Your investing moves of 2017 - the good and bad

Good decisions: 

-transitioning to mostly FBA

-buying/selling less SKUs, but more copies of each

-ignoring recent conventional wisdom and arm sweeping City, Friends and Ninjago while mostly ignoring Star Wars and Super Heroes

-Elves

Poor Decisions:

-continuing to buy CMF by the box with only modest discounts (still have tons of every set going back to monsters, few go for over MSRP even years later, Simpsons are finally starting to sell on BL)

-trying to hit quick flip windows for WON, Saturn and a handful of others

• Like 2

Wins -

deciding to go deep on Scooby Mystery Planes at the last minute when I could get them for £9 each.

Backing TBBT when everyone else was deep in Dr Who.

Hailfire Droids, Star Wars set that flew under radar but is double RRP now.

Titanium dragons £17 buy in, in fact most Ninjago i bought did well.

All Series 1 speed champions, don't expect this year's retirees to do aswell though. 

Losers

75150 same reason as everyone else.  Cheap buy in and short shelf life looked good but it still won't die and there's a better a-wing now

75087 Anakins Custom Jedi Starfighter. These still keep popping up discounted on Argos eBay site. Thought Argos exclusive plus being Jedi ship gave this one potential.

Small sets - Microfighters, mighty micros, city sub £8, battle packs etc. Boxes too easily damaged and take a long time to get into the £20+ range that would make them worthwhile. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

-ignoring recent conventional wisdom and arm sweeping City, Friends and Ninjago while mostly ignoring Star Wars and Super Heroes

It's funny because over the last 12 months I've seen a lot of people talk about this directly or imply it with what they're purchasing. 

Also, don't sleep on Super Heroes.  I feel like there have been a good amount of winners from that theme for the 2016/2017 retirements - Jokerland, Batboat, Gorilla Grodd, Avengers Tower, Hydra Showdown, Carnage Attack, etc.  Pretty much all of the Juniors Super Heroes sets have been or will be winners.  Ghost Rider and Spider-man Bridge Battle seem like slam dunks.

5 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

5 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

It's funny because over the last 12 months I've seen a lot of people talk about this directly or imply it with what they're purchasing. 

Image result for if every impulse seinfeld

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Also, don't sleep on Super Heroes.  I feel like there have been a good amount of winners from that theme for the 2016/2017 retirements - Jokerland, Batboat, Gorilla Grodd, Avengers Tower, Hydra Showdown, Carnage Attack, etc.  Pretty much all of the Juniors Super Heroes sets have been or will be winners.  Ghost Rider and Spider-man Bridge Battle seem like slam dunks.

The only way I've won on Superheroes has been by accident.  Buy at 60%+ off and then get lucky when something materializes.

• Like 1

Winner:  60073 Porta-Potty Truck - sold through ~20 @ 48, average buy in ~$12

Loser: 76013 Joker Steam Roller - don't be suckered by 70% off MSRP on a dog of a set.  I won't lose money in the end, but it was a waste of time and capital.

Best Business Decision: FBM/SFP not FBA.  I know this is contrarian, but you control your own destiny about packing quality and delivery options.  Limit SFP to Zone 1-4 and the shipping cost of an item is roughly equivalent to the FBA charge + the inbound to FC charge.   This may not hold up in 2018 as AMZ moves to 1-Day standard shipping, but we'll see.

Winners - JW, Wall-e, Ecto 1 (yes, this is not a typo); UNHQ; Hulkbuster; Tumbler (Again not a typo); Saturn V and London Bus quick flip; UCS MF Leicester Sq launch

Losers: Darth Vader; Dr Strange; Rebel Combat Frigate (only 2 though and at 30% off thankfully); Pet Shop (luckily only 2 for investment); Wedding Favour; Batman CMF

Drain on profits but completely worth it: a number of SW MOCs including Mirko U-Wing; Docking Bay 327; UCS AT-AT; Renegade Clone Rogue One; Anio Venator

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KShine said:

I can't recall - How many did he have?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 7:35 PM, terrymc4677 said:

Target clearance. No dice on 50% off steam rollers in my area...yet. I've already got 27 at $35, but would like 50-70. They are out there but I'm waiting for the price to drop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

Is Vader 75111 really such a bust for everyone? I got mine at £8 each. Pretty sure lots of others did too. Got to be some money in that? Yes the remake is coming by that's RRP £35. Got to be those who will want the old one for say £15-20?

You´ll be working harder for your money than Guns n Roses have been recently.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

Is Vader 75111 really such a bust for everyone? I got mine at £8 each. Pretty sure lots of others did too. Got to be some money in that? Yes the remake is coming by that's RRP £35. Got to be those who will want the old one for say £15-20?

I managed to get rid of mine for £25 each before Xmas.

I think the problem is that people saw this as a potential Constraction winner. With it being Vader and wave 1

Best move: Catching the window to sell the GBH at 100 (x5) a piece was probably the best call. I even sent back to the US (from France) for this. Thanks to all the BPers out there for pointing this out. I don't think I would have seen this otherwise. 

Worst move: Stubbornly, I keep thinking Poe's X-wing is going to retire and keep buying them anytime I see them around 40 euros. I tried to offload a couple for the holidays and couldn't even move them at 50. Egh.

• Like 1

Best: Jurassic World, Scooby Doo, Lighthouse Siege, holding Revan polybags that came free with any purchase last year.

Worst: Thinking the demand for Saturn V would cause the set to be sold out for a longer time and sell at Xmas.

Overall bad trend: overthinking and not trusting myself for certain sets, for ex: had a chance to get tons of Lighthouse Siege from B&N for <30 and I only got a couple ?

Overall good trend: learning to find better deals and enjoying investing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KShine said:

I can't recall - How many did he have?

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Oh, almost as many as he does Rey's Speeder.  Another winner... (50'ish)

Started with 52. I'm down to 30. Local Facebook sales have been a decent platform to move these on, granted I'm only making $5-$10 on each one. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

I had 22 of these and sold them all to one person on Bricklink. Obviously another reseller, but I made about $10 on each one and was glad to move them with the new version coming soon (which is a better figure in my opinion). I thought it was odd that someone was still confident in 75111 and bought me out.

4 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

I had 22 of these and sold them all to one person on Bricklink. Obviously another reseller, but I made about $10 on each one and was glad to move them with the new version coming soon (which is a better figure in my opinion). I thought it was odd that someone was still confident in 75111 and bought me out.

I´m waiting for the next person to reply to this thread saying they regret buying too many 75111´s off Bricklink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1