying when I was 70, so thats a year and a half. I figure it will take me a good 5-8 years to sell all my stuff. so I will take my half million dollars that I made, if I am still living I guess I will still be doing what I do now, except no selling.

Do you have any children or significant other?  Because if you don't and  you need a beneficiary....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

care to elaborate why you made such a decision ? i would like to get your perception on the status of the market . if not, i understand. 

I’m not sure about what is driving the market down, maybe it’s kids shifting their interest away from LEGO, maybe it’s knock offs, maybe it’s TLG rereleases, maybe it’s spending patterns of households? I do know TLG will implement policies to defend THEIR profits, and these policies aren’t necessarily good for investors. 

For example, look at the trend of once profitable sets, such as the tumbler, 76023. I routinely sold this set for $310-320 on eBay. The average price now by my metric is $270-280.

$280 * 13% fees =  $243 revenue

If you want to be competitive you have to offer free or discounted shipping, on a set such as 76023, you’re looking at $20-30 just for shipping. 

Which brings your revenue down to $213-223

Set initially cost $199 * .06 sales tax = $211. 

(even though I didn’t pay full price for every set, I manage FIFO) 

Bringing net profit to $2-12, and that’s without counting any opportunity costs associated with the time to sell, package and ship. 

I’m not sure about what is driving the market down, maybe it’s kids shifting their interest away from LEGO, maybe it’s knock offs, maybe it’s TLG rereleases, maybe it’s spending patterns of households? I do know TLG will implement policies to defend THEIR profits, and these policies aren’t necessarily good for investors. 
For example, look at the trend of once profitable sets, such as the tumbler, 76023. I routinely sold this set for $310-320 on eBay. The average price now by my metric is $270-280.
$280 * 13% fees =  $243 revenue
If you want to be competitive you have to offer free or discounted shipping, on a set such as 76023, you’re looking at $20-30 just for shipping. 
Which brings your revenue down to $213-223
Set initially cost $199 * .06 sales tax = $211. 
(even though I didn’t pay full price for every set, I manage FIFO) 
Bringing net profit to $2-12, and that’s without counting any opportunity costs associated with the time to sell, package and ship. 

Only goes to show that the market has shifted from selling big exclusives bought at minimal discount to selling small-to-medium sized sets bought at at least 50% off. I'm still averaging over 100% ROI, and I am very small potatoes.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1