75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Box Dimensions: 59.8 cm x 49.9 cm x 26.5 cm. This seems to be a totally new box shape.

Article on Brick Fan almost confirming that 75222 is UCS Cloud City, so if any mod feels like changing the thread title.....

Done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Box Dimensions: 59.8 cm x 49.9 cm x 26.5 cm. This seems to be a totally new box shape.

Article on Brick Fan almost confirming that 75222 is UCS Cloud City, so if any mod feels like changing the thread title.....

How does this compare to a Death Star box or MF 75192 box?  I guess, in the pantheon of boxes, what are we looking at here?

• 3 months later...

75222 Betrayal at Cloud City, 2,812 pieces
US $349.99 – CA $399.99 – DE 349.99€ – UK £299.99 – FR 349.99€ – DK 2999DK
Available from 13th September for VIPs, 1st October everyone else.

Visit Bespin’s amazing metropolis in the sky—Cloud City!

Relive a world of unforgettable moments from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or add your own fun twists to the story with this LEGO Star Wars 75222 Betrayal at Cloud City set. The amazingly detailed set is divided into 4 sections, each depicting scenes from the classic movie.

There’s a landing platform complete with Boba Fett’s Slave I ship, a detailed promenade, a dining room with seating for 5 minifigures, a garbage processing room with incinerator, and a sensor balcony for epic Luke vs. Vader Lightsaber duels.

There’s also a carbon freeze chamber with a function to ‘freeze’ Han in carbonite, an interrogation chamber and prison cell, a secondary landing platform for the Twin-Pod Cloud Car, and so much more.

Add an astonishing 18 LEGO minifigures plus 2 droids to the mix, and you have a set that Star Wars and LEGO fans of any age would be proud to add to their collection.

• Includes 18 minifigures: Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker in Bespin outfits, Chewbacca, C-3PO, Lando Calrissian, Lobot, 2 Cloud City Guards, 2 Cloud Car Pilots, Leia and Han in Hoth outfits, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, 2 Stormtroopers and an Ugnaught, plus R2-D2 and an IG-88 droid.
  • Section 1 features a landing platform with a sliding entrance door and Boba Fett’s Slave I ship with an opening minifigure cockpit, movable wings and space underneath to store the Han in carbonite element.
  • Section 2 features a dining room with a table, seats for 5 minifigures and a decorative Cloud City micro build; lounge with a transparent sculpture and 2 chairs; garbage processing room with an incinerator, conveyor belt and a deactivated IG-class droid; and a promenade with tree sculpture, mural relief and opening doorways leading to other parts of the model.
  • Section 3 features a sensor balcony with railing and swing-out function, plus a maintenance cabin with opening round window for epic Lightsaber duels, plus a carbon freeze chamber with lever-activated ‘freeze’ function.
  • Section 4 features a dark-red corridor leading to the interrogation chamber with a turning interrogation chair, plus a prison cell, hangar with a secret trapdoor and tool & weapon rack, and space for the Twin-Pod Cloud Car with opening minifigure cockpits and 2 stud shooters.
  • New minifigure details include Leia’s red dress, Han’s Corellian blood stripe, Luke’s dark-tan Dagobah outfit, the Ugnaught’s head decoration and the cloud car pilots.
  • Weapons include Han’s blaster pistol, Chewbacca’s bowcaster, Luke’s Lightsaber, Vader’s Lightsaber, Boba Fett’s blaster rifle, IG-88’s blaster rifle, 5 blaster pistols and 4 blasters.
  • Accessory elements include a wrench, handcuffs and Lobot’s cybernetic band.
  • Stage air-to-air battles between Boba Fett’s Slave I and the Twin-Pod Cloud Car.
  • Pull the carbon freeze chamber lever to pretend freeze Han in carbonite!
  • Relive unforgettable scenes from the classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back movie.
  • This amazing set is part of the LEGO Star Wars Master Builder Series.
  • Cloud City measures over 6” (16cm) high, 22” (58cm) wide and 22” (56cm) deep.
  • Slave I measures over 4” (11cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 7” (18cm) wide.

75222_Box1_v39.jpg

75222_Box5_v39.jpg

• Like 3

Completely and utterly underwhelming, disappointing and the box art is a joke. It looks like made by 5yr old MOC rather than Ultimate Collector Series build.
It looks like fan made build, it lacks the details and looks half arsed to me. Even the box graphic design looks terrible which they usualy nailed in that department.

I predict Assault on Hoth success all over again.

• Like 4

This at least has some scenes that would never make it into one of those $30-$80 playsets. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either.  My complaint gets at what eliminator said that, unlike DS, this doesn't have a recognizable Cloud City shape good for display, which makes the choice to do a roughly circular or octagonal set strange. The landing pad quadrant takes up a lot of space and the tradeoff seems to be that other interior rooms end up too small.  If the quadrants are modular, maybe people can MOC bigger interiors.  It would have been better stacked with things happening on different levels. The Luke/Vader "I am your father" scene on the same level as where Luke was swinging at flying stuff and flew out the window doesn't work for me.

Edited by hockeyweasel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, eliminator said:

Cool play-set for kids...but certainly not something I'd be proud to display.

For all those obsessed with the original CS, this is a fitting update. Lack of the UCS logo should tame the fire.

I agree.  They likely listened to fans about calling AoH a UCS set so came up with a new name for basically the same thing.

Kids will love the set.  I display my sets and this one isn't really a display set, it is more of a play set which kids will love......if their parents buy it.

I personally think this will not do well.  Adults don't like it and it is too expensive for parents.

Edited by lego rules
  • Like 2

I can totally see younger me having a blast playing with this set, looks really fun.

Not something i'd want to display though, but whatever, i think it will achieve it's goal of a playset for the youngins. At least with this set you get all the proper figures/vehicles to re-enact the scenes, unlike AOH....

After looking at the pictures on Shop@Home

Figures are amazing.  Han has dual molded, side printed leg pieces.  Leia Bespin outfit is amazing.  New Lando, boom. 

Displayability, however, is severely lacking.  The Cloud City shape is not there, it's more of a beefed up 10123 than a DS 10188, and for $350, we should get more than that.

I'm bummed, this really went from a Day 1 purchase to a maybe purchase.  I display UCS sets from Star Wars and I'm not displaying this, nobody would even know what it was without getting up close and checking out what was going on.  They know what the UCS MF is from 20 feet away.  

At the very least, I'll pick up the figures, or buy the set and part it out when there is a good giveaway going on.  

• Like 1