Ideas #019: 21312 - Women of NASA

Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Lego Benito said:

They're stored in my Lego bunker next to my 300 pallets of Exo Suits.

Don't tell me.... your bunker is made out of unsold-bought-at-RRP Ewok Villages? ? 

There's no reason to not believe you as I've personally seen pallets upon pallets of 10179 MFs, 10221 SSDs and 10225 R2-D2s. BTW... he's not a BP member and you have to call him 24hrs before with proof of ID before you're allowed anywhere near the place. Think of the Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse, and you'll have an idea.

Really split on how many of these to get. With signs of retirement is this a good buy at this stage or not?

Here in the uk it does seems that the only main retailers selling it now is john lewis and lego. Ebay sales though look terrible from what I can see, looks as if it rarely sells which is quite off putting. 

I've ordered 10 as it is which includes the promo's from lego, really wanting to order more but something at the back of my mind is telling me to stop lol. 

Anyone in the uk gone big on these, it defiantly could go either way once retired. 

Edited by raulaco

1 hour ago, raulaco said:

Really split on how many of these to get. With signs of retirement is this a good buy at this stage or not?

Here in the uk it does seems that the only main retailers selling it now is john lewis and lego. Ebay sales though look terrible from what I can see, looks as if it rarely sells which is quite off putting. 

I've ordered 10 as it is which includes the promo's from lego, really wanting to order more but something at the back of my mind is telling me to stop lol. 

Anyone in the uk gone big on these, it defiantly could go either way once retired. 

I've gone for 7, and feel nervous about that many lol.

Edit: They are easy to store though.

Edited by neeon82

36 minutes ago, neeon82 said:

I've gone for 7, and feel nervous about that many lol.

Edit: They are easy to store though.

Yes I may hold off buying anymore and see if it gets reduced but I'm guessing that's highly unlikely.  Like you say at least there very easy to store and relatively cheap lol

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, raulaco said:

eBay sales will be terrible if the set is still available from LEGO and JLP. I'd never buy iff eBay if I can get it from a proper retailer for the same or even a little more.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

eBay sales will be terrible if the set is still available from LEGO and JLP. I'd never buy iff eBay if I can get it from a proper retailer for the same or even a little more.

I agree to some extent but it still surely can be an indicator of how popular the item is and will be after retirement. The 21309 for example, same places available at retailers but the rocket is selling on ebay at least a few each day if not more, compare that to the WoN which is barely selling. Maybe the demand is just not there for the WoN or maybe the demand is just huge for the rocket. I just would of expected alot more sales through ebay at this time of year. 

Edited by raulaco

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
On 11/8/2018 at 10:59 PM, raulaco said:

I agree to some extent but it still surely can be an indicator of how popular the item is and will be after retirement. The 21309 for example, same places available at retailers but the rocket is selling on ebay at least a few each day if not more, compare that to the WoN which is barely selling. Maybe the demand is just not there for the WoN or maybe the demand is just huge for the rocket. I just would of expected alot more sales through ebay at this time of year. 

We all know that S5 is a superb set and may be around for a very long time yet. However, I still have great feelings for WoN as it will be a good companion for the RI and S5 further down the line. If another female scientists set gets released, completionists will pay through the nose for WoN. It's hard to gauge demand for anything as eBayers may be holding for higher prices (like me) and nobody knows production figures and retailer sales figures. I admit, the current JLP offer for S5/WoN is very tempting and I would've honestly cleared them out if it was last year and I didn't already have over 250 of each.

demand is seriously waning on this set on amazon just as peak toy buying season starts.  dropped out of the top 100 sets (for reference SV is #48).

181 sellers at the moment.  you can imagine there are another 100 out there who haven't listed.  sure there are a lot of nasa fans just but the supply is more than met.

and this set just seems lacking the kid play magic that even RI had with the dinosaur build and the chem lab.  what fun - a stack of books!  mom- can i have that real lego space shuttle instead of this little tiny one?

the math of sales rank and seller count on this one point towards ecto1 like return.  that is not even 2x msrp 24 months post EOL.

investor beware.

good morning sunshine!  

Edited by cladner

Guest TabbyBoy
47 minutes ago, cladner said:

demand is seriously waning on this set on amazon just as peak toy buying season starts.  dropped out of the top 100 sets (for reference SV is #48).

181 sellers at the moment.  you can imagine there are another 100 out there who haven't listed.  sure there are a lot of nasa fans just but the supply is more than met.

and this set just seems lacking the kid play magic that even RI had with the dinosaur build and the chem lab.  what fun - a stack of books!  mom- can i have that real lego space shuttle instead of this little tiny one?

the math of sales rank and seller count on this one point towards ecto1 like return.  that is not even 2x msrp 24 months post EOL.

investor beware.

good morning sunshine!  

It's obvious that we are now in an era of retail arbitrage so RRPs are rarely applicable. Even if I sell all my WoN and S5 at RRP in 2 years time, it's still a return far better than any bank. Ecto 1 has been a huge winner for most of us at it's making 2x after fees judging by average selling price. Because it's a tiny set, Worldwide postage will be reasonable and I'm happy to supply that little market. I also have an "in" to Australia so I have plans there too ?

11 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's obvious that we are now in an era of retail arbitrage so RRPs are rarely applicable. Even if I sell all my WoN and S5 at RRP in 2 years time, it's still a return far better than any bank. Ecto 1 has been a huge winner for most of us at it's making 2x after fees judging by average selling price. Because it's a tiny set, Worldwide postage will be reasonable and I'm happy to supply that little market. I also have an "in" to Australia so I have plans there too ?

my ECTOs are making 3x times the original purchase price.. but the issue with AUS is that goddamned duty free entry limit up to 1000 NZD max.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Phil B said:

1. No, she died December 26th.

2. What is that set on the left? The Bogus Bricks version of WoN?

Whoops!  Old news I guess, Bad info from my folks LOL.  Fail this morning... the image on the left looks like from the original Lego Ideas Submission.