42083 - Bugatti Chiron

Val-E

The Bugatti vehicles are far more than a 'sports car'.  One of my former clients years ago has one and it's one of only a handful currently owned in the US.  There's a vetting process and interview to prove "worthy" of such a vehicle and outside of the $3M price, when it is time for maintenance, you have to fly in one of the mechanics from Bugatti (located in France), to the US.  Average yearly maintenance is about $85-100K/year.  Must be nice as the closest thing I'll ever get is perhaps this Lego model!  It'll be interesting to see how this sells and to whom, because there are 1/8 and 1/18 models of these, which go for anywhere from $500-$15,000.  

You might not think it's a day 1 purchase yet, but TLG knows how to hook you now:

LIMITED EDITION, COLLECTIBLE LEGO TECHNIC DRIVER LICENSE VIP CARD

Get your new LEGO Technic Bugatti Chiron on 1 August, 2018 and receive a collectible driver license VIP card with your name on it!  With the card, you'll enjoy a full year* of Technic-themed offers throughout 2019!

*Offers may not actually occur "throughout" the year.  Probably more like once or twice. And don't ask what these things might be, just trust us, they'll be awesome**.  And even if there ends up being nothing extra offered, you've got the special VIP card and the great set, so do you really need anything else?

**Items may not be that awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, supergman said:

The Bugatti vehicles are far more than a 'sports car'.  One of my former clients years ago has one and it's one of only a handful currently owned in the US.  There's a vetting process and interview to prove "worthy" of such a vehicle and outside of the $3M price, when it is time for maintenance, you have to fly in one of the mechanics from Bugatti (located in France), to the US.  Average yearly maintenance is about $85-100K/year.  Must be nice as the closest thing I'll ever get is perhaps this Lego model!  It'll be interesting to see how this sells and to whom, because there are 1/8 and 1/18 models of these, which go for anywhere from $500-$15,000.  

The whole vetting process to prove worthiness is just bulls**t to feed ego's and drive up desirability. As i understand it they haven't even sold their full first batch allocation, as a lot of Veyron owners feel tricked by the many versions of the Veyron that came out, and the fact that it was supposed to be a "Concorde moment", never to be repeated car. 

After all most Bugatti owners are just resellers like us who get p**sed off with re-releases hurting their investments.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The whole vetting process to prove worthiness is just bulls**t to feed ego's and drive up desirability. As i understand it they haven't even sold their full first batch allocation, as a lot of Veyron owners feel tricked by the many versions of the Veyron that came out, and the fact that it was supposed to be a "Concorde moment", never to be repeated car. 

After all most Bugatti owners are just resellers like us who get p**sed off with re-releases hurting their investments.

On the other hand, at least Jaguar only produced one XK220 range that has now proved to be a good investment. I wonder how well the new lightweight E-Type will do? Bugatti looks great on paper, but who would pay millions for a VW only to have it rehashed soon after. They don't have ex-LEGO management, do they? ;-)

I think the vetting process is crap as anybody with half a brain would reel in a punter quickly if they had the money, I certainly would! It all stinks of nepotism to me.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2018 at 9:56 AM, supergman said:

Amazing what people will blow money on.  Oh well, to each his own.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw they are moving the release date up, or at least VIP release date, to June 1st for the Bugatti Chiron. The mini website is up and running, too, complete with down to the second countdown. 

It’s a tough time to be released for me because I’ve really gotten into Technic sets recently, including finishing the 42000 about a week ago. 

Maybe the Porsche 911 gts set will drop a little bit once this lands, and I can scratch my itch with it instead.....

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Hmmm... it look nowhere as good as the Porsche in that last photo. Anyway we all know that it'll probably be stacked up high on shelves and heavily discounted like the Porsche is. I know there's the chance of an early quick-flip, but business sellers in the UK have to honour a minimum 14-day return policy.

I don't think the Bugatti is for me (I still don't have a Porsche!), but that new crane looks the bollox.

56 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Hmmm... it look nowhere as good as the Porsche in that last photo. Anyway we all know that it'll probably be stacked up high on shelves and heavily discounted like the Porsche is. I know there's the chance of an early quick-flip, but business sellers in the UK have to honour a minimum 14-day return policy.

I don't think the Bugatti is for me (I still don't have a Porsche!), but that new crane looks the bollox.

This. In terms of value for money the crane will blow this out of the water. Finding a space to put it in will be the challenge ?

I’ll certainly be taking my time picking a Chiron up, if at all.

This. In terms of value for money the crane will blow this out of the water. Finding a space to put it in will be the challenge

I’ll certainly be taking my time picking a Chiron up, if at all.

I’ll guess you guys are referring to the rough terrain crane....it looks very impressive and quite sophisticated in its construction and function!
My opinions are based on personal build and not investment bc neither one will be priced for me to get more than one.....

Aesthetics: car > crane, BUT not a fan of blue and I really don’t know what the Bugatti will look like, particularly how well they can make it flow and curve. Hoping it will be a very dark midnight blue, but zero percent chance of that!!!

Playability: probably crane >> car depending on durability and ease of reconstruction.

Technique/ build complexity: not sure how this will shake out.

The winner of my money?Jury’s out. Probably Porsche. Although I’m still hoping it will drop in price...and miraculously change color to black or racing green!!!

Thanks for bringing the crane to my attention. A spending freeze at my house has kept me away from the forum, and the crane completely went under my radar!!!

Keep on keepin’ on.

I’m a big Fan of the Bugatti engine design with its multi stage turbo, crazy headers, and massive engine build....it will be interesting to see how true Bugatti and the Lego group replicate this engineering mostrostisy under the body panels.

If in fact this was the goal, the build will be epic in comparison to the 42056, and That build is fanomnal in its own right(except that pesky gear fubar-lol) 

6B1D87F9-F95C-476A-B552-11C079F8A503.jpeg

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Invitees to the PR stunt are also getting their review copies this week so someone somewhere will leak it soon.

they have the sets already. was distributed among the reviewers and partners this week. Sariel confirmed that on Polish RLUG group that he has received his copy already.
1st NDA will be lifted.

edit.
I'm genuinely amazed by the fact it wasn't really affected by the leaks etc. I'm impressed.

Edited by Shewie