75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

Sad, just sad. Looks like a floor taken from the Death Star, very limited display ability, too expensive for what you get.

I’m a big Star Wars fan and an AFOL, but this totally falls short of the mark for me... now I see WHY they kept it a secret so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

• Like 2

The price point feels insane compared to other comparable sets, even those in the Star Wars premium price point family.

I can see people arguing if the set DIDN"T come with a Slave I, so I get it, but the compromise to midi scale for both vehicles seems weird.

I guess I like the midi scale vehicles better than the Darth Tie that comes with the Death Star. that one seemed truly pointless. They might as well have just gone micro scale for that set in the hanger.

Lots of necessary compromises, and its for sure 'fun' for kids. But I won't be rushing to get it certainly. The price is just such a put off.

LOL. It's definitely a.... set. That much can be said...

Kids will like it for it's playability but wont be able to afford it, and doubtful many parents will buy it for them...

Parents/adults want to display something pleasing to the eye... This is not.

I'm underwhelmed but not surprised.

• Like 2

Meh...that's the first thought that popped into my head. I'm not a playset kind of collector. I hated the Deathstar, so I'm not surprised that I don't like this either. My thoughts:

Pros: I do like how they included a lot of the big scenes from ESB. Bespin Leia is amazing. Han's side leg printing is awesome. Is this the first shooting-style bowcaster for Chewie? Not as bad as AOH. 

Cons: Looks too much like Deathstar, but that's just my personal distaste. The Star Wars tax is ridonculous for this set! Ugh. Box art is god-awful. 

Edited by oneknightr

Curious who LEGO think is the target market for this set.  It does not look like "display on your CEO's desk" type of set.  It is basically just a LEGO diorama. Maybe it needs some kind of dome over it to make it looks like Bespin??

It has several play features, but for $350, is it really for kids?  How many young kids nowadays appreaciate ESB and actually want to buy a set based on Bespin? Err, how many kids actually know what Bespin is???

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Betrayal-at-Cloud-City-75222

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I saw the forum title, I thought it was something somebody made up kind of like "Insult on Hoth". Then I realized that it was the actual set name. Then I realized it was an accurate name. It should be changed to Betrayal OF Cloud City though. I agree with most of the criticisms above... there is little to no display value, they seem to have put too much emphasis on the landing pad, etc. 

Everything is way too scrunched together. For 350 bucks there should have at least been 2 levels. I think the biggest disappointment is the Luke/Vader duel area. Possibly the most iconic scene gets hit with a tiny little section added onto the other side of the carbon freeze chamber? Yikes. 

The sensible thing to do would have been to make something like this with two levels and some sort of side plates that could be either moved or hinged down so that it would actually LOOK LIKE cloud city from the outside. I'm sure there are many mocs that executed this well. I'm anxious to see the set weight. To me, it looks like it will weigh about what Ewok Village weighed. But $100 more expensive. The only thing that keeps my interest is the fact that I will never get 10123, so I would consider this at some sort of discount like AOH saw several times over it's unsuccessful life.

Price is too high.  I don't hate the set, but I do hate the layout.  The LEGO Shop at Home site lists this as 22"x22" and something this size is hard to throw on a shelf and get down to play with.  A linear or more modular layout would at least offer some storage options.  That won't be a problem for me though since this will be a pass unless there is a good sale.

I'm not sure if they made a display type of set that I would automatically recognize it as Cloud City.

That Leia figure is nice though.

• Like 1