Odd Paypal Case - Stolen Credit Card

TheBrickMeister

A couple months ago, I sold a Lego 75054. However, before I could ship it, the buyer went to their credit card company to claim that it was used fraudulently. They also opened a case with Paypal. I told Paypal as part of resolving the case through their website that I didn't ship the item and I thought it should be a simple case where they could just refund the buyer with the funds that I had received. Instead, it dragged out for more than a month and in the end, the Paypal case was closed with the funds being released to my account...for an item I never shipped!!

I tried looking around online for someone else in a similar situation but no luck there. I have half a mind to call Paypal and ask that they take the money, because it doesn't seem like it should be mine to keep. Does anyone know why this would have happened? Is it appropriate for me to keep the money? Maybe someone who knows Paypal or credit card companies better may be able to shed some light onto this.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, TheBrickMeister said:

A couple months ago, I sold a Lego 75054. However, before I could ship it, the buyer went to their credit card company to claim that it was used fraudulently. They also opened a case with Paypal. I told Paypal as part of resolving the case through their website that I didn't ship the item and I thought it should be a simple case where they could just refund the buyer with the funds that I had received. Instead, it dragged out for more than a month and in the end, the Paypal case was closed with the funds being released to my account...for an item I never shipped!!

I tried looking around online for someone else in a similar situation but no luck there. I have half a mind to call Paypal and ask that they take the money, because it doesn't seem like it should be mine to keep. Does anyone know why this would have happened? Is it appropriate for me to keep the money? Maybe someone who knows Paypal or credit card companies better may be able to shed some light onto this.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all as it's PayPal's decision and they rule enough cases as it is in the buyer's favour meaning that sellers often lose out. Think of it as a "bonus" as a time will likely come when you'll lose out and have to pay a chargeback fee on top. PayPal are greedy like eBay and deserve to lose now and again.

4 hours ago, TheBrickMeister said:

That is odd. I would take Tabby's advice. Remember the maxim, "no good deed goes unpunished." You win some, you lose some. Take this as a win.

5 hours ago, TheBrickMeister said:

I would keep it but leave it in your PP acct at least until after the 180 days and let it sit there that way if they want it back, they take it and not your funds. And after the 180 days it should be yours to keep. Keep in mind though PP has its own policy whether or not to screw you over even after the 180 days as well...