Prince of Persia

Blackjack

I found some Prince of Persia sets (7573) on sale. The price is 40% of RRP. Is it smart to buy these? Or should I leave them where they are?

Unless the sets are at a really high discount like 75% off or more, I would leave them. Only at a a really high discount, you can make a decent profit if you sell them.

Or, better yet, i think PoP stuff will be a perfect backdrop for upcoming Cantina set. Too bad there are not enough domes in PoP sets...

thumb_bp_1395431650__mos_eisley.jpg

Full-res here: '>

That would be a good idea, but it would take a lot of sets to recreate that scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a lot of great PoP sets on clearance a few years ago, they are great for MOC's since I have no interest in ever building the sets again, the parts have come in handy big time though and I am very glad I got them, lots of great minifigs, animals and parts.

If you want to sell and turn a profit, don't - you won't.

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Hanno101 said:

It was the coolest computer game when I was a kid. The sets offer a unique Arabian theme and unusual pieces. Why has it not worked?

Well, I'm guessing ... The MOVIE that the Lego sets were based on (which in itself was based on a computer game), was targeted mostly at the 12-26 age bracket. And that's more or less the age group that mostly considers LEGO a kids toy which they feel they're too old to play with. So the Lego sets vs the movie was a mismatch between target audiences.

The overall theme rode with the disastrous film. I mean, of course, Jake Gyellanhal can play a Persian dude!

There are solid stand out pieces, like the camel figure that is worth $17-$20, but not much else. I did get a ton of cheap bricks for sand Mocs from these sets when no one was bidding on lots at goodwill online. 

Huge fan of the game trilogy (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones), but even i didn't like the sets. I bought 1 just to have the main minifgiures and that's it, the actual set was just re-purposed into my LEGO bins.

Hell my username and profile pic are based on a creature from the series!

Edited by Sandwraith

10 hours ago, Hanno101 said:

It was the coolest computer game when I was a kid. The sets offer a unique Arabian theme and unusual pieces. Why has it not worked?

POP had lots of potential but landed at completely the wrong time unfortunately...  Personally I really liked the movie (cast was acceptable & did a pretty good job performance wise, Gemma was cinematically awesome...)  

Unfortunately the movie fell right up against the hypetrain from the HP Deathly Hallows (which was supposed to be the greatest HP films of the series, & in two parts) HP 3rd edition sets (4th for Hogfarts I think) were already released, the race was on to acquire Bellatrix who alone could sell for more than the cost of the entire Burrows set which ya could hardly find anywhere. Then the craziness that was the debut of the collectible minifigs deflected huge amounts of attention.  I think also the younger crowd was knee deep in Toy Story sets completely ignoring sets based on a movie they probably hadn't even seen while the older folks after the success of the modular such as  FB, CC & GG were clammering for the GE, (even buying at rrsp!)  IaJ sets from the year or so before were super popular still but hitting dumping-level discounts everywhere for no reason, though if I remember rightly the rumours of the Zellers dept store chain collapse started about that time as well (Canadian reference) and also  SW had a nutty run of, which at the time, were pretty good sets that year.   Just too much competition with other better Lego lines didn't give it much chance to go anywhere.

Having myself invested in 3-4 hundred pop sets on clearance, it was unfortunate to see after the fact... nearly all of em went to part-out in the past couple of years not being worth the hold any longer.

edit: BTW if anyone in the Ottawa area is looking, PVT still had POP sets on the shelf (endcap facing the back wall) a month or two ago... probably still there...

Edited by Thumper

1 minute ago, Sandwraith said:

Good ole PVT!

Kinda liked 'em better when they rented crappy roof-leaking space in the rundown warehouse next to that shady "adult toys & movie" place. They'd have stacks and stacks of discount & clearance Lego all over the place... now that they own their own building & have a web presence there appears to be no need to discount anything much.  who knew play structures were such a huge business!

• Like 1

There are plenty of reasons and/or ideas behind the unfortunate failure of the theme from the underperforming film to a conspiracy of LEGO Disney sets being cursed (as investments). Whatever the case may actually be, the sets did feature some neat minifigures and a nice assortment of pieces in "earthy" tones.

• Like 1