70657 - Ninjago City Docks

Val-E

26 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

$70 off doesn't necessarily mean $70 return. At least when I sell things.

If you can flip it locally, you can make out well.

Prices will end up hovering on eBay between $215 and $220 with free shipping as the quick flippers undercut one another.

$220 - (10% ebay + 2.9% Paypal + .30 paypal transaction fee) = $191.32

Shipping close to you will run ~$10. Across the country will be closer to ~$20

With a buy in of $160.99 plus tax in most states (we will go with 5%) that puts you at $169.04

Once you add in shipping you're at a less than $15 profit if you try to fight the horde.

Obviously the numbers are quite volatile, but this is a better buy for yourself than for profit at this point.

The good thing helping this is the fact that it's out of stock and on backorder at SaH, so there may be a small window if it is unavailable at retail. If it bounces back quick it will be a battle to make any real profit.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prices will end up hovering on eBay between $215 and $220 with free shipping as the quick flippers undercut one another.
With a buy in of $160.99 plus tax in most states (we will go with 5%) that puts you at $169.04
Once you add in shipping you're at a less than $15 profit if you try to fight the horde.
Obviously the numbers are quite volatile, but this is a better buy for yourself than for profit at this point.

The good thing helping this is the fact that it's out of stock at SaH, so there may be a small window if it is unavailable at retail. If it bounces back quick it will be a battle to make any real profit.

This is exactly why I just bought one for me and my daughter to build. We’ve been waiting for this to release and add to Ninjago City since I saw it on the shelf in Legoland Billund in May. I planned on waiting for a good SAH promo to buy it, but this deal was way better.

I also got to use a 10% off coupon that I had received when picking up a Site-To-Store order, so my buy in was $145 or so before tax. The coupon was good for up to $200 in spend, so I added on a Ninjago Throne Room 70651 priced at $15.99 (20% off) and a Cloud-Rider Swoop Bikes set 75215 priced at $23.99 (also 20% off). Total for all three after tax was $193.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

The good thing helping this is the fact that it's out of stock at SaH, so there may be a small window if it is unavailable at retail. If it bounces back quick it will be a battle to make any real profit.

This is how I evaluate it, also.  My local market is not great.  There are some collectors/buyers but mostly parents buying for kids, and they're usually not willing to pay a pretty price.  That pushes me to eBay where those fees between eBay/PayPal just eat the margins alive, especially big sets with shipping.  I'm focusing on mostly small sets with some medium sets thrown in there.

3 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

This is how I evaluate it, also.  My local market is not great.  There are some collectors/buyers but mostly parents buying for kids, and they're usually not willing to pay a pretty price.  That pushes me to eBay where those fees between eBay/PayPal just eat the margins alive, especially big sets with shipping.  I'm focusing on mostly small sets with some medium sets thrown in there.

You have pretty neat cut down of the costs.. it seems that PayPal charges different fees to US and EU customers - in EU its 3.5 % not just 2.9 %.. PLUS.. what irritates me at most.. eBay adds to its "cut" also Value Added Tax 21 % (in my case) !! so if you are to pay 10 USD to ebay in fees, you will pay additional 1.90 - 2.10 USD regarding your tax residence. I figured out, that if you count in all the ebay fees, VAT surplus, PayPal fees + exchange rate conversion loss .. I am looking at 20 PERCENT CUT for these two entities.. It absolutely stopped making any sense to sell massively on ebay.. 

29 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

Yes my three are out for delivery today. Waiting with bated breath to see how smashed they are. 

I've been pleasantly surprised with Walmarts packing skills as of late.  I haven't been buying many big sets, but they definitely do much better than Amazon.

• Like 1

my three arrived yesterday afternoon. have  yet to crack the box open but the outside is in perfect shape so no reason to think the inside won't be the same. am curious to see if they're in OG shippers or not, all three came together in one walmart box.  

ETA: they weren't in original shippers but they're all in near mint condition. unfortunately i think i found a fellow brickpicker/QFLL on facebook marketplace within 15 miles of me as sombody just posted theirs for $200.  

Edited by calmdahn

• 2 years later...