7 Projects Qualify for the Second 2017 LEGO Ideas Review

MrToes16

Not sure if this was brought up yet.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/eb30a864-2ad5-46d9-804b-121383e684df

7 Projects Qualify for the Second 2017 LEGO Ideas Review

5047613-Projects_in_Review-puZPln3mN2XMOw-thumbnail-full.png

The Third 2017 LEGO Ideas Review qualifying period ended this Monday morning, January 8th at 12:00 a.m. Central European Time or GMT+1.

We are thrilled to celebrate the 7 great projects that have gathered 10,000 supporters between the months of early September 2017 and early January 2018. Congrats to all members who've made it this far!

Something unique about this review period is that 3 projects that have qualified were created by the same LEGO Ideas member, namely RobenAnne; the creator of the 21310 Old Fishing Store. This feat is something we've never seen before!  

Although we're still working our way through the current 10K Club Interviews, we are greatly looking forward to welcoming and celebrating the next talented builders.

Although I like the builds for the sea themed modulars, I would rather see different Idea categories since we already got Fishing Store and now Ship in the Bottle. Best to keep the themes fresh since it is supposed to inspire creativity.

Is Jaguar going to be a licensing issue?

I guess my vote would be for the pop-up book.

I am guessing it might be the pop-up book, too. I would like to see the Jag, but they just ended the last Ideas car so I would think they are looking for something new.

The pop-up book just isn't that impressive though unless I am missing something. I think what I mean is that it just doesn't look like it would be fun to build.

I like the Christmas story house, hopefully comes with crate “FRAGILE”. 

Like it too, voted for it right after my visit this summer to the original house in Cleveland (recommended if you like the movie!). They had the set on display there with a plea for votes...

Unfortunately, from my experience this movie is pretty much unknown outside of North America. Not that regional specificity (is that a word? Claiming it!) stopped TLG from releasing Dr. Who .... Also, the house does need some work, as it looks a bit bland in LEGO form. Would be cool to have various scenes inside though ... a place to hide under the sink, a phone in the upstairs hallway, the kids bedroom, a Christmas tree with a desk and a gun hidden behind it, etc.

I would like to see the three RobenAnne creations released as a kind of secondary modular line, one per year. The Old Fishing Store was a fantastic build and it would be wonderful to have more sets to compliment it.

My young kids loved playing with it more than any other set to date. Both of them were fascinated with all of the details and had fun creating scenes with it.

The book is clever but would need significant polishing before release to be viable.

The Jaguar is nicely done and seems to be the most likely to actually get selected, barring any licensing issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrabslayerT said:

Like the look of the Jag, but it'll probably be the pop-up book that gets the go-ahead. Similar to the maze, in that it can be easily MOC'd to different stories

I think the book would work better than the maze if they are able to package a couple different "story" builds at the start. Maybe selling add-on packs would work but better to show what you can do day one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

Now if they gave us the Griswold's house with the RV in the front, we'd be onto something.

Amen to that!  I'm not sure anyone has given it the appropriate Ideas treatment, but that's a set I'd love to see.

From this group, I think the Jag or the Christmas Story house have the best chances of being selected.  The most interesting part of this review period is that I think it will force TLG to comment on the overall, and ongoing popularity of RobenAnne's work.  By the summer, they should have 9+ months of sales data on the fishing store.  Perhaps, instead of selecting another RobenAnne set, they will use this review period to announce an ongoing line of sets from this sea theme.  If they did a new set every 12, or even every 24 months, I think they'd have a winner.

18 hours ago, Sandwraith said:

The others just don't seem desirable to me at all, maybe the Jag, but they don't seem to want to make ideas cars or something.

I think you forgot the Caterham Seven car that was produced as an official Ideas set. But I think the direct involvement of Caterham, working with TLG on design and promotion of the set, was a deciding factor in LEGO releasing this set. Maybe Caterham was so thrilled to have an official LEGO set of one of their cars that they didn't charge TLG licensing fees, considering the LEGO set as free promotion of their brand and car ? Win-Win situation for both Caterham and TLG...

Question is whether Jaguar would be interested to give LEGO the same kind of input and support during the creation of the set. If Jaguar does show the same support as Caterham, then I can see the Jaguar model become a real set.

4 hours ago, thedingman5 said:

Isn't Voltron still pending?  I wonder if they'll use time that release with this wave's announcement to sort of distract from the "no sets were selected" judgment... 

Voltron isn't pending any longer. It's officially approved and will be turned into a real set. Remains to be seen which set comes out first, after the upcoming Ship in a Bottle. Either the TRON Legacy set, or the Voltron set...

• Like 1

Old Fishing Store is my favourite set of 2017 but too much is too much. I don't understand how the Lego community gathered around IDEAS can vote for those things knowing that LEGO will struggle with choosing the right one with just recently released OFS. Jaguar is meh.
People's submitted projects are jumping between (modular) buildings and cars. Nothing in between... and they say LEGO is all about the creativity.  Because of that I've started appreciating Wall-E and Maze even more.