75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

14 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Um... holy cold sales batman.  An entire year has gone by and they're still moving first-run product or am I misreading the product code?

that really has nothing to do with it.  Disney Castle had the same seal codes for a long time as the initial batch was huge even though it kept selling out.  

Sometimes the initial batch is just very big to get through the year or whatever timeframe needed until they would make more again.

23 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

that really has nothing to do with it.  Disney Castle had the same seal codes for a long time as the initial batch was huge even though it kept selling out.  

Sometimes the initial batch is just very big to get through the year or whatever timeframe needed until they would make more again.

Thank you for the education.  I hear you that initial production runs can be large, but only three weeks between a set sold a year ago and recently doesn't seem good to me. 

Does LEGO ever divulge how large a production run is for like a UCS type set?  For instance, LEGO sold out of the UCS MF and was backordered through January.  But the new UCS ISD is still available, in the USA anyway.

17 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Thank you for the education.  I hear you that initial production runs can be large, but only three weeks between a set sold a year ago and recently doesn't seem good to me. 

Does LEGO ever divulge how large a production run is for like a UCS type set?  For instance, LEGO sold out of the UCS MF and was backordered through January.  But the new UCS ISD is still available, in the USA anyway.

yeah you never know how big or small they are.  Last few years though they do seem to be large enough to cover initial release and then go through the year without needing to be replenished.   Some of it is just purposely done too.  Using the Castle as example they were fairly short early on yet the ones later on released had the same seals from early on so they were sitting somewhere.  

Central Perk on the other hand is oos until about mid October.  One of the first ones in awhile they misjudged and didn't have enough to meet demands. Although I think everyone pretty much misjudged what it would do.  

Everything since probably the MF has been well stocked at initial release and most likely will be going forward unless one slips through the cracks.  Every since China went online it's been hard to see any stock out at the beginning versus the exact opposite beforehand where almost everything stocked out.  

ISD was very slow in store off the get go.  Most stores got 24-30 and first hour sales were in the 4-8 range at most.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, exracer327 said:

I'm actually hoping for a Black Friday sale on this.  Only one though for a personal build.

I am surprised we haven't seen a better sale than the ~18% off it has been for a while. With the price drops of Ninjago City/Docks, Carousel, Hulkbuster, Y-Wing, etc. it seems like many of the soon to be retired sets have seen sales of at least 25-30%. Not to mention it sounds like 75222 is a slower seller/ is way more overpriced than those. If a fantastic set like Ninj City can see a $70 reduction this one should be around $120. I am waiting for a better price, hopefully $230-250 at some point. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I've just been browsing and noticed the prices for some of the minifigures in this set. Absolute madness! The Lando figure seems to be into three figures already, Boba Fett isn't too far behind, and Leia & Han each have figures around the £50 mark. How has this happened for a set that's only been gone for 2 years and was fairly easy to get at a discount? What kind of basket case passed on the entire set for £200 or so but is willing to pay over £100 for a single minifig? I'm also struggling to see how the entire set BNIB is £450 or so, yet that barely seems higher than the value of the figures alone.

I don't understand Lego collectors sometimes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm also struggling to see how the entire set BNIB is £450 or so, yet that barely seems higher than the value of the figures alone.

I don't understand Lego collectors sometimes...

Lego is about building, construction, engineering, creativity.  Minifigs are just accessories.  They add "playability", life and scale to models but that is all their role should be.  In the past 20 years or so they have become much more important than they have any right to be.  Sets that are built around the minifigs alone are worthless to me.

Cloud City didn't sell well because it looked incomplete and a challenge to display.  Too many components went to the underside and support and are not visible to make the set worth the $350 price tag to the average minifig collector.  Again the emphasis was put on the minfigs so that is why it's so popular with that group of collectors in the aftermarket.

Edited by Mathew