75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

Imo think they should of made it like ewok village off the ground on some type of platforms all connected to give it the sense that its in the air. They should of made the landing pad to fit the ucs slave 1 the minifigures are cool maybe you can use them as pillers to hold the model in the air lol. Just wish TLG would start making more modular type sets that you build up into a complete model instead of charging say £300 for 1 set they could split that up into smaller sets like they do with them magazines. Release a new set or few each week or month desinged to be collected and connected to build a massive model not saying they shouldn't make big exclusive sets just might be a new way of releasing a big set and could focus more on detail for each section of the model. I know they do it with some sets but they should focus on doing it more on the Sw theme sets.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 7:47 AM, Ed Mack said:

The old 10188 Death Star was a wonderful play set, but it also displayed well.  This set will not make it to most geek's offices or dens as a display piece.  

The DS has a very iconic look.  It takes someone a matter of seconds to recognize it is the DS.  75222 says nothing about Bespin.  Someone has to look at several if not all of the rooms to see that it is Bespin.

Like several of us have said, if they had raised it up and given it a folding lid, similar to the smaller MF sets, then it would be a displayable playset.  Right now, it's just a playset with pretty good minifigures.  Although how do you supply only one Ugnaught?  Just saying.  

I would modify it this way:  Several clear bricks beneath it to raise it up.  (An inch or so would do, just enough to add a solid cone shape in the middle bottom).  Then double-hinged cover plates similar to the MF sets.  Double hinged because they would be too large to fold out with just one hinge.  So you'd have to fold them twice. (Would three fold be even better?)  At this price point, what would it take to add about another 100 pieces to this set?  Clear bricks, some slopes for the cone shape underneath, angled plates, and hinges.  If the price becomes right, like AoH @ 40% off, I might pick it up and try to mod it.  By the time that happens, plenty of other people will have already done some great MOC work with this set to make it look more iconic.  But that is the sad part, the fans will have to finish this set to make it look iconic.  Even as cool as the minifigures are, I think I can save my money for something more in alignment with my preferences.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 4:29 PM, oneknightr said:

Funny she said that. I found this on Facebook yesterday as somone's opinion on what this new set reminded them of. haha

Cloud City1.jpg

Maybe utterly out of place, but that red/orange twister reminds me of Wizard of Oz storm.. :)

Edited by crayxlp
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TigerEyez said:

Will this be a LEGO Shop at Home exclusive or will we maybe to get it 50% of Walmart in like 4 months?

I'm wondering if this set will go the same route as AoH.  It does have better minifigures and the rooms look good.  Over all I think it is a better set than AoH, except that it lacks that iconic Bespin look and has wimpy examples of ships.  Unfortunately, it still suffers from the primary problem as AoH - it's a play set, not a UCS type set and it's $100 more expensive than AoH.  Opening day VIP sales will be telling.

Jumping onto this thread late, but nobody pointed out the skimping out on the minifigures? One Ugnaught is a joke, no Ice Cream Man, no whatever droids they put in that C3PO disassembly room? Although all the individual scenes are very nice to look at and the Slave I is decent, I'll give them that.

• Like 1

It is unbelievable how excited everyone is that this is now available to purchase if you happen to be a VIP.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Betrayal-at-Cloud-City-75222?icmp=HP-SHM-DPC-SW-cloudc-1013

Amazing how the Leias my daughter wants always show up in the most expensive sets.  I do have one ordered.

When I get it I will make sure the thread has some energy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2018 at 10:52 PM, CLMF said:

Jumping onto this thread late, but nobody pointed out the skimping out on the minifigures? One Ugnaught is a joke, no Ice Cream Man, no whatever droids they put in that C3PO disassembly room? Although all the individual scenes are very nice to look at and the Slave I is decent, I'll give them that.

It does have IG-88B who was killed by Fett on Cloud City. You can see his carcass in the incinerator room.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Shewie said:

Review is here.
Michał (Mike) confirms pretty much our initial expectations in this video.
He rates it 8 turds out of 10.
Ass ault on hoth all over again

From the angle of the thumbnail it looks much more symmetrical and better than the box art, in my opinion. EDIT: don;'t know how to quote

Once opon a time many Vip points away....a New hope of a new cloud city set teased and encouraged many of us to look forward to

spending those Vip points we’ve been hording since the 75192. 

Let’s not underplay this, after all there’s was a lot to look forward since the 10123 release 15 Years ago and now the wait is over although 

I knew without actually seeing the set when I heard the pricepoint that somthing happened mid development and that the budget was most likely cut in half to get what they call the “betrayal at cloud city”...or as I like to call a really nice set to cater to an elite small market of wealthy parents that want to spoil and reward their Young ones this Christmas.

Hands down ...its a great play set but no AFOL is gonna feel good about pulling the trigger on this and that’s the target market when you price stuff over $350- just my opinion though, but I tried to look for a silver lining in this set and there are some but only in a few minifigures and as far as I can see no effort was spent on ANY new molded pieces nor ANY new Printed Pieces that may have catored to Some Great Cloud City Mocs. (If anyone has bought this set noticed any of these things I can’t see please share cause all I see are stickers that fade and fall off later)

Minifigures of intest that wowed me were the Han Solo fig, Lando, luke, Cloud Car pilots, and bits of the Leia fig

minifig most dissaponted in was Leia...from what I can see there is large quality issue with her torso color based on 

what is advertised on the Lego web Site, and why did she not get a cloud city hairpiece with the braids? All I can say if any body else 

is put off by this pick up a Leia from goldleader set 9495, that hairpiece is nicely updated from the old 10123. 

F8C857FF-54E3-4BF5-A08A-A233EA5D96C0.jpeg

356C5306-4B4A-4DC3-866A-65C3840CA9F6.jpeg

Edited by ChadWick1e46
Added Luke
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, belljohn said:

Not sure why I am so enthused about this set.  I could never get myself you build the Death Star playset.

Death Star is overly gray.  Cloud City is of course much more colorful.  I like this set just fine except for the price.  I take issue with all the griping about it being a play set:  Who says that AFOLs don't like play sets?  I'm sorry but building a giant, gray shell of Cloud City would be boring.  Unfortunately this set was going to be compromised no matter what.  From a business standpoint I think they should have leaned more towards a $280 price point and eliminated the dining room and a few other details.  I really like the included vehicles though.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1