71021 - Minifigures - Series 18

Lordoflego

1 hour ago, CathyVT said:

So... when you say things like "male dressed as a blue unicorn" or "Blue Brick Girl", how do you KNOW the gender? The face on the minifig head? Just wondering...

LEGO has more defined their minifigure faces over the years and come a long way from the ever classic unisex smiley face. Back then the main way to make a difference between males and females was the hair and sometimes torsos but mostly it was the hair really. Now guys' faces can have chins and dimples while girls with eyelashes, beauty marks, and pronounced lips.

Anywho I am assuming the report Alpinemaps posted whose information was taken from Eurobricks which in turn took theirs from The Brick Show's news had seen certain facial features more feminine on some while masculine on the others.

I was just curious, because I am a woman with short hair, and sometimes I'll try to make a minifig kind of look like me, and it makes me ponder gender and hair and all that. I recently bought Treehouse Adventures (31053) and there are two children minifigs, and short hair, long hair, and a ball cap. I put the cap on the boy, and then put the short hair on the girl. But if you look at the faces, they are EXACTLY the same other than a tiny bit of extra eyelashes on the girl (no lips, both have freckles). So similar - and yet we identify one as boy and one as girl. I just find it interesting. I'm curious to see these CMF faces, and the official Lego descriptions.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, CathyVT said:

I was just curious, because I am a woman with short hair, and sometimes I'll try to make a minifig kind of look like me, and it makes me ponder gender and hair and all that. I recently bought Treehouse Adventures (31053) and there are two children minifigs, and short hair, long hair, and a ball cap. I put the cap on the boy, and then put the short hair on the girl. But if you look at the faces, they are EXACTLY the same other than a tiny bit of extra eyelashes on the girl (no lips, both have freckles). So similar - and yet we identify one as boy and one as girl. I just find it interesting. I'm curious to see these CMF faces, and the official Lego descriptions.

I see what you mean regarding the two included minifigures of the treehouse set there as an example. Their faces may very well be the same with the exception of slight single eyelashes and a closed smile on the one we identify as a girl's head. To add upon this while the one has exclusively been used on lady characters, the other has also been used for some females just as well and in those circumstances it was the hair styles and sometimes torso printings used to help determine gender.

LEGO's minifigures are comparably characterizations of regular people like that of a cartoon with certain features being more pronounced or done in certain ways simply because we interpret said features as such being representative of one type or another. Why these instinctual processes of cognizance are hard ingrained is a bit beyond me though I do remember having familiar discussions when studying art and animation relating to the subject of personification in particular.

As for making a minfigure look like oneself, well, I'm a guy with long hair usually as a ponytail but in LEGO form, the ponytail hairpiece on a guy's head just looks odd so I end up going with a short cut.

31 minutes ago, Poison Girl said:

I think this might be the first series where I get all of them

Ditto! Wow, just wow. I can only imagine this series will bring up the value of the older costumed figures as people will want to "complete" their collection of these. I don't this series will be a peg warmer like the recent series (Lego Batman included).

These are all absolutely brilliant. The nod to the very first Police set with the Officer is a nice touch, the brick couple is perfect, the birthday kids are adorable, the Balloon Artist Clown reminds me of the Mad Hatter character in general, Dragon Suit is awesome, and Cactus Girl is Cactaur from the Final Fantasy series more or less. Each series of Collectable Minifigures could always double as costumes for Halloween or themed parties and stores but it's interesting here to see deliberately designed costumed characters.

And oh yeah, Brony Knight for the win!

• Like 2

I can't say I care for any of the cop, either kid, and maybe not the clown, but the rest of this set is great.  So long as they don't massively overproduce this series, (as complete conjecture, I wonder if the significant number of large, unique pieces will limit production a bit) I think Series 18 will be gold in years to come.

29 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Really?  This again?  You're trying to make something out of nothing.  

I was just curious how they assign gender. Sorry I didn't put a smilie face at the end of my post to indicate that I wasn't totally up-in-arms about it. [eyeroll emoji]

And if you're going to say eyelashes=female, no eyelashes=male, then that cat person does look (from our limited image) to have eyelashes.

Hey, I'm not criticizing anyone, or TLG's decision to use "guy" and "girl", and it would be kinda dorky to say "cat person" (although the knight, clown, and cop don't indicate a gender) - I'm just curious. I guess I'll go ask my college classmate, Tara Wike, who is in charge of CMFs for Lego. (a woman - so I'm not saying TLG's decisions are sexist or anything - I'm just CURIOUS. Sheesh...)

Edited by CathyVT

6 minutes ago, CathyVT said:

I was just curious how they assign gender. Sorry I didn't put a smilie face at the end of my post to indicate that I wasn't totally up-in-arms about it. [eyeroll emoji]

And if you're going to say eyelashes=female, no eyelashes=male, then that cat person does look (from our limited image) to have eyelashes.

Hey, I'm not criticizing anyone, or TLG's decision to use "guy" and "girl", and it would be kinda dorky to say "cat person" (although the knight, clown, and cop don't indicate a gender) - I'm just curious. I guess I'll go ask my college classmate, Tara Wilke, who is in charge of CMFs for Lego. (a woman - so I'm not saying TLG's decisions are sexist or anything - I'm just CURIOUS. Sheesh...)

I think the gender was assigned by the website, not Lego. It looks like a female figure to me, due to the creation of hips on the torso.