Ideas #020: 21313/92177 - Ship In a Bottle

Alpinemaps

On 11/01/2018 at 11:44 AM, TabbyBoy said:

This set is such a disappointment that it will be produced in limited quantities, will have a short run and reach 2xRRP within a year of EOL, a no-brainer buy.

Inclined to agree. It's not nearly as nice looking as the idea submitted buuuuut it's got future desirability all over it if it's a limited run.

11 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

That ship just sucks compared to the original. It's hideous. Nearly everything has been taken down a notch for the real version. Junk.

I absolutely agree.  But the bottle was larger in the original as well and it was set on a corner, meaning the ship had more room.  The whole presentation is just... underwhelming.  And for $70 US?  *sigh*  I was so looking forward to this set but not anymore.  Maybe get this on a discount and then figure out how to build the original ship and bottle.

Guest TabbyBoy

It still looks better than the Silent Mary ;-) I don't think LEGO have done too badly to bring it down to a sensible price. It could still be a turkey gem if bought at >30% off.

I think each version has its pros and cons. My main issue is that fans voted on one version of the set. I don't think people just voted on the idea of a ship in a bottle. When they do things like this and they don't sell as well as they want, they'll just blame fans for voting on something they didn't really want to buy instead of realizing that they materially changed what people said they were interested in having. 

• Like 5

I think the costing issue is makes sense and part of the reason they had to go this route. Regardless of brick type, it has the third largest brick count of the Ideas sets. Lego assuredly had to make business decisions with the quantity/cost of bricks and while also sticking to the general, common Lego design aesthetic. This new ship is definitely more "Lego production quality/standard" than the proposed design. While intricate in details, I am unsure how the original ship would hold up with maneuvering and adjusting.

Granted I haven't build the new set yet, but I really like how it turned out and it IS a clever idea. The side-by-side comparison also helps show that Lego almost HAD to cut corners to reduce piece count, size and cost, especially if there are already complaints about the high cost in Europe. However, combined with a high price, a design that doesn't bode well with fans isn't going to have the best outlook.

The price argument is a weak one IMO.  Maybe there is piece and/or design issues, but charge another $20 and deliver a better set.  $70...$80...$90...What's the difference? (Don't say $10 or $20...LOL).  This set is not designed for kids IMO.  It's another set designed for adults, who have the money to buy the  more intricate set.  

• Like 4

The price argument is a weak one IMO.  Maybe there is piece and/or design issues, but charge another $20 and deliver a better set.  $70...$80...$90...What's the difference? (Don't say $10 or $20...LOL).  This set is not designed for kids IMO.  It's another set designed for adults, who have the money to buy the  more intricate set.  

Push the price too high and you risk cannibalizing sales of higher priced adult oriented sets.

I think the new set looks just fine. The original boat was pretty slick, but not sure it was using legit building techniques at that scale (maybe it was?) and the rigging sure doesn’t look like typical rope pieces, too thin. The stand and bottle are huge improvements. You can’t win them all..

the orginal ship looks better to me but the LEGO bottle looks way better.   If you make the ship bigger the bottle has to be bigger and doesn't seem to look as real and accurate.

The focus really isn't the ship in this set anyways and more the whole package as a dipslay piece.  For a little ship (the only part I did so far) it was a pretty neat little build.

• Like 5

the orginal ship looks better to me but the LEGO bottle looks way better.   If you make the ship bigger the bottle has to be bigger and doesn't seem to look as real and accurate.
The focus really isn't the ship in this set anyways and more the whole package as a dipslay piece.  For a little ship (the only part I did so far) it was a pretty neat little build.

Have I told you lately that I hate you? ;)
  • Like 2

Ok guys, so I got a little more insight into this whole design.  I went to the Signing event at the lego store in Salt Lake City, and had a chance to ask some question of the designer.  (On top of getting my box signed.)

I asked him why they nerfed it so much, and he said that his own design has some flaws and was extremely fragile, and had some seams that wouldn't work for stability purposes.  He also admitted that there were some illegal techniques he used in his submission.  So it started to make a little more sense why it's a bit different. 

So take it as you will, but this is coming directly from the Sadovich himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #020: 21313/92177 - Ship In a Bottle