75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Aup27 said:

I'm thinking they should have just done a UCS Cantina and called it a day. 

I think they should call it a day with the entire Star Wars theme. It's lost its lustre and there's hardly any keen interest in it anymore. As for making any decent money reselling, you can forget it. If there's any theme that's got boring and long in the tooth, it has to be Star Wars. C'mon LEGO, put both halves your brain cells together and give us something new and exciting. You've done it before a lot of times, what went wrong?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Clintonjoseph said:

i’d rather have 4 $50-$60 sets that connect together.

That's a better idea and make one exclusive and rarer so that it's collectable.

You aren’t alone. I’m very surprised LEGO hasn’t explored this yet. They could design a modular set with a solid core/base and sell future expansion packs/sets to enhance the build. But maybe Jabba/ Rancor spoiled that idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the set. But in my personal opinion it seem WAY OVERPRICED! This should have been a $249 set tops! $299.99 would have been really pushing it. But at $349.99 it seems a rip off.

I now really don't feel bad for paying $399.99 for the Death Star 10188. I just feel betrayed by this set in terms of piece count and price. Sad to see LEGO designers lacking creative judgement.

45 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

You aren’t alone. I’m very surprised LEGO hasn’t explored this yet. They could design a modular set with a solid core/base and sell future expansion packs/sets to enhance the build. But maybe Jabba/ Rancor spoiled that idea?

They already are with the Hogwarts Grand Hall and Whomping Willow sets. Rumor has a Diagon Alley coming next year, probably around $200. Maybe this is a precursor to come. I believe if this holds up, then why wouldn't they do the same for Star Wars when they decide to, again, rehash sets.

A lot of hate on this set so far. 

We knew this was always going to be a big playset.  Cloud City/Bespin is just a tough design to truly capture in LEGO form.  It blows the original version out of the water and people are willing to pay $1,000+ plus on that one.  Personally, I think this new version is great, but I have always liked LEGO playsets anyway...Yeah, it is pricey...but all LEGO is pricey.

The minifigures are outstanding...especially digging that Luke and Leia

• Like 3

3 hours ago, longshot said:

Thanks for the link!

sooo... they are calling it “the master Builder series” with UCS looking packaging...hmmmmmmMMmmm

I suppose if you compare this set to the original it’s a leap forward... but ENOUGH with the StickerS Already!! I have yet to meet a kid who 

built a play set like this  to react like ...”ooooOOoo nice StickerS!... I wish there were more!”

Yeah it woulda been nice to get a UCS cloud city but the fact is the actual Moc everyone OoGles over never got 10,000 supporters anyways... so why is that? I’ll never know, but surely I would have shelled big bucks for it.

i think this playset May be a nice “starter buy” to get the Awsome figures and some cloud city stuff to make our own Mocs to display...but I agree that the $350 price tag is just another Disney price hike for TLG to deal with the best way they know how. 

So many high dollar sets this year, I’m actually relieved this set is only $350-lol...as I was expecting to shell out another $1000 for a great AFOL set!.. So I guess this “master builders series” is what we get, and I’ll just be greatful, but for the Love of GoD- enough with the StickerS! Geeezus! Lol 

463B51F5-CD4C-40DA-AD56-B00666186D6B.jpeg

Was hoping to see something more like the Helicarrier.  Micro scale exterior that opens up revealing various minifig scale dioramas. This is another half baked set similar to Assault on Hoth. It’s better than that set but not good enough at the$350 price point. And as a play set I don’t think it will be very stable enough for kids. Missed opportunity. 

I like this set, but I have always been a fan of playsets since the original Kenner Toys. Come on people who would let their 5-10 year old play with their UCS Slave 1, Millennium Falcon, etc.. NOT ME!!

Pros: Great selection of figures, vehicles look great and they benefit from the new parts. The designer definitely did their homework to get all the primary scenes in.

Cons: PRICE!!! But what Star Wars Toy Line is cheap?? Lego, Hasbro, Hot Wheels, Hot Toys are all expensive.

My verdict is that

any kid including my own would love this set that are into Star Wars. I’m going to buy the set during double VIP Points Events plus promotion.

Could it have been bigger, more detailed, a nice roof top, yes.. I am just glad that Lego made it.

Not to keep piling on this set, but they tried to cram too much into it.  1/4 of the set will only appeal to AFOL (the lounge areas and entrances).  Too many pieces devoted to the platform of the set.  Kids will be bored building these sections.  Lego got the ships right for this scale.  The minifigs look great.  I think if they put together a $150 set that focused on the landing bay (Slave 1), Carbon Freezing chamber maybe with a little concourse in the middle then it'd be an easy winner.

Edited by Mathew

LEGO is promoting the "Master Builder Series" name because a set like this is no ultimate collectible.  My main issue besides the awful box art is the scale of the set.  They should have made it work with the 75060 Slave 1 and left out the inadequate Slave I version in this set and put the extra parts towards the structure.  They could have made entire design larger and sold a separate Cloud Car.  I understand what LEGO was trying to accomplish here, but they cheesed out and instead of an iconic set, they got another set that displays poorly and will not generate the buzz that it could have.  

For almost $400, I want better than this...

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Clintonjoseph said:

I said that in another thread.  It's ironic that Assault on Hoth tried to combine all the smaller Hoth sets LEGO had been releasing and failed.  For Bespin they jumped directly to one big set with everything.  How cool would it have been if the Carbon Freezing Chamber would have connected to additional sets?   MOCers would have had a blast with those.

Unlike the DS, which everyone recognizes right away, this has no iconic look that says "Bespin."   If it had plates which folded up like the MF (75105), then it could be a cool display set which opens to be a play set.  At least it has better minifigures than AoH.  

The price is sadly about the same as the (Disney) DS price tag... around $0.125 US / piece.

• Like 1