maybe i don't have the stomach for this

calmdahn

If you weren't in before 2014 you're already too late. Get out unless LEGO investing is just using your "fun" money.  And since it isn't, you should ideally have a 3 month emergency fund and put the rest in index funds and sleep well and don't speculate on this when it's not worth it anymore.  There's 100 stories of difficulty never told for the 1 embellished story of 200% ROI, not to mention I've never seen 95% of the posters in this thread because so many people have quit in the last 3 years who had far better sets than available now or will be available in the future with less competition especially from knockoffs.  How many people were holding thousands in just Death Stars that got blindsided, other great sets have stagnated for 3 years.

Edited by JRandall

Seems like a lot of people in here don’t like the SH Girls and The Batman Movie themes even at 50%. SH Girls I understand but The Batman Movie is that bad also? I bought some Batwing, Clayface, Lena Luthor, Secret Bunker, Dorm, Eclipso Dark Palace, Scutter, and Killer Croc Sewer Smash. Return them?

I’d like the answer to this too. I’ve got plenty of DCSHG that I can keep or return until like 3/20/18

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

1 minute ago, calmdahn said:

I’d like the answer to this too. I’ve got plenty of DCSHG that I can keep or return until like 3/20/18

I'm returning my SH Girls sets this week/month few sets a time to not raise any eyebrows. Still thinking on the Batman Movie one's...seems hard to pass on 50% Batwings.

Edited by Lego_Monsters

On 1/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, calmdahn said:

went crazy at Target after xmas clearance and bought like $2k worth of inventory. now having buyer's remorse and afraid to hold on to everything long term. can anybody reassure me and/or buy everything from me lol? (not everything is pictured, some stuff i want to keep for personal use)

ebay lot.jpg

Just recommendation: Don't think investing in Lego will give you a fortune. You have to sell them to get the money and profit back. For most of us, it can be only like a hobby, it can't replace your job. It at most gives you extra cash to dine out some place nice. I have sold 700 sets but still have 1300 sets in inventory but I have stopped buying more. Yes, it is still reasonable return but it has declined since three years ago. Sometimes, I still have the urge of buying more "appear-to-be-profitable in the future" sets but I have killed my desire again and again not buying any because I don't know it worths my time anymore. I am kind of surprised that there are still lots of newcomers wanting to dive in collecting/investing in Lego. Is it some sort of fashion?

• Like 1

Just recommendation: Don't think investing in Lego will give you a fortune. You have to sell them to get the money and profit back. For most of us, it can be only like a hobby, it can't replace your job. It at most gives you extra cash to dine out some place nice. I have sold 700 sets but still have 1300 sets in inventory but I have stopped buying more. Yes, it is still reasonable return but it has declined since three years ago. Sometimes, I still have the urge of buying more "appear-to-be-profitable in the future" sets but I have killed my desire again and again not buying any because I don't know it worths my time anymore. I am kind of surprised that there are still lots of newcomers wanting to dive in collecting/investing in Lego. Is it some sort of fashion?

My only goal is to make enough to get 50% off the sets I want to keep.

3 hours ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Seems like a lot of people in here don’t like the SH Girls and The Batman Movie themes even at 50%. SH Girls I understand but The Batman Movie is that bad also? I bought some Batwing, Clayface, Lena Luthor, Secret Bunker, Dorm, Eclipso Dark Palace, Scutter, and Killer Croc Sewer Smash. Return them?

50% off is borderline. A few sets will make you good money but a lot will stagnate so the overall ROI will not be good. 60-70% off is a better proposition and not that hardd to get if you follow the US clearance threads. As said before, if the big stores can´t sell them - even marked down, what chance do you have?

Honestly, that's an issue if people are making uninformed purchases and going deep. I would do some more research on the sets you have, keep some that have the best chance of being profitable, and return the rest. It's humbling to do that, and it may make you more cautious as a buyer in the future.

• Like 2

To answer your questions about the LEGO Batman movie sets: some of the sets aren't bad, but there are just so many of them out there, at such a high discount. Interest in the movie is waning, yet LEGO continues to churn out new sets. All the while they keep churning out new Super Heroes sets in other lines. How many Batmans does a kid need? Once these retire, people will be sitting on large quantities of all of these sets, and what will the demand be? Will the kids of America suddenly NEED the Killer Croc Sewer Smash at a higher price when they can probably get Killer Croc elsewhere? Will adults NEED to complete their own collections of LEGO Batman movie sets? 

You've got a lot of outstanding advice so far, more so than a lot of new "pickers" usually get. Most everything I would say has been said. My best advice is to just have fun. I've been at it for 2 years now, so I can't comment on the "good ol' days", but with an established Bricklink store and an FBA account I make a good return, add to my own collection, and mostly importantly, I've been enjoying myself. Don't use money you can't afford to lose (or credit you can't afford to pay back). A lot of the FBA folks talk about what it would be like to get booted off of Amazon one day, but what isn't often discussed is the overall impact on the secondary market. If or when Amazon takes action against 3P sellers of LEGO on Amazon, it would damage the entire secondary market as all of those players (big and small) return to the other places like eBay to get rid of their stock. No reason to expect it, but the secondary market could in theory crash at any time. Until you are seeing reliable returns from your planned style of business, I would echo the advice of being very careful with what you buy and how much you spend (and certainly credit you use). 

Oh, and if you want to rely on the local markets like Fbook and Craigslist, you want to start figuring out your market quickly. Some folks have strong demand on local markets; others have very little demand. I've put some sets on Offerup here in my urban area at below market value, and my only interest over months came from what I think was probably a competitor checking in from time to time feigning interest to see if I had in fact ever managed to sell my sets...

• Like 1

Im shocked no one likes the SH girls.. Some of my best flips came from SH Girl sets. 70-80 ROI and they sold FAST.  as for OP. I wish i could find 50%+ off here in Canada. I would arm sweep every lego set I see If I got more then 50% off. It all comes down to what your comfort lvl is. If your ok with $500 then stop at 500. If you can hold onto 2K then good stop until you sell some. Then build up from your comfort lvl. Every set you sell allows you to go buy and replace it WITH the profits you made. In no time you will start to see your investment grow. And As everyone on here has said- Selling is truly the hardest part of all this. BUT once you get to the point where you NEED to sell you will find a way.

At The end of the day ask yourself WHY are you collecting. Is it to make $$ if so then what kind of investor are you? flipper. long term ect ect. Is it to grow your personal collection? Once you have your reasons your comfort starting cash flow and what kind of collector you are then your set. If your hesitant now then I feel you may have jumped the gun and didn't finish your research on this subject. 

• Like 1