Ideas #019: 21312 - Women of NASA

Val-E

10 hours ago, newbie77 said:

@waddamon do you still remember ROI on #76005 or that was someone else back in 2015 that i was cautioning to not buy @ 41,99  [ i believe] fast forward to dec 2017 and its only 69,99 [https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Super-Heroes-Daily-Showdown/dp/B00A850VBApopover-anchor-star-2x.png] . if net=$54,49 whooping 30% ROI and 9% AROI .. so its better than bank but there were better sets available during those times. :) again no hard feelings.. let the record speak for itself.

I do, I don't own a one of those.  Barely made my return goals on the Batman sets, which taught me the truth about superheroes sets.  Of course there is always a winner now and then, like wolverine.  I should have quoted instead of just posted, the guy you quoted was what I was mainly referencing.  Anyone ignoring the amount of listings on Amazon and eBay, isn't assessing the risks.  All of this is absolutely speculation with very high counterparts risk.  My main beef with many posts are statements of fact are based on pure fiction.  Reinforces why my industry is so darn regulated and so many people end up being lemmings and losing their money. In this game that they didn't have and used credit cards or whatever to finance said behavior.  Same problem with stocks,  Amazon has almost no profit margin and a PE of somewhere around 300.  That is far worse than women of nasa.  This set was my last attempt that the old days might still have a chance, they do not.

Edited by waddamon
Wording

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I do, I don't own a one of those.  Barely made my return goals on the Batman sets, which taught me the truth about superheroes sets.  Of course there is always a winner now and then, like wolverine.  I should have quoted instead of just posted, the guy you quoted was what I was mainly referencing.  Anyone ignoring the amount of listings on Amazon and eBay, isn't assessing the risks.  All of this is absolutely speculation with very high counterparts risk.  My main beef with many posts are statements of fact are based on pure fiction.  Reinforces why my industry is so darn regulated and so many people end up being lemmings and losing their money. In this game that they didn't have and used credit cards or whatever to finance said behavior.  Same problem with stocks,  Amazon has almost no profit margin and a PE of somewhere around 300.  That is far worse than women of nasa.  This set was my last attempt that the old days might still have a chance, they do not.

That's a good statement and it would be interesting to revist the concerns that we have this time next year. Is 21312 a turkey? I think not, in the UK at least but, you never know. However I had a big enough discount to hopefully break even at worst. All funds I use for LEGO are disposable.

Have to change with the times.  Work hard, make money, spend little,save more, reinvest, manage risk and be willing to do more than the next guy or gal, and the dollars show up.  Love what you do and be passionate about your dreams.  Consumerism is the opposite of building a net worth and most people never will get there becasue they always have a reason to buy crap they don't need.  I dont know who Tabby is or what he does, but I can sure appreciate the risk game he plays. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, newbie77 said:

@waddamon do you still remember ROI on #76005 or that was someone else back in 2015 that i was cautioning to not buy @ 41,99  [ i believe] fast forward to dec 2017 and its only 69,99 [https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Super-Heroes-Daily-Showdown/dp/B00A850VBA] . if net=$54,49 whooping 30% ROI and 9% AROI .. so its better than bank but there were better sets available during those times. :) again no hard feelings.. let the record speak for itself.

That Daily Bugle showdown is a complete bust unless you were able to get it for $29.99 back then from Walmart. After fees and shipping, you can't make much.
If you loaded up 10 sets, that would be $300. At that same time, if you bought a 5.0 graded Amazing spiderman #129 1st punisher appearance at $300, it is now worth north of $600 and it takes up less shelf space. FYI, daily bugle cannot fetch 69.99, only idiot buyers are paying that much.

15 hours ago, waddamon said:

Have to change with the times.  Work hard, make money, spend little,save more, reinvest, manage risk and be willing to do more than the next guy or gal, and the dollars show up.  Love what you do and be passionate about your dreams.  Consumerism is the opposite of building a net worth and most people never will get there becasue they always have a reason to buy crap they don't need.  I dont know who Tabby is or what he does, but I can sure appreciate the risk game he plays. 

Tabby said to hold for a year as I recalled. You need people like him in order to make money. If everyone flips fast and nobody like Tabby, this set would've collapsed even faster.
The correct thing to do like most sets is to flip fast on initial release, then reload a month later when the sets go 30% off or BOGO. This strategy never fails. I don't recall any set aside from Mars Rover that never had another batch released. Maybe the UCS MF for now? But that honking piece of junk will get another wave coming and suckers are paying over 1000 for it.

Guest TabbyBoy

No risk, no gain. If an item can still be sold at the buy-in price (99% can be), is there really a risk? Humans love space and will be climbing over themselves to get this when it's done.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, GregP said:

Not sure if is already been mentioned but this is now available at smyths in UK

Yes, I noticed it last night. I wonder if it was stock that was allocated to TRU, but now gone boobs-up? Roll on Smyths vouchers and % off ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

No risk, no gain. If an item can still be sold at the buy-in price (99% can be), is there really a risk? Humans love space and will be climbing over themselves to get this when it's done.

Except in your special case no set that's sold for same purchase price to yield/recover initial investment

On 12/2/2017 at 3:09 AM, TabbyBoy said:

I hope you are just joking. Sold at "buy-in" price means no risk? You are not counting the time taken to go and pick up the set, and to stock the set. Any part of the process is a risk. Risk of breaking leg on your way picking it up, risk of flooding at home, risk of break-in, etc.......It's better you buy Amazon shares now and you will still be able to sell at buy in price in the future, only risk is breaking fingers pressing the buy button on your trading app.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

I hope you are just joking. Sold at "buy-in" price means no risk? You are not counting the time taken to go and pick up the set, and to stock the set. Any part of the process is a risk. Risk of breaking leg on your way picking it up, risk of flooding at home, risk of break-in, etc.......It's better you buy Amazon shares now and you will still be able to sell at buy in price in the future, only risk is breaking fingers pressing the buy button on your trading app.

How do you not know that Tabby has a giant robot that collects his items and places them in his home upon a hill in a large secure vault guraded 24/7 by attack cats mitigating all the risks in your post?

Guest TabbyBoy
31 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

Not joking at all. Let me clarify... By "buy-in" I mean costs associated with acquiring the sets including car/van costs along with parking and even the large 390g bar of Galaxy that always seems to fall into the basket at Tesco! Of course, I combine most pick-ups with another trip for a different purpose.

Even packing is a risk as I cut through my left thumb/index webbing with scissors when trimming a box which needed 4 stitches. I blame my Tabby for jumping on my back at the time and sinking his claws in.

I thought that I was the only pedantic bugger on here ;-)

32 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

How do you not know that Tabby has a giant robot that collects his items and places them in his home upon a hill in a large secure vault guraded 24/7 by attack cats mitigating all the risks in your post?

Are you psychic?

5 hours ago, Will 4 said:

True. But the cost of getting that giant robot is high. He'll need to have 1000 sets of these to recoup the cost and maintenance fees of his robot.

" Not joking at all. Let me clarify... By "buy-in" I mean costs associated with acquiring the sets including car/van costs along with parking and even the large 390g bar of Galaxy that always seems to fall into the basket at Tesco! Of course, I combine most pick-ups with another trip for a different purpose. "

You need to factor in your own labor cost too. If you are not making more than $20/hr on this, I suggest you better go to McDonald's and flip some patties.

1 hour ago, legodelorean said:

Found these at TRU today......

45824E56-DA46-48CF-BC67-F3521FC5AFFB.jpeg

This isn't surprising, my TRU and lego store have tonnes of these. This set is ready to collect some dust.

• Like 1